Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Soldato
OcUK Staff
OP
Hi guys, apart from IMS and bore scoring, is there anything else to look for apart from the usual on the 987 Boxster S 3.4?

What mods can be done and at what cost to give it a little nudge in the power department?

In short:-
Panel filter: £70
GT3 throttle body and plenum: £500
Exhaust system with high flow cats: £500 - £5000 depending on what you go for
Softronic remap: £500

That should give 30-40BHP and put the car around 345-355BHP. :)

IMS can go and most likely to happen sub 50,000 miles, so higher mileage cars less likely. Bore scoring too but you can avoid that with an inspection.

Associate
On a bad note, my Porsche just had a service, they discovered a rear spring had snapped, so both needed replacing and the rear alignment re-doing, so the service price has double. I am enjoying the brand new Boxster S PDK Sport+ I have for the weekend though, but will not enjoy the spanking my wallet is about to get. :D

Just getting them done at the OPC Gibbo?

Associate
Yes m8, so lube was required. :D

ROFL!
Hope you got treated well in the showroom - tea/coffee etc "the experience" is the latest focus.

Would have sorted a deal for you but you'd still need them fitted so probably makes sense and you can get a geo done at the same time.

Man of Honour
In short:-
Panel filter: £70
GT3 throttle body and plenum: £500
Exhaust system with high flow cats: £500 - £5000 depending on what you go for
Softronic remap: £500

That should give 30-40BHP and put the car around 345-355BHP. :)

IMS can go and most likely to happen sub 50,000 miles, so higher mileage cars less likely. Bore scoring too but you can avoid that with an inspection.

Excellent Gibbo, thanks. Will probably quiz you at the meet.

Soldato
Gibbo, Do you think that is the problem with a lot of these new cars (not just Porsche and Nissan).
A lot of manufacturers are too focused on ring times and not making cars fun to drive on the public roads without going 100mph+ in to corners to feel that you are pushing it.

Its one of the reasons why I sold the GTR, I was driving too fast and anything less was a bit boring.

And J1nxy, I love those full red interiors :p

No I agree with you whole heartedly JP. It's why I bought a manual transmission F430 instead of a 458 and why the MP4 is now gone as well. It was a reality check for me when I first drove the 430, made me realize what I'd been missing all these years! There's no doubt that these newer cars are extremely fast and will set far better lap times than the models they replaced but there's something to be said for the experience and fun factor that can't be replicated with electronics and making them better daily drivers.

OcUK Staff
OP
[ui]ICEMAN;25973586 said:
No I agree with you whole heartedly JP. It's why I bought a manual transmission F430 instead of a 458 and why the MP4 is now gone as well. It was a reality check for me when I first drove the 430, made me realize what I'd been missing all these years! There's no doubt that these newer cars are extremely fast and will set far better lap times than the models they replaced but there's something to be said for the experience and fun factor that can't be replicated with electronics and making them better daily drivers.

This!
I've driven the Boxster S for hours today, some of my favourite roads and it is hugely capable but at the same time your going hugely fast, it does 75mph in 2nd, lol. People are shocked by how fast and how much grip it has. Even with the roof down blasting everywhere you have to push hard to get the thrills and your going very quick. I think with PASM completely off it would do the most epic slides with great balance and control, but it's not my car so I am not going there, but in Sports mode it let's you have some nice angles and it seems very predictable and easy to control, mid-engine balance for you. :)

I think the last Gen from Porsche was better, Cayman R or Boxster Spyder just as capable but a lot more thrilling and communitive at lower speeds.

Just like how people are searching for 997.2 GT3 RS's the last of the best drivers cars from Porsche. The 981 and 991 move the ability up a notch and they set faster ring times and make better everyday cars, but they are not as enjoyable for a fun weekend drive, but are still enjoyable of course.

Like Dave says Ferrari 430 and 360 before it are probably the most driver focused modern cars they did, the new ones are to obsessed with lap times....

Still after this little rant you can't deny the new Boxster S is bloody awesome and the PDK Sport Plus well I'd choose it over a manual, as it's so close but so much better around town or cruising when you an auto too. I shall be enjoying the sun again tomorrow in the Boxster S, roof down motoring, great fun. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Gibbo have you driven the new 7 speed manual?

I guess gearboxes like that will have to be the future for manual sports cars to meet the EU C02 and fuel economy specifications, or everything will be 7 or 8 speed DCT/PDK and autos.

I am pretty happy to be getting a 6 speed N/A V10. I don't think the Huracán and then the new R8 will have a manual option but could be wrong.

Sure they sell less manuals but it sucks for them to take away the option if its just down to meeting EU regulations and not performance figures alone.

Soldato

I guess gearboxes like that will have to be the future for manual sports cars to meet the EU C02 and fuel economy specifications, or everything will be 7 or 8 speed DCT/PDK and autos.

I am pretty happy to be getting a 6 speed N/A V10. I don't think the Huracán and then the new R8 will have a manual option but could be wrong.

Sure they sell less manuals but it sucks for them to take away the option if its just down to meeting EU regulations and not performance figures alone.

I have and didn't like it. It just felt a bit too woolly compared to the previous 6 in the 997, and the 7th speed was annoying as you sometimes caught the notch going from 4-5th. The idea is good in principal to assist with the emissions and keep the manual alive, but it needs work.

Need to bring back overdrive :D

Soldato
Interesting, I wanted to test one but no local Porsche dealer and anything used near by are all still older models.

Since 7th is really only for cruising? It would seem to me that pushing the stick down and to the side to engage it similar to getting into reverse would make sense to avoid any catching when doing 4-5th.

Are any other manufacturers doing 7 speed manuals or just Porsche?

Soldato
Interesting, I wanted to test one but no local Porsche dealer and anything used near by are all still older models.

Since 7th is really only for cruising? It would seem to me that pushing the stick down and to the side to engage it similar to getting into reverse would make sense to avoid any catching when doing 4-5th.

Are any other manufacturers doing 7 speed manuals or just Porsche?

Guessing Colchester is your local?

I think that would be best, the problem is I don't like those either, much prefer a solid stick with no play.

I think it's only Porsche and Corvette at the moment.

Soldato
Yeah Colchester, but I'm not driving down there! The A140 sucks and it's bad enough going as far as Long Stratton to see the Aston Martins :D

I will stop in at the Cambridge location some time when I am down that way.

OcUK Staff
OP

Yes. Its OK but as Solid says, the 6 speed is better.

PDK Sports Plus is really very good, tries to simulates the bang SMG does on gear changes and does it quite well, but in full manual mode, Sports Plus enabled even though a manual would be a little more engaging, I am not missing a stick and am enjoying the paddles. It will even bounce of the limiter just like SMG does. :)

Couple of images:-

photo4.jpg~original

photo3.jpg~original

Such a good looking bit of kit and yeah OK letting Porsche replace the springs on my 911 has probably cost me about £150 more than I could have done it for, but hell having this for the last few days and a weekend like this weekend with the sun shining has being well worth it. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Go and see what they'd give you for it against a new Cayman S ;)

I actually went and spec'd myself up a Cayman S earlier this week, exactly how I'd want it:-
20mm lowered Sports suspension
Bucket seats
Sports Chrono, engine mounts etc.
PDK Sports Plus
19" wheels
Ceramic brakes
PCM Satnav/Bose
Alcantera Sports Plus steering wheel
Dark grey colour
Yellow seatbelts
Yellow Calipers

It looked amazing, with a specification focused on maximum handling and performance keeping weight to an absolute minimum.

By the time I had finished I had added more in options that what they'd give me for my 911, forget that then.

That is why buying a second hand Cayman S (981) is so hard because so many have spec I would not want, for me sports suspension (NOT PASM), mechanical diff, vectoring, 19" wheels, ceramics and bucket seats are things I would really want.

Sachs clutch kit ordered (plate, clutch & bearing), £320 delivered, not so bad.
Also ordered from Porsche:-
Slave cylinder
release fork
ball pin for fork
spring clamp for fork
sealing ring
guide tube
bolts

Basically changing everything whilst in there, flywheel should be fine, if not will have to get one of those at COUGH £700 but getting no chatter or rattles so it should be OK, clutch is just slipping very badly, even in 2nd gear.

So the 911 is staying, gonna put the ceramics back on too. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Need a 981 Boxster S - they look so nice

And the drive is bloody amazing to be honest Simon.

The one I had this weekend, is within 1-2mph on my 911 at every landmark, so OK its a good 50BHP down, but its PDK+ box and 100kg lighter makes up for that 50BHP less.

I really did enjoy it and though I admit it looks awesome, particular with roof down, I do still prefer the Cayman in the looks and supposedly according to the press the Cayman is a little more capable, assuming that's from rigidy of the body from being a coupe and not convertible?

Back
Top Bottom