Porsche Taycan 4S: Driven

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
After a couple of weeks of arranging things and making sure everything was aligned, earlier today I called into my local OPC where I got to spend about 2.5 hours looking at, talking about and finally driving the new Porsche Taycan 4S. Here's something of a review, or at least a commentary of my thoughts.

First of all - the dealership experience. Even in this Covid-19 world, things were very good. I know they are trying to sell cars but in the lead-up to today everything has been like clockwork, calls responded to on time, commitments met etc etc. They seem really committed to selling these cars and want them to do well. Everything up to this point has represented their brand and car extremely well. BMW, Mercedes and Tesla would do well to pay attention to this.

So, the car. It is a 70-plate Taycan 4S in Volcano Grey Metallic with the optional 20-inch Sport Aero wheels. The car I tested did not have the Performance Battery Plus specified, meaning it is the 79.2kW/h variant putting out 429hp (522 with Overboost). It has the extended leather interior and a few other options like the Porsche Electric Sport Sound - more on that later...

8SSYjys.jpg

eL6K8EA.jpg

GYEel4G.jpg

I think the Taycan is one of those cars that is particularly sensitive to colour. In some of the colours, it looks absolutely "right" and in others it looks quite chunky and out of proportion. I am a big fan of blue cars, my M2 is in Long Beach Blue and I've had a number of blue cars over the years but I think for this car the Gentian and Frozen blue colours don't work. I would have to see a Neptune Blue car in the flesh before ordering, but I think it is safest to buy in black or one of the greys.

I know looks are subjective but I think from most angles this is a really good looking car, especially compared to the Teslas it is competing against.

qUZTYv2.jpg

The interior of the car looks great and feels very solid everywhere. I couldn't find any areas of obviously sketchy build quality and there are certainly absolutely no interior squeaks/rattles/creaks or any other source of unwanted noise. The wheel feels quite small but that fits with the whole ethos of the car - it feels small around you without being claustrophobic. The exterior dimensions of the car seem to just melt away when you sit inside - amazing considering it is just shy of 5m long and 2m wide. Contrasting this with my F06 640d GC which is almost identical in size and the difference is vast in terms of how the car feels. You are constantly aware that the 6 is a big car, whereas the Taycan really only reminds you of the size when you look over your left shoulder to check your blind spot and you realise there's a lot more car behind you than you think!

The dash and centre display screens I found to be extremely clear - much better than MBUX is in the A Class at least and much much higher quality than BMW's iDrive. They are bright, high resolution and very readable although my only complaint about the dash is that the screen's extremes are quite hidden by the wheel so to see those parts you have to move your head about a fair bit. A minor niggle perhaps, but a niggle nevertheless. The edges of the main dash screen are augmented with a series of buttons. The ones on the left control headlights and so on, while the ones on the right control things that aren't taken care of automatically like the suspension settings, ride height, TC and a customiseable button to do whatever else you might want there. The iPad-like lower middle console is also clear but slightly frustrating to use while driving. The third screen does everything you'd expect from an infotainment/car info perspective with a lot of overlap between it and the dash screen - for example you can display navigation maps in either or both screens. Buttons are big and obvious everywhere but when you're driving along I found I needed to look at what I was doing more than I would have liked for basic functions. There are absolutely no physical vent controls for example - to adjust the direction of the airflow you must move around little circles on the screen. Awesome when parked, irritating if not impossible when moving.

Rear space is passable. I am 6ft tall and I wouldn't want to sit behind the driver's seat for any length of time really. Little people and children would be totally fine, as would shorter journeys for taller people. The boot is pretty big for a car like this although with it being a saloon, the actual boot aperture is predictably poor. You'd fit lots of regular sized bags etc in there but forget about anything bulky getting past the opening even if it would otherwise have fitted in the boot.

How does it drive?

I wanted to sum this up in a single word but I can't. It is both absolutely ballistic but also completely serene. It might not have the numbers on paper to make my M2 feel totally pedestrian - but it does. Performance is on tap at all reasonable (and tbh, unreasonable) road speeds in sufficient quantities to make you laugh out loud. Two car overtakes are a breeze. Three car overtakes are also a breeze but the speedo will make you gulp as you pull back in. It does this in a way that always feels totally effortless, as if despite your foot being buried in the carpet there is more potential there than you've been granted access to. An almost endless power potential feeling as you rush toward the horizon. I've owned some quick cars and I've driven plenty of pretty fast things over the years and yes some of those are significantly faster than this car but the Taycan is in a class all by itself for the way it goes about the speed - and this is the slowest version.

Yes, it is electric - so there is no ICE-generated drama and noise. I've driven a Tesla S (though not the new Performance Ludicrous+ model) and a few other EVs before and was always somehow slightly disappointed at how the overall experience left me a little bit cold but this isn't like that. Punching it off a roundabout the car feels absolutely alive and involved. Any request for a change of direction, accelerating or not is met with a steering precision and feel you'd expect from a car with 1000Kg less weight and absolutely not at all like a Tesla. It feels like an event to drive this thing, make no mistake. It doesn't have a symphony of petrol and metal whizzing away nearby. True enough. But this car somehow makes ICE cars feel antiquated, like technology has moved on and left them behind. The optional Porsche Electric Sport Sound attempts to add some excitement back in with a strange sci-fi hum/whine as you drive around. I liked it in a way but I turned it off and didn't miss it. Probably one to turn on if you're out for a drive on some twisty B roads but for everyday driving I think it would be an annoyance.

In summary then, I really enjoyed driving this car. It feels like a proper car built by people who know how to build proper cars that happens to be electric rather than a weird eco-hippie thing or a badly built technology experiment.

I am genuinely considering ordering one in the near future, although I need to have some serious thinking time on the options list as the price gets pretty bonkers extremely quickly if you're not judicious... I have no doubt that the electric future is here and it is going to be absolutely fantastic.

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Extremely jealous mate, the Taycan looks absolutely stunning in the "flesh", although i wouldn't have the gall to ask Porsche to let me drive one, given that my car budget is rather lower than the price-point of these ( :p)

Porsche as a brand has blown me away coming from BMW and Mercedes, another level entirely and i am totally won over and will almost certainly move to one when i next get around to changing cars. It is a wonderful thing that the Porsche implementation of this car has been such a success.

Associate
Great write up and looks like an amazing car. I’ve seen they’re being a bit stingy with the options list - stuff which should be standard costs extra - but I guess when spending this kind of money it doesn’t really matter!

I’m really happy that Porsche have done this and rivalry with Tesla can only be good for everyone.

Soldato
I mentioned in the other EV thread, about speaking to a guy I met at a charger with a shiny new Taycan, he was utterly blown away by how good it was and ordered one after a quick test drive, he loves it more than his previous Porsche and he himself couldn't believe how much he now enjoys driving again, as you get all the fun with not of the issues.

I am glad you enjoyed it, and it is great to see the effect that the EV giants like Tesla are having on companies like Porsche, who bloody well should know how to make a car better than anyone.

Caporegime
Great write up and looks like an amazing car. I’ve seen they’re being a bit stingy with the options list - stuff which should be standard costs extra - but I guess when spending this kind of money it doesn’t really matter!

I’m really happy that Porsche have done this and rivalry with Tesla can only be good for everyone.

Porsche are always like that. My steering wheel is an optional extra for example!

OcUK Staff
Quite funny as after my F8 test drive yesterday also went across to Porsche and was looking at these and very nice they are.

Soldato
Porsche are always like that. My steering wheel is an optional extra for example!
I had a laugh looking at some of the extras, but the flip side is if ever car had every option they'd cost 50% more and not sell as many. I do find it funny that some things are standard on lower marques but cost extra on premium cars (I'm thinking stuff like sat nav and folding mirrors).

Caporegime
I mentioned in the other EV thread, about speaking to a guy I met at a charger with a shiny new Taycan, he was utterly blown away by how good it was and ordered one after a quick test drive, he loves it more than his previous Porsche and he himself couldn't believe how much he now enjoys driving again, as you get all the fun with not of the issues.

I am glad you enjoyed it, and it is great to see the effect that the EV giants like Tesla are having on companies like Porsche, who bloody well should know how to make a car better than anyone.
Will you enlighten us on what the previous Porsche was in this thread?

Taycan is epic, proper car.

Soldato
The Taycan S sits lower in the Porsche product line up trim/power level and hence doesn’t have the badge. Porsche buyers would recognise this.

My 486DX2 66Mhz PC also never had a turbocharger for its 75Mhz turbo mode.

Taycan really has nailed it from that Mission E concept.

OcUK Staff
How was the test drive as that looks like an amazing car as is the Taycan.

The F8 was not for me it is hard to explain but these new modern cars struggle to excite me.

The performance was bonkers in 4th gear they acceleration was mind blowing and Ferrari gave truly nailed zero turbo lag as the cars throttle response was instant even from low RPM. Performance is staggering being 720BHP and 1330kg.

Grip absolutely insane!

But the car did not feel an event to drive or get me maybe funny noises just too planted and though it sounded not so bad on the inside especially with plenty of turbo whooshing noises it sounded pretty pathetic on outside or with window down.

I want a car to feel alive but planted at legal speeds and the F8 is just too planted for its own good.

Everything has moved on as DCT is a tad better than 458, damping quite a bit better and grip vastly higher and brakes superior and of course it’s way faster and you get enormous feelings of push / thrust from rear but my 458 feels like something that’s alive and full of excitement whereas the F8 is now easy to live with as a daily for anyone whereas for me the 458 is fine as a daily but I acknowledge that for many it’s not a daily.

F8 crazy fast, looks amazing and insanely capable but as a car that gives you that fizz it did nothing for me I have more fun driving my S2000 that is a snail in comparison and my 458 is to me a far more enjoyable yet slower car.

Cant really sum it up as it’s amazing but it’s just not for me at all.

I did nearly swap my 458 for another however but having slept on it don’t think I can part with mine, think only an 812 could tempt me out the 458 or a GT3 991.2

OcUK Staff
Fantastic to have such a detailed review of a petrol Ferrari in a thread about an EV Porsche. Top stuff.

Because someone requested my feedback in this EV thread about the petrol Ferrari in this thread.

Stop being such a grumpy miserable person. :)

Associate
812 superfast is the one to go for :D

Although it wasn't so Superfast in the Car Wow test against a Porsche 911 Turbo S.

Thanks for the feedback Gibbo some modern cars are becoming too accomplished and so becoming almost sterile and clinical. No soul! I still miss my old Mk2 Golf GTi 16v and TVR Griffith for that.

Back
Top Bottom