Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

OcUK Staff
OP
GT3 winning:-

To be honest I think the 991 C2S or C4S would have also won, Porsche are simply in another league. Very interesting comment though from Chris on the Aston having better steering feedback though now because the 991 is electric.

Also am glad to see Chris is a full believer in the Michelins too, who also can't believe the grip the new cup 2 tyres can find in the wet, clear evidence that the cup 2 is full of all the supersport technologies for improved wet grip and longer life.

991 GT3 RS will be bonkers that is for sure. :eek:

Soldato
The GT3 is obviously awesome. Yet for some reason the appeal of a 'small' Aston with a V12 has never faded, I still think its really cool, and sounds great. If I had the money, I would probably go with it, because I like noise and prefer something a little more soft. But I don't...so...never-mind :p

OcUK Staff
OP
The GT3 is obviously awesome. Yet for some reason the appeal of a 'small' Aston with a V12 has never faded, I still think its really cool, and sounds great. If I had the money, I would probably go with it, because I like noise and prefer something a little more soft. But I don't...so...never-mind :p

Id be happy to be honest with any of those three, they are all out of this world amazing. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

A very impressive video:-

Like how he is talking in detail through the lap, GT3 4s a lap quicker in the dry though and it did not set on fire. :eek:

On a bad note, my Porsche just had a service, they discovered a rear spring had snapped, so both needed replacing and the rear alignment re-doing, so the service price has double. I am enjoying the brand new Boxster S PDK Sport+ I have for the weekend though, but will not enjoy the spanking my wallet is about to get. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Replaced my climate control lcd display.. Notice the broken moon effect at the top

velpicstitch20140307_120928_zpsapx8xmua.jpg

Over the moon, the repair kit I had to order from the states but has saved me buying a new climate unit which would have cost hundreds!

Soldato
After driving the F-Type V6S last week I borrowed this today

Its a brand new Cayman S with PDK and hideous red leather interior. It had a fair selection of options on including the PCM, PASM, Chronopack, Bose and few others.

I'd previously driven the Gen 1 Cayman and had liked that but this was superb. It handled all road types very well, including rutted old tarmac, town driving, country lanes and motorway. The engine whilst having no where near the torque spread of the supercharged v6 in the F Type was still a delight to drive and flew to the red line.

Was very impressed with the gearbox and how quickly and smoothly it would shift in both auto and manual modes. The car had the PDK wheel with the buttons rather than the paddles, but was ok to use them still, just would have preferred the paddles.

It was a lot of fun to sling down the back roads and would be fine for me to use when I go away with work as the front boot is big enough to take a case and the rear has a bit of space too, unlike the F-Type convertible which would not have been big enough.

Interior wise it is well put together and laid out, but the Nav feels a little dated, although all other function on the system were handled well. Nice to have DAB and the Bose system was also pretty decent.

All in all I'm very impressed and now have the Boxster S and Cayman S on my list of things to consider.

OcUK Staff
OP
J1nxy

Did it have Sport Plus?

This Boxster S I have for weekend, should have being Cayman S but someone broke it, so they gave me Boxster S PDK with Sport Plus with the paddles steering wheel.

Really the grip this thing has even in the wet and on greasy roads, well I am calling it a Mini-GTR, it just finds grip and it just goes.

But the suspension and PDK is too competent because just like a GTR the speeds you are going at before you feel like your going fast and well you'd loose your license. Its too capable in some ways, they have become a little too good.

Yes a truly awesome car and more capable than previous generations and they are certainly lively, move around a lot. But for feel/feedback and not having to drive at warp 10 to enjoy it I think the very last generation Cayman R and Boxster Spyder are better more fun cars.

If it has Sports Plus, make sure you use it and change up on limiter, very good. :)

Soldato
Gibbo, Do you think that is the problem with a lot of these new cars (not just Porsche and Nissan).
A lot of manufacturers are too focused on ring times and not making cars fun to drive on the public roads without going 100mph+ in to corners to feel that you are pushing it.

Its one of the reasons why I sold the GTR, I was driving too fast and anything less was a bit boring.

And J1nxy, I love those full red interiors :p

Soldato
It had sports plus which I used a few times, but to me it drove very well without having to go into license losing speeds. Throwing it down the back roads was a lot of fun even on mixed surfaces and different levels of grip, never felt like it was going to loose the back on me, which is how I like to drive things anyway.

The red leather would have been fine if it was just the seats but all red is horribly jarring to stare at all the time...

OcUK Staff
OP
It had sports plus which I used a few times, but to me it drove very well without having to go into license losing speeds. Throwing it down the back roads was a lot of fun even on mixed surfaces and different levels of grip, never felt like it was going to loose the back on me, which is how I like to drive things anyway.

The red leather would have been fine if it was just the seats but all red is horribly jarring to stare at all the time...

You are right, but it might be because what I am coming from, the 911 is talking a lot more to me as a driver and I don't have to peddle it as quick to get the same sensation. I can go faster easier in the Boxster S PDK, the 911 I have to work more for it, that's the challenge and that is what I love.

When not pushing on or a b-road blast, then yes the Boxster is comfier, the PDK is truly superb and its so spot on, its a car which can do the daily slow so well and can turn into a b-road warrior with some loud pedal.

Soldato
I booked my car in for service and have requested a manual boxster for the day, was debating a Cayman but I'm hoping for some good weather.

I dislike the way Porsche do the whole red thing, red seats and inserts would be fine, but not the whole bloody thing!

OcUK Staff
OP
Gibbo, Do you think that is the problem with a lot of these new cars (not just Porsche and Nissan).
A lot of manufacturers are too focused on ring times and not making cars fun to drive on the public roads without going 100mph+ in to corners to feel that you are pushing it.

Its one of the reasons why I sold the GTR, I was driving too fast and anything less was a bit boring.

See my reply to J1nxy but in short yes. OK its nice to be able to drive very fast quite easily and one could argue safely as the car is so well accomplished, but fact remains your going far too fast.

I come back to the 911 and its a different drive, more challenging and feels a lot more communitive. These new cars seem to get very playful, moving/sliding around when your pushing harder, great fun but your moving very quickly......

Soldato
If I buy one it will be my car, we will have a small SUV for my Mrs, so it'll be used to go to customers site, drive up and down the motorway as well as when i want a bit of fun. So for me the PDK and every day usability of the car but then able to have some fun when i want is more important than the outright handling and challenge of the car.

Man of Honour
Hi guys, apart from IMS and bore scoring, is there anything else to look for apart from the usual on the 987 Boxster S 3.4?

What mods can be done and at what cost to give it a little nudge in the power department?

Soldato

Is the R8 in your sig your new car? The speed of the GTR on public roads is the only thing that puts me off it. Within a couple seconds, on any road, from any speed, you can be well over the limit without even thinking about it.

Back
Top Bottom