Post your 3rd/4th year projects

Permabanned
I'm surprised we dont hear of more projects developing p2p software - the protocols are all open source, and there are certainly gaps in the market.

Shareaza aside, there are no really decent multi protocol p2p apps (unless i've missed some...)

Associate
Lagz said:
It may be a fun project but there isn't really much computer science content. I dont think they would let anyone do something like that at my uni.

well ive put plenty of computer science content into it

a instant messenger can range from a 2 hour job to a MSN style project which involves a lot of CS content, so be a bit more postive please :D

Associate
Pr0t0c0L said:
well ive put plenty of computer science content into it

a instant messenger can range from a 2 hour job to a MSN style project which involves a lot of CS content, so be a bit more postive please :D

Sorry I'm sure its very good :) , I just cant see personally how you could insert any good CS content. What kind of difficult algorithms/datastructures could you add to an instant messenger, compared to doing something a project like face recognition etc?

Associate
man u guys are scaringt he carp outta me, i got roughly 3 weeks left to get everything done, my first draft,

i`ve been building a online time management system for small business, using php, mysql, etc and linking to a google map. been the stress in my life for the last 2 weeks!

getting there tho, once the prortype is complete, i`ll stick a loign online for u guys to take a look. it`s being a bit buggy at the minute.

NEed to start the writeup soon tho, i`ve done about 6000 so far. need more though, think about 15k +

Associate
most if not all of our final year project is marked on the reports, how you've dealt with problems etc, so there seems very little point in creating something very technical. I'm creating a helpdesk solution for the place i worked at on placement as its something they want. I can get critique from them throughout and they suggest changes so its actually like a real life project with problems and changes to report which is what there looking for.

I guess its different for all universities though. If mine actually looked at and graded the final product then maybe i would have looked at something more technical.

Currently I've written about 6500-7000words and then appendixes and thats just the spec, analysis, design and lit review. Still a few more sections to write up but it shouldn't be too bad, seem to have quite a relaxed schedule next semester :D

Associate
Altered Corpse said:
I've created a classified car website website and distributed service to allow dealers to use their dealer management systems (DMS) to automatically place adverts on my classified car website without the need of manual intervention. It's not exactly the most interesting project but it should get me a reasonable grade.

The actual write up is fine. Done about 11K words (max 12k), 14K words inc appendicies. My supervisor seems pretty impressed as well.

The website can be viewed at http://adcock82.plus.com:81/project/carWebSite/index.aspx (you can login using username: test, password: test) It works best in Mozilla browsers or Opera. There is a bit of a problem with IE that i'm going to need to solve.
The distributed web service can be viewed at http://adcock82.plus.com:81/project/carWebSite/carWebServices.asmx
I also created an example application that shows how the web service features can be used (just as it could be by a DMS). Haven't uploaded that yet but i've put a some pics below:

Main screen:
project-screen1.jpg

Viewing a car:
project-screen2.jpg

Placing an advert:
project-screen3.jpg

Can't get on your site to have a look, but was interested to know what DMS it integrates into? Kerridge? GDMS? Darts? etc.....

Associate
gavsim said:
Can't get on your site to have a look, but was interested to know what DMS it integrates into? Kerridge? GDMS? Darts? etc.....

Server was down today. The problem is any DMS that uses the web service is going to require modification but if the site was as popular as Autotrader i can imagine many DMS makers would be happy to implement the feature - it shouldn't require any major changes. The other problem is of course that web services aren't ideal either - it would probably be best to run it along side a CORBA service. All of this has obviously been written up as some of the drawbacks but in the end what i've created is just a prototype to show how the use of distributed services could be beneficial in this type of system. It's not supposed to be a perfect system and as long as i report this my marks aren't affected.

Associate
Altered Corpse said:
Server was down today. The problem is any DMS that uses the web service is going to require modification but if the site was as popular as Autotrader i can imagine many DMS makers would be happy to implement the feature - it shouldn't require any major changes. The other problem is of course that web services aren't ideal either - it would probably be best to run it along side a CORBA service. All of this has obviously been written up as some of the drawbacks but in the end what i've created is just a prototype to show how the use of distributed services could be beneficial in this type of system. It's not supposed to be a perfect system and as long as i report this my marks aren't affected.

All sounds good, and I understand the DMS would need some modification, project looks good and I hope you get good marks.

I work in I.T at a local Ford Dealership and created our website (http://www.holiways.co.uk) - I wrote a stock managment system for it but doesn't interface with our DMS - therefore data is input twice, when the next revision is due (very soon as it is out of date) I am going to look to interface it more closer - maybe by parsing a CSV from the DMS.

Last edited:
Associate
gavsim said:
All sounds good, and I understand the DMS would need some modification, project looks good and I hope you get good marks.

I work in I.T at a local Ford Dealership and created our website (http://www.holiways.co.uk) - I wrote a stock managment system for it but doesn't interface with our DMS - therefore data is input twice, when the next revision is due (very soon as it is out of date) I am going to look to interface it more closer - maybe by parsing a CSV from the DMS.

Thanks. :) Your site looks very nice.

Back
Top Bottom