Power Issue?

Soldato
Hi Guys, (long time)

I have a little problem that i want some idea's about.

I have recently moved to a new house (in the UK), not used my desktop for about a year due to location (NZ/AUS)

Anyway I have been using it for about a week perfectly, no problems, smooth as ever. Until Yesterday Morning, I go to turn it on...

So I turn the Socket on (for the extension lead, which has my PC and monitor connected) and the PC starts up on its on (weird). Try the visuals, Nothing. Try turning it off with the power button, Nothing.

My only idea was to reset the CMOS battery. I have tried that twice to no improvement. Any other ideas?

My PSU is pretty old (6-7 years) its a Thermaltake Evo Blue 750w. At this stage i have no replacement parts to try, so anything i can do beside that (for now) is appreciated.

(Rest of spec)
NH D14
GTX 460
SSD
HDD
8GB RAM XMS3
[all stock currently]

Thank in Advance Gents/Ladies.

Soldato
Have you tried the PC directly plugged int the wall socket to rule out a dodgy extension lead?

Other than that you could try:
  • Checking all connections - ideally unplugging and reseating.
  • Check the kettle lead at the back of the PC.
  • Try onboard GFX if your board allows it (reset CMOS after plugging in monitor cable into MB if this is an option)
  • Check that the motherboard is fitted securely and not moving around on the risers
  • Unplug all drives, peripherals etc
  • Try a skeleton setup - 1 stick of memory (try alternate slots/sticks), cpu, onboard or GPU, and nothing else
Report back - best of luck.

Soldato
not used my desktop for about a year due to location (NZ/AUS)
Not even really long distance remote desktop?
Sorry, couldn't resist... :p

You can't reset dead/empty battery, only change it to new.

But that cheap Chinese capacitors inside PSU designed to fail is very strong contender.
That CWT design is even completely devoid for any cooling airflow for secondary caps.
https://www.hardwareheaven.com/2009/09/thermaltake-evo-blue-750w-psu/3/
Though might be also 5 V standby throwing tantrum, considering they didn't even pretend quality by using good capacitor in it.

Definitely wouldn't try further with that PSU unless first measuring its output with scope.
What kind budget you have?

But that's no old PSU.
My current one is 7½ year old (must have power on hours for at least four years) and my previous now 11 year age celebrating one is in neighbour.
Though don't expect that from low quality PSU.

Back
Top Bottom