Portable hard drive for research project

Associate
I’m due to start a medical project soon that will generate a relatively large volume of data for storage (~6-700gb) worth. The data will need to be encrypted (nothing crazy as it is pseudo-anonymous data that only a handful of people can interpret anyway). The data files are roughly 1gb each and will transfer over via USB from the device. The files will need to be stored for 10 years and will also need to be connected to workstations to be able to view the files.

I would need the main drive plus a backup drive.

I originally thought SSD for the transfer speeds with mechanical for the backup. However, the copying to hard drive doesn’t worry me as I can leave it to complete, but the read speed does concern me as I would want to be able to open a file relatively quickly to view them. Anyone have thoughts? The other option is to approach the university to use cloud/network storage, but this would mean trying to get the device to sync over the network and from experience would cause a lot of in-house IT delays.

Any devices that are reliable and good value? Is 10 years unplugged to long for an SSD?m
*edit - I will be paying for the devices. I’m hopeful to be able to reclaim this later, but best to assume I will not.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
How often is the data going to be used in those 10 years? If you're just going to leave the drive sitting in a cupboard I think your chances of accurate retrieval are going to be slim to none.

The other option is to approach the university to use cloud/network storage, but this would mean trying to get the device to sync over the network and from experience would cause a lot of in-house IT delays.

Just have the data primarily stored on the university network and transfer it to local devices on an as-needed basis. Leave the legal and technical stuff to the professionals.

Back
Top Bottom