Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Soldato
Anyone know the current 991.1 C2S warranty pricing? They seem to be settling under 50k now and I'm sorely tempted as an alternative to an R8 facelift, but running costs scare me (much like the R8 in fairness...).

Soldato
Anyone know the current 991.1 C2S warranty pricing? They seem to be settling under 50k now and I'm sorely tempted as an alternative to an R8 facelift, but running costs scare me (much like the R8 in fairness...).

IIRC a friend who has a 911 50 (pretty much a C2S underneath I believe) mentioned it being around £1200pa, not including the breakdown/recovery add-on.

Soldato

The running costs of a 991 are very low compared to all other sports cars. Warranty is about £1k per year or less I think without road side assistance.

servicing is not too bad every 2 years.

Soldato
The running costs of a 991 are very low compared to all other sports cars. Warranty is about £1k per year or less I think without road side assistance.

servicing is not too bad every 2 years.

Is there a notable jump after a certain age/mileage? Anecdotally I've found reports of £200 for the 111 point inspection + £1950 for 2 years warranty, which is just about manageable. Do you get that £200 back or put towards the warranty balance?

olv

olv

Soldato
Why don't you just bank the cash and keep it in a slush fund?

The chances of any significant failure on a Porsche newer than 2009 is really quite low. Risky engines are gone (except for the 991.1 GT3 3.8), PDK has proved to be robust, you would have to be fairly unlucky or have a bit of a ropey car to get the value out of the warranty over an extended time frame.

Soldato
Why don't you just bank the cash and keep it in a slush fund?

The chances of any significant failure on a Porsche newer than 2009 is really quite low. Risky engines are gone (except for the 991.1 GT3 3.8), PDK has proved to be robust, you would have to be fairly unlucky or have a bit of a ropey car to get the value out of the warranty over an extended time frame.

Not worth the risk IMO. It soon pays for itself if you have any issues, £150/h labour + courtesy car adds up real quick! It will be my only car and my daily, I can't be without it.

olv

olv

Soldato
Don't forget to factor in the cost of any remediation work found during the inspection as well. And irritating things like needing to use N spec tyres.

Soldato
Starting to think about cars I can buy and keep short term, 6 months - 1 year. The Subaru isn't going anywhere, so this will be a "daily" but I work from home 3-4 days a week now.

Is £15k for a manual Cayman S possible, and is it something possible without losing much over the short ownership period? Also, I remember hearing about a shorter final drive for the gearbox? The only thing I didn't like about the Cayman was the overly long gears..

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there a notable jump after a certain age/mileage? Anecdotally I've found reports of £200 for the 111 point inspection + £1950 for 2 years warranty, which is just about manageable. Do you get that £200 back or put towards the warranty balance?

no.

you can get the 111p check done for half price if you do it the same time is the service normally.

You can also save a couple of hundred pounds on your price if you remove the Porsche assist.

Always do the 111 point check before the warranty expires. Ideally if you can find a car with a minimum of three months warranty remaining. Putting another warranty on Should not be a problem.

Soldato
Starting to think about cars I can buy and keep short term, 6 months - 1 year. The Subaru isn't going anywhere, so this will be a "daily" but I work from home 3-4 days a week now.

Is £15k for a manual Cayman S possible, and is it something possible without losing much over the short ownership period? Also, I remember hearing about a shorter final drive for the gearbox? The only thing I didn't like about the Cayman was the overly long gears..

If your mileage isn’t particularly high, your logic seems sound. Porsches are very mileage sensitive in their resale values. There are the usual cayman gremlins to watch out for like IMS, RMS and bore scoring, but if you’re happy to do a pre purchase inspection or take a chance then you’ll have an awful lot of car for your cash. My worry is that a £15k cayman might be a bit unloved and you might spend a lot of time looking at tired examples.

olv

olv

Soldato

A £15k Cayman S will be a 987.1 and the risk of bore scoring in the engine will be very real. So I’d rule it out.

You would however be able to get a 987.2 Boxster S for £15k which would cost you almost nothing to run for a year. Plus the roof comes off which is more fun.

Soldato
A £15k Cayman S will be a 987.1 and the risk of bore scoring in the engine will be very real. So I’d rule it out.

You would however be able to get a 987.2 Boxster S for £15k which would cost you almost nothing to run for a year. Plus the roof comes off which is more fun.

I can't even see a 2.9 boxster for less than £16.5k on pistonheads. I agree if you can afford the later model then that's the one to go for, but the 987.1 is a lot of car for the cash if you find a good one!

olv

olv

Soldato
I can't even see a 2.9 boxster for less than £16.5k on pistonheads. I agree if you can afford the later model then that's the one to go for, but the 987.1 is a lot of car for the cash if you find a good one!

They start under £10k on autotrader. I tend to see enthusiasts over egging the value of their pride and joy on ph.

Not a lot seems to be shifting in the sports car world so I think there are bargains to be had.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201908111028678

Just an example but looks good if the history is there. Ok you’re not going to get a low mileage cherished car but I’d much rather a used Gen 2 than a low miles Gen 1.

Back
Top Bottom