Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

OcUK Staff
OP
On road trips my friends in Caymans (various types) definitely do seem to have more fun in the very twisty / narrow bits, but as soon as the road ever opens up they become more like annoying moving road blocks.

I don't really use my 3RSs for normal road driving, not boring as such, just not the right environment. If I owned a 458 I don't think I'd swap it for a 3RS, different cars for different days. A GT3 Touring, maybe...

Gotta have the big wing and the touring has same suspension as a GT3 so for me it’s gotta be the big wing car all day long. Guess once one becomes a GT3 owner then track days become a regular event, I do remember when I had my 911 I must have done 15-20 track days in it as even the regular cooking model was so good on track and been a Porsche it was so reliable even with a chocolate engine.

I’m not sure what gap in your collection a boxster spyder fills. Granted if you want a Porsche then that’s a really good option, but for road legal top down thrills you’ve got the S2000. If you want a coupe then the Vantage makes a good noise and goes pretty quickly too by all accounts.

This is way out of left field and it’s not a flat 6, but it is purple and has pop up headlights!
https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/12017136

Not for me and honestly I don’t think a Spyder is either and if I did get a Spyder like you say it would kind of render the S2000 useless though the S2000 has a better roof. Cayman R really favourite just guess I’m considering the PDK when I had one for a weekend it was like ten years ago and I can’t even remember if it was a manual or PDK.

Soldato
Gotta have the big wing and the touring has same suspension as a GT3 so for me it’s gotta be the big wing car all day long. Guess once one becomes a GT3 owner then track days become a regular event, I do remember when I had my 911 I must have done 15-20 track days in it as even the regular cooking model was so good on track and been a Porsche it was so reliable even with a chocolate engine.

Not for me and honestly I don’t think a Spyder is either and if I did get a Spyder like you say it would kind of render the S2000 useless though the S2000 has a better roof. Cayman R really favourite just guess I’m considering the PDK when I had one for a weekend it was like ten years ago and I can’t even remember if it was a manual or PDK.

JPDrHVr.jpg

eWyoJVp.jpg

OcUK Staff
OP

Damn good looking cars for sure, but I think for me I want one of the last analogue cars, though I do keep forgetting I have a Lotus Emira on order which in theory could fulfill all of this if I go ahead with the order. Or I just go all out GT3 RS, but there is no denying the 981/718 are damn good looking cars and its good you can option them with an NA engine and manual gearbox still. :)

Soldato
What do you mean they wouldn't sell you one? Is this car a bit like buying a Rolex where you need some kind of relationship with the dealer?

Think this slipped by.

Letters (emails) of intent were sent to OPCs as early as February this year. Most of the larger dealers were getting allocated 30 (15 of each 911 GT3 variant), but unless you're a large Porsche customer, and one of the dealers best, you're not getting this car (911 GT3). What's a large Porsche customer? Well, local OPC 911 GT3 allocation was 30 models. At the end of Feb, local OPC had 130 letters (emails) of intent. They had to filter this down to 30.

Top customer, has spent upwards of £1m with this OPC since March 2020. Let that sink in. £1m. Even if I made slot 31, it would be behind the customer who had spent £400k in the last 12 months.

Seems unfair, but Porsche know what they have and it's their loyalty to the customer (rather than the other way around) which is what seals the fate. It's also why a 992 Turbo S retails at £160k but you can have one second hand for well over £200k.... madness.

Soldato
Damn good looking cars for sure, but I think for me I want one of the last analogue cars, though I do keep forgetting I have a Lotus Emira on order which in theory could fulfill all of this if I go ahead with the order. Or I just go all out GT3 RS, but there is no denying the 981/718 are damn good looking cars and its good you can option them with an NA engine and manual gearbox still. :)
For some reason, Porsche have got this wrong. This needed the 4.0 NA flat 6 or 3.8 turbo (like they've been doing with other model GTS, take the engine from the model above and "detune" it). GTS is out for me.

Man of Honour
Had a nose around the new GT3 last week and confirm it looks better in the flesh than pictures. Red car in Wolves OPC. However when I walked out their was a blue 997.2 RS with no decals and for me that is the one. Stunning.

Soldato
Never noticed this threat, however I joined the club last month :)

Power is insane.

I really like the look of these. Real road presence and hella quick! My only concern would be that the interior might be a bit small - how does it compare to a Panamera in that respect?

EDIT - isn’t the 3.0 turbo in the 992 widely considered to be an excellent engine? I appreciate it’s not the 4.0 GT3, but in a way I agree that the GT3 needs to be the halo car with NA. If I ever wanted a newer 911 with this power plant I’d seriously consider a lesser model and heading to Litchfield for a tune.

The dealer strategy with Porsche has been very smart and keeps residuals high and forces used buyers into the main dealer network for both buying and servicing - something which is backed up by a brilliant warranty.

Last edited:
Associate
I really like the look of these. Real road presence and hella quick! My only concern would be that the interior might be a bit small - how does it compare to a Panamera in that respect?

To be honest I find it quite roomy, I have come from a Merc GTS and the interior feels about the same as that, the rear also isnt too bad, would say around a 3series sort of size. Boot however is abit smaller! Although happy to live with that with the speed, its eye watering.

Soldato
Taycan is huge though, around 5m by 2.1m wide with mirrors so I'd expect some decent cabin space.

I saw one park into a normal space and thought its too big tbh although 4 guys got out so it must be comfortable.

OcUK Staff
OP
That photo really doesn't do it justice. They look far nicer in the flesh.

This, I am no electric car fan but the styling certainly stands out, quite a lot of them around our way and they are easy to spot and its not because I think they are ugly but they are rather large looking on road.

Soldato
Another one from my recent trip to Norway.

Why sit inside the Bakery eating your lunch looking back at your lovely 964 Turbo, when you can just sit on the curb right in front of it :D

jEEzIRX.jpg

Caporegime
Started looking at a replacement for my 981 S. There's a couple of 981 spyders at the top end of my budget but tbh they feel like they'd be much of a muchness.
Same goes for the 718 gts.

My car has nigh on every option ticked, 40k miles. Am I daft to think about changing it for something so similar which will be slightly quicker but have lower spec? The biggest issue I have with mine is the infotainment although its forgiven with the top down and the exhaust note.

Soldato
Change the head unit and keep the car?

The 981 spyder is a wonderful machine and would be a worthy upgrade from a regular 981S IMO.

Quite a lot of other interesting cars for 981 spyder monies Porsche or otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom