• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Power Limit problems with my Gainward RTX 3080

Hello guys,

I'm experiencing some problems with my Gainward Phoenix RTX 3080(i've heard that Gainward is the same company that Pallit. Is that true ?).

First of all, the VGA is a BEAST and i'm trully happy with the magnificent performance over the games (COD WARZONE, CS GO etc.)

But im thinking that i'm not using all potencial of the card. With the stock clock no tweaks, im getting POWER LIMIT AT 320 W, after i get power limit, the clocks reduces, and gets around 1800-1830 mhz, even that the msi afterburn curve goes to 1995 mhz.

I'll explaine to you:

This is my stock config:

STOCK-MSI.png

As you see in the picture above the turbo boost should go to 1995 mhz with 1125mv. But this doe's not happen. I got Power Limit way before.

So, when im benchmarking my clocks stay bellow 1800 Mhz like this picture bellow: And it should be above 1900 Mhz.

CPU-Z-STOCK.png

So, im not using the full potencial of the VGA because im allways running at 1800-1820 mhz limited by my 320 W TDP.

Im 3dmark Time Spy Graphics i got 17600 (STOCK) and i managed to undervolt and get 17900 with 868mv@1830(With this config i dont have problems with the power limit. This is the max voltage and core that i get stressing the VGA before get power limit problems.

In games i managed to undervolt 925@1920 mhz, so i can play without power limit all my games and get this constante 1920 clock. This is my config for day use.

That is all. Is this real problem ? A new BIOS should correct this ? My 3dmark time spy score seens fine compare to other cards. I already update my bios with the latest one(30/09/2020).

Thanks in advance and im really sorry about my poor english.

GPUs will boost until they hit a certain temp then gradually lower the clocks until it's no longer "overheating", as @mingey said.

but even when my temperature goes around 65 degrees i got lower clocks. I dont think this is it.

for example, in timespy my average temperature is 65. And my clock is around 1800 on stock. It doesnt make sense.

in cod warzone for instance i got 1930-1950 clock boost stock even with temperature around 70. Estable

besides, GPU Z shows that i reach power limit. And everytime i reach PL the clock goes down.

any ideias?

Last edited:
Soldato
Different games apply different loads on the gpu, so in some games you will get higher clocks. I would be tempted to manually set the fans at 75% or more and do a retest to see what happens

Associate
GPU boost will subtract boost at certain temperature intervals. Power limit won't drop clocks, it'll just stop it from boosting further.

power limit does in fact lower boost clock.
when reaching power limit the boost starts to fluctuate but when given enough power it will stabilise given temperature isn't an issue.
furmark is very good at showing this.
at least that is how it works on maxwell, pascal and turing as I didn't have a chance to try Ampere yet..

power limit does in fact lower boost clock.
when reaching power limit the boost starts to fluctuate but when given enough power it will stabilise given temperature isn't an issue.
furmark is very good at showing this.
at least that is how it works on maxwell, pascal and turing as I didn't have a chance to try Ampere yet..

So i got powerlimit on timespy and msi kombustor (runs only at 1800-1830) isnt a issue ? With undervolt .887@1875 i can get a fixed 1875 clock. no drops. I think by default i shouldnt have problems with power limit.

For gaming now im using .950@1930 Mhz. Its fully stable in all my games, but in timespy, and msi kombustor, i got lower clocks all the time hitting power limit 320w.

Associate
So i got powerlimit on timespy and msi kombustor (runs only at 1800-1830) isnt a issue ? With undervolt .887@1875 i can get a fixed 1875 clock. no drops. I think by default i shouldnt have problems with power limit.
all 3080 cards are power limited so I don't think yours has an issue
some will be boosting higher than others at the same power draw but that is down to silicon quality if temperature is right.

all 3080 cards are power limited so I don't think yours has an issue
some will be boosting higher than others at the same power draw but that is down to silicon quality if temperature is right.

But its normal a STOCK clock i cant get on timespy clocks like 1900-1950? I only got 1800-1830. Only gaming i cant reach 1900-1950 Mhz.

I got 17800 Graphics scores on timespy STOCK. And 18100 Undervolted .890@1875.

It seens fine ?

Associate
But its normal a STOCK clock i cant get on timespy clocks like 1900-1950? I only got 1800-1830. Only gaming i cant reach 1900-1950 Mhz.

I got 17800 Graphics scores on timespy STOCK. And 18100 Undervolted .890@1875.

It seens fine ?

is it fine is up to you but that is expected behaviour.
the heavier the workload the lower it will boost
like I said if your card drops boost clock more than others at the same power draw and temperatures it is down to silicon quality.

Associate
I would say, step away from the numbers... and enjoy what the card offers :)
The reality of it is, a few mhz here and there provides very little real world difference.

Hello guys,

I saw on GPU Z that the stock power limit is 320 but i push the power limit to 109%(MSI AFterburn). On GPU Z, i can see that the default PL is 320 and the PL maximum is 350.

But it appears that my clock reduces when the vga reachs 320w and not 350w like i see on gpu z.

It can be a bug? Im thinking that i can push the vga to at least 350w.

RZzbZfR.png

Hello guys,

I saw on GPU Z that the stock power limit is 320 but i push the power limit to 109%(MSI AFterburn). On GPU Z, i can see that the default PL is 320 and the PL maximum is 350.

But it appears that my clock reduces when the vga reachs 320w and not 350w like i see on gpu z.

It can be a bug? Im thinking that i can push the vga to at least 350w.

RZzbZfR.png
Any ideas?

Associate
GPU Z will tell you the exact reason it won't boost further under 'perfcap'. I still think you're just seeing boost subtractions due to temperature. They happen at more than one interval and subtract from the boost/voltage curve so its hard to even tell where you are on the curve. Honestly not sure what you're fretting over.

GPU Z will tell you the exact reason it won't boost further under 'perfcap'. I still think you're just seeing boost subtractions due to temperature. They happen at more than one interval and subtract from the boost/voltage curve so its hard to even tell where you are on the curve. Honestly not sure what you're fretting over.
I have the same picture with 66 degrees and perfcap says “pwr”. My card only boosts to 320 besides gpu z says its 350w. (320 + 9%)

Back
Top Bottom