• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

power of a dual core?

Soldato
Well ive just been messing about a bit and looking into HardOCPs tweek Dual core guide

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=983781&page=1&pp=20

Pretty much seeing some improved gains and BF2 is a lot more smoother/less jerky so thats good, Ive also used the patches/fixes and also winlauncher XP and ive assigned some programs that I use daily like IE/MSN/ICQ and foobar/media players to Core 2, seems to have made everything snappy so all good.

Guess Dual core just needs some tweeking/assigning and all good!

Soldato
Don't assign Windows programs to seperate cores. There's no need and it'll hurt overall performance. The only time you should be manually assigning cores is if a game (or perhaps a media player) is having problems.

Soldato
a word to the wise, if your going for an intel based dual core system DO NOT get the pentium D 820 ( thats the 2.8Ghz model) theres huge compatibility issues, and ive yet to see a decent mainboard to support it.
for the extra cash the 830 ( 3.0 Ghz ) is the better option.... just for compatibility.

do you do ay video editing, or design work ? you will notice the differnce here !!

Soldato
NathanE said:
Don't assign Windows programs to seperate cores. There's no need and it'll hurt overall performance. The only time you should be manually assigning cores is if a game (or perhaps a media player) is having problems.

Hmm its possible it is, cant tell seemed like performance went up when I assigned a few programs to the second core but ill take em off and retry. Its definatly helped in BF2 I dont get that weird stutter effect and it appears smoother...

Associate
OP
HighlandeR said:
I had that initial idea at 1st but dual cores good, but I have an X2-4400 and if I burn a 4.3gig DVD off and try and surf I notice the strain and performance drop.

Opening up multiple IE windows and programs seems ok, but if burning or using cd/dvdrom will make it feel like a single core !

Dual cores good but I wouldnt say ive noticed a hughe performance increase or benifit over a single core, but then im not encoding/pushing the system to its limits.

I think just like all things dual cores limited to cd/hdd activity....

that answered my question :D

Soldato
Well my 1.8A GHz P4 can burn a DVD without impacting performance at all. I could play a game and leave it burning. Done it before, no problems.

I'd guess something is wrong with your system, HighlandeR :(

Back
Top Bottom