1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible temporary (~1 day) FAH shutdown

Discussion in 'Team OcUK Distributed Computing Projects' started by rich99million, 23 Jul 2006.

1. rich99million

Sgarrista

Purely due to the heat wave over there at the moment :(
    When I read the title I thought they were going all Borkley on us :eek:

taken from the thread here
    (note the FCF forums are always very slow - nothing to do with stanford - they will load if you wait a little while :p)

sounds like the servers are water cooled rather than an elecrical air-con solution - though I'm expecting they'd be susceptible with either solution right now :o

2. BillytheImpaler

Man of Honour

More likely it's like the University where I work. The heating plant turns into a cooling plant in the summer. They take water and chill it and then pump it through radiators on campus. The radiators have fans in them and this chills the air in the room.

3. rich99million

Sgarrista

ahh very nifty - i could do with one of those :p

wonder if the neighbours would mind me building a 30-foot cooling tower in my yard :D

4. Stan_Lite

Man of Honour

Don't bother asking.
    If anyone comments, tell them it's in aid of medical research and that you were told to build it by the BMA and all inquiries should be directed towards them :D

Stan :)

5. oceaness

Wise Guy

Tell them it's a temporary strcuture :p

6. BillytheImpaler

Man of Honour

Mine's a bit larger than 30 feet. ;)
    [​IMG]

Lining that white cylinder is 7 feet of Styrofoam. Inside this "coffee cup", as they call it, is the chilled water that runs through the system. It's all rather neat.

EDIT: I substituted in a better photograph. :)

Last edited: 23 Jul 2006
  7. Berserker

Man of Honour

Could have done with that at home. :cool: (literally)

Got back from a week away to find one dead machine (dunno if it'll return, but looks likely so far), smell of overheating electronics and 36C room temps. I remotely shut down DC apps (CPDN and folding) on two other machines to avoid them ending up in the same dead state.

While I can now keep things a little cooler, I'm not going to resume full-on crunching until the heatwave ends.