Portait shot. 85mm @ f/1.2

Associate
I just love the DOF on this lens, Its so darn narrow.. :)

BTW: I took this shot as a sample for anyone wanting to see 85mm full frame @ 1.2

Comments as always welcome good or bad.. :p

James-P.jpg

Soldato
It's nice, but i think its cropped too tightly. The DOF is obviously cool, but simply doesnt suit the/a portrait -- his face should be totally in focus imo. :)

Associate
OP
Scam said:
It's nice, but i think its cropped too tightly. The DOF is obviously cool, but simply doesnt suit the/a portrait -- his face should be totally in focus imo. :)

Its not cropped at all Scam, This is just a test shot @ f/1.2 to show how tight the DOF really is, The ideal shot is around f.2 with this lens with a little more distance between camera and subject..

Example here from an earier shot.. :)

hannah.jpg

Permabanned
Ohh I didn't know anyone here had that lens. I'm so jelous, but I don't think I'll ever be able to justify spending that much on a prime.

The picture looks nice to me. I tend to agree to an extent with Scam that it is perhaps too narrow (it's out before it gets to his ears!) but I do the same with my 50mm f/1.4, it hardly ever leaves f/1.4!!

Soldato
Blimey, that must have set you back a few beer tokens !!

I am trying to decide about getting the 85mm 1.8 for the 30D and have seen a few reviews of the 1.2 - usually from millionaires ;)

Associate
busterboy said:
Comments as always welcome good or bad.. :p

absolute garbage

so bad I think you should send me the lens immediately :)

I love that lens so much. Its amazing on FF. Often tempted to trade my 70-200 for one but that would leave me short on the long end. Its easily the nices lens I've used.

Associate
Shimmyhill said:
Blimey, that must have set you back a few beer tokens !!

I am trying to decide about getting the 85mm 1.8 for the 30D and have seen a few reviews of the 1.2 - usually from millionaires ;)

I had the 85 1.8....very nice lens indeed. razor sharp and feels great. Warning though if you use the 1.2 you'll always feel short changed using the 1.8 :)

Soldato
Not too keen on the first shot. DOF is way too small.

2nd shot however is awesome. Absolutely breath-taking :eek:
Up close, like in the 1st shot I guess you need something above F2 to get a reasonable portrait DOF.

What was the F# on the 2nd shot?

Soldato
Any chance of a shot of it on the 1dmkII, it just looks HUGE on the 350d, but I have no clue as to the size of the lens against a normal sized camera.

As for the shot, as others have said, it could have done with having more in focus, but it highlights the narrow dof and superb sharpness nicely.

Soldato
morgan said:
I had the 85 1.8....very nice lens indeed. razor sharp and feels great. Warning though if you use the 1.2 you'll always feel short changed using the 1.8 :)

Sorry for the slight derail.

When did you find it got sharp ? Its mainly for pics of the baby, the 50mm is a little short as she tends to head for me if she spots the camera ! 70mm on my 24-70 is better and im thinking 85mm could be perfect !

Associate
Shimmyhill said:
Sorry for the slight derail.

When did you find it got sharp ? Its mainly for pics of the baby, the 50mm is a little short as she tends to head for me if she spots the camera ! 70mm on my 24-70 is better and im thinking 85mm could be perfect !

it was sharp right from 1.8. its a stunning lens for the cash. I'm really suprised it isnt more popular than it is tbh.

As with all lenses on FF you have to be careful with the dof as its far more shallow on full frame.

The 1.2 is such as great looking piece of kit. love the two recesses where the lens hits the body and it is so nice and heavy.

I'd love to do a wedding with one just to see how handy it is. On Full frame 85mm is a good length. I found it a bit long on my 20d.

Back
Top Bottom