Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Soldato
A 3.2 from 06 onwards shouldn’t have IMS issues or bore scoring. The 2.7 is seemingly pretty reliable.

Main non engine things to look for is air con condensers and coolant pipes corroding/leaking. Air con condensers can be done cheaply DIY but obviously will need an air con person to empty and refill the system. Coolant pipes can be anything from a few hundred to about a grand as if all need doing the front subframe needs to be dropped etc.

Soldato
I was thinking around £7 - 8000 at the very most. As I said, it'll do 1000 miles in the summer, so don't want to go mental.

Ive just purchased this 978 for £7500 from a dealer , not sure if he looked at the history but at 71,000 in Jan last year it has the RMS and IMS replaced cost the owner £2500 - Gulp . It’s now done 83,000 .

There are bargain out there and please I’m no Porsche expert as this is my first one but it seems history is everything with these cars .

Gus on the forums seems to go for a car with more miles on the clock and full documented history than a lower mileage car with none.

Get them whizzing up above 3000RPM on a country lane and believe you me it’s a driving experience not to be missed.

Hope you find one .

F44Dbgg\

Soldato
Both of them look spendy and a bit crap in my eyes.

Investment is not a word I'd associate with either.

If he wants something that 'might' retain some value in this range then why not look at the likes of a 997 GT3. A 997.2 Turbo PDK would also be a ballistic weapon, but might be a bit dull if he's looking for something to work a little.

I'd be putting my money in a 996 GT3 and making it an incredible example to enjoy.

Soldato
A 911 at that age and money will not be an investment unfortunately. Low depreciation for sure, but not making money.

997 turbos can be had for £40k and might not drop much further judging by how 996 turbo prices have held.

To “invest” you either need to buy a GT car or go older.

I would suggest that they decide which car they actually like to drive and then concentrate on it being a weekend toy.

EDIT: As a weekend toy and investment this would be better I reckon: https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/lis...611792&cId=10537579&cId=10768390&cId=10569688

olv

olv

Soldato
To be fair, the anniversary 991 is one of those odd ones that probably will do alright value wise. Porsche collectors love unique, and there’s lots that’s unique, wide body two wheel drive, Fuchs, one off interior. It’s still a lot of money and will still depreciate but there’s a lot to like.

Soldato
He ended up buying the red one! No idea if that's a good one but it looks awesome!

Associate
That anniversary 911 is gorgeous in that colour. It would be that one that would have my vote. But then, as an investment? Probably not, but I reckon it would help the resale value being the anniversary edition.

Associate
Did anyone else wince when Top Gear got the lovely little damaged Cayman S in the last episode?

It looked like a great little project car for someone with a little more spanner experience than me.

Soldato
So I've recently sold my Jaguar F-type R, with a view to replacing it with something in the new year. Unsurprisingly took a bit of a hit in terms of depreciation and so unsure what to do next. The F-type was obviously a bit of a hot rod, and so I'm worried I might find the lower end Porsche models a bit underwhelming in terms of excitement/theatre, although I'm sure better in terms of driving pleasure.

I recently drove a 981 GT4 which I thought was incredible, but realistically to get in one I'd have to borrow some money which I'm not hugely keen on. They seem to be beginning to drop in value too, so might be bad timing on my part. Then given they're essentially £70k my budget starts to creep slightly and I start looking at early 997 GT3s.

Then I knock myself back to earth and wonder whether to just outright buy something like a nice, lateish 997 Carrera S manual instead.

So my question, what would you do? Is the C2s going to be a bit dull, or is it going to be enjoyable enough to have for a couple of years to then work my way towards a GT3. Or just I just get geared up and get a GT3/GT4. GT3 at that money I assume is probably financial suicide without a fantastic warranty?

Thanks for any help/tips.
Tom

Soldato
The F-type was obviously a bit of a hot rod, I'm worried I might find the lower end Porsche models a bit underwhelming in terms of excitement/theatre, although I'm sure better in terms of driving pleasure.

That's pretty accurate from my experience, having gone the other way from a 2011 Cayman S (so fairly similar to a regular 997.2 911) to a V8S F-Type. My Cayman such a capable car that there was no sense of drama until scary speeds, the GT models are probably going to be worse in that respect but more of an event in general. The F-Type feels a lot quicker in a straight line if you can find somewhere to get the power down and long enough to go full throttle, but I was out with some friends in their 981 and 718 Boxsters and can't carry the same cornering speeds anymore, so swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Any manual Porsche is going to be quite different to your F-Type, PDK is a bit sharper when really pushing but it's not noticeably better than the F-Type's auto in normal driving.

I'd try and get some test drives to crystalise (or shatter!) any preconceptions and go from there - 981/718 S/GTS probably worth a look too.

Soldato
I guess it depends on what you're after in a car. If you really want a B road blaster to thread between the hedges, then a 981/718 would suit perfectly. It might be a bit short on drama though. Noise on my 997 is a little limited with the exhaust flaps closed and while it's rapid, you only get a real sense of speed when you're carrying ridiculous pace through twisty roads. I still maintain that it's far too capable for public roads as you need to be going very fast to feel the drama. The S2000 that I had before could be wrung out a lot more often on the road. 9,000 RPM in a GT3 I fear couldn't be enjoyed as often without serious risk to the licence.

For drama, especially at close to £70k you'll get into a TVR Sagaris! Or a T350 if you're on a tighter budget. Depends if reliability is high on the list I suppose!

Back
Top Bottom