Possible to ban one user from my LAN?

Associate
My computer is a server on a network of 8 users and i'd like to make it so one user cannot use any of my shared resources (mainly internet connection).

He has a dynamic IP but i could change that if it would be any help...

Also, despite all computers being on the same workgroup i cannot get windows to display a list of the users on the network without typing in their individual computer names. only 1 or 2 will show.

Cheers for any help, let me know if more info is needed.

Soldato
Are you the admin or are you working for someone? And by "ban" I take it you mean restrict access, which you can in I think, don't quote me on this, is in thw Adminstrators Tools in Control Panel.

Associate
Yeah you can i think but you have to be the admin and yes its in the administrator tools pannel, but i think you have to ban the ip so it would have to be static, again dont quote me because i have never done it but im pretty sure you can stop a certain IP address accessing certain areas.

Associate
OP
i'm the admin yeah, well my computer is the 192.168.0.1, although they dont have a user account on my system if you know what i mean? they pretty much just connect through mine to access the internet.

Any ideas where it would be in admin tools?

Permabanned
2x1600 said:
i'm the admin yeah, well my computer is the 192.168.0.1, although they dont have a user account on my system if you know what i mean? they pretty much just connect through mine to access the internet.

Any ideas where it would be in admin tools?
yes use filter and ban the mac address :) or change your wep

Permabanned
This sounds like someone's had a falling out @ uni and is being petty by banning their housemate until they have a a big fight, kiss and make up and go and get ****** down the union bar..... :p

No swearing, read the FAQ.

Otacon

removed. if you have a problem with the moderating in future, please take it off the forums, email a don or an admin, don't openly criticise the moderating on the boards. The rules are quite clear about swearing too. The first word you used was edited as it is not allowed as per the rules here, but that's not a reason to then post a whole load of non fully starred swear words that you can find! if you see swear words posted then RTM them, we can't spend all our time searching high and low for them, assistance from other members is helpful :) Baddass

Last edited:
Soldato
Phnom_Penh said:
You don't need to have a domain to share the net using a server os.

You don't even need a server OS ;)

I'm guessing he's using ICS to share the internet connection. Although if he would be more clear it will save us having to guess.

Associate
Do you want to ban him without him knowing? you could just unplug him, or uninstall his net adapter and hide the drivers :) If his user account on his PC doesn't have full admin rights as it shouldn't if you have elected a net admin then just pull his gateway or whole IP address out of his setup and then he can't change it back. What OS is this were talking about anyway? i don't know a student that has access to 2003/2000/SBS (legally anyway)

Soldato
If its the guy hes trying to ban's own computer, modifying data on it is illegal without give consent.

And theres nothing stopping, or illegal about a student using a trial copy of Server 2003 etc. (I use it :)).

Associate
Phnom_Penh said:
And theres nothing stopping, or illegal about a student using a trial copy of Server 2003 etc. (I use it :)).

as a student i have legal copies of server 2003 web, standard and enterprise edition. and xp and xp embedded (although can't quite think of a use for that one). and many other ms apps i don't really need :D shouldn't be too hard for you to get these too, just ask your uni (assuming of course you're doing computing or some such)

Rob

</off topic>

Associate
OP
Slime101 said:
This sounds like someone's had a falling out @ uni and is being petty by banning their housemate until they have a a big fight, kiss and make up and go and get ****** down the union bar..... :p

No swearing, read the FAQ.

Otacon

It's not petty if he has not payed his share and i'm left to fill the extra.

Cheers for the help guys, sorry its taken me so long to get back :)

Back
Top Bottom