Potentially dead/faulty motherboard and/or cpu?

Associate
Ok, I’m getting near my wits end.

For those of you who may have seen my post in the Power Supplies section, you’ll know about my current hardware issues.

Replacement ssd arrived today, but windows still failed to install, crashed as soon as i selected ‘install now’, so, i tried loading up unbuntu on a usb stick, at first, installing straight to the ssd failed, showed up a package error just as it was about finished, but i was able to get into linux using the Try Unbuntu, i tried to install it to the ssd then from the desktop, and it restarted on me again.

A few times linux crashed and threw some errors at me, unfortunately I was not able to get a photo of the error log, as there was more in the list that what i could see without scrolling, and before i could get a photo, it restarted on me. All i remember seeing is the JournalErrors section of the log having most of the error code, the cpu and microcode was mentioned a few times i think.

I was running Linux from the usb pen drive, as it would not let me install to the brand new SSD that arrived today. (Sent the other one back to amazon), and the system STILL restarted, so it’s either the board or the cpu, neither option i like right now.

I was only able to get one screenshot of the initial error while trying to install linux to the ssd:

The last thing i can think of to try is resetting CMOS (will that also reset the Bios to factory version?), but I’ve been told on discord that won’t work. I CAN NOT roll back the bios, my board does not support that feature, and this all started two weeks ago after updating the bios to latest version. Failing that, I’ll have to RMA the board and hope OC offer me a refund quickly, so i can order another board (I’ll probably go for the Impact 8, since it has more debugging features, including bios flashback, q-code leds and onboard reset/start buttons).

So, i need to know, will resetting the CMOS cure this? Or should i just RMA the motherboard?

Associate
OP
I don’t even know where the battery is on my board, manual doesn’t show it.

and I can confirm trying an older bios does NOT work, system says it’s not a valid bios.

also, the POST state leds are showing a problem with the boot device, but it’s a brand new ssd, I don’t have any loose mech drives to test it with, but I know it’s not that since it’s even crashed while running Linux from a usb, so it’s either the board or cpu

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Spoke to someone i used to shoot archery with, he used to run his own pc repair shop until lockdown forced him to sell it. He definitely thinks its the power supply, and advised that i replace it and then try to reinstall windows, so I’ve ordered one, should be here on monday.

Back
Top Bottom