1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

possible mod a cold cathode tube to be mains powered ?

Discussion in 'Case Central' started by Snow-Munki, 25 Feb 2006.

1. Snow-Munki

Capodecina

Hi,

have a couple of cold cathode tubes and was wondering if i can 'mod' it so i can plug it directly to mains plugs without using a PC ?

Got a few plans ;)

Thanks

2. JonnyD

Wise Guy

Use a 12volt mains adaptor. Wire the +ve terminal of the molex to the centre of the mains adaptor plug, and wire the -ve conector to the outer of the plug...tape it up and plug it in.

3. Raikiri

Capodecina

Followed shortly by cathode shards and screaming :)

Actually that should work :D

4. fatiain

Sgarrista

Use an old ATX power supply?

5. Snow-Munki

Capodecina

sorry to sounds stupid but 12 volt adapter? umm any pictures what sort of thing i might need to buy or something ???

or any diy instructions / sites ?

6. sagaboy2

Wise Guy

He means those chunky black transformers you get with low power electrical goods if im not mistaken.

7. Yewen

Capodecina

I think that is what he was hinting at.

Just one thing if your going to buy one, try and get one with a normal plug type connector, on + on - rather than the circular inside and outside arrangement, would make it easier to mod :)

8. sagaboy2

Wise Guy

Now I think about it. The voltage should be right at 12V but what about the Amps.

I thought cathodes need huge Ampage to work and its if the transformer will give you the high amps or not.

But I could be wrong. If it doesnt cost alot to buy one you could always just try and see if it works or not.

9. Snow-Munki

Capodecina

so i wire the yellow +ve lead to the plug directly ? ( as in opening it up and wiring to live ? )

and then ground / black to the earth inside the plug ?

10. Mark A

Capodecina

You can get them from ebay for £4 for an un regulated one or £7 for regulated, they come with a socket with a few different attachments for different appliances. I got one as I'm going to mod a cathode into my desk so i can see the keyboard at night.

Mark

11. Mark A

Capodecina

i wouldnt open the plug up, if anything cut the wires and twist together then tape or use heat shrink. If your all talking about the power supplys im thinking of then theres no need to earth and there are only 2 wires coming from the plug.

Mark