• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Power Problems !!

Associate
Hello,

I have been having this problem for a few weeks now. If my computer shuts down sometimes it can be a real hassle to get back on. When i press the power button the light flash and fans spin for like a second and it shuts down again. this happens over and over. I tried taking out the ram,fans,hdd....ect Then i got to the gpu and when i unplug my 8pin PCIE connections to the gpu it runs. I take them out a few time and plug them back in and it seems to start working again. I don't want to go out and buy a new gpu to find it the power supply or the other way around. so could you please help me out.

Thanks

Associate
Full spec of PC will help.

I would for the moment fully remove the GPU (as long as your CPU has a iGPU) so as to narrow down any hardware issues.

Also it is prob not the best idea to remove the PCI-E power connectors then running the PC with the card still fitted.

Associate
OP
Full spec of PC will help.

I would for the moment fully remove the GPU (as long as your CPU has a iGPU) so as to narrow down any hardware issues.

Also it is prob not the best idea to remove the PCI-E power connectors then running the PC with the card still fitted.

I turn the pc off before removing the pcie connectors.

Associate
OP
Full spec and the wattage of PSU, that should help :)

Intel i5 4670k (h100 cooler)

16gb Ram

Sapphire Toxic 280x r9 (box suggests 750w

PSU Antec gaming 620 m

Samsung ssd 250gb

WD Hdd 1tb

6 fans

led stripes + led controller

Was told the antec 620 m gaming would be more than enough and tbh it has been for the last year or so.

Associate
I'd suggest removing all but one stick of RAM, then move it about the slots and see if it powers with any of them.

Failing that, try each stick on its own in each of the slots.

Associate
OP
Yeah I will try taking the gpu out but the problem is that it doesn't happen all the time and this is my gaming pc so without the gpu I wont be able to play any games. Doesn't even happen when I'm at full load only when the pc has been turned off. also I tried taking ram out and leaving one stick in first. nothing worked until I took the gpu connections out.

Soldato
Bit of a long shot but do you have any sort of PWM fan setup being controlled via the bios?

I had an issue over winter where I would turn the PC on whilst the house was very cold and my computer wouldn't start due to a "fan failure" because the fan was trying to run under the minimum fan limit.

So it restarted itself until, I can only assume, it heated up enough to register the fan being over the minimum fan limit.

As I said long shot but you never know

Associate
OP
Tried plugging the card into the second PCI-e slot?

Or maybe different slots on the power supply for the connectors?

I could try connecting it to the secondary slot. would with work fine or would i loose power ? Also I tried changing connections on the psu never helped only thing that helped this time was to connect one cable to the gpu it powered up then I turned it off the connected the other and it work.

Also I really don't know about the fan PWM never heard of that I will have a look. I'm using the Msi gaming 7 board. The gpu box recommends 750w psu so not sure if my system is struggling with the 620 I have as its also OC to 4.0

Associate
If no other slots are populated it should allocate all 16 lanes to whatever slot is populated (since your motherboard has 3 x16 slots), if it doesn't, it should still be running at x8 which is more than enough for any modern GPU.

Associate
OP
Ok. I will try it in the lower slot to see if that helps.

Just one of those problems and happens ever now and then so takes time to figure out the cause.

Cheers

Caporegime
Hello,

I have been having this problem for a few weeks now. If my computer shuts down sometimes it can be a real hassle to get back on. When i press the power button the light flash and fans spin for like a second and it shuts down again. this happens over and over. I tried taking out the ram,fans,hdd....ect Then i got to the gpu and when i unplug my 8pin PCIE connections to the gpu it runs. I take them out a few time and plug them back in and it seems to start working again. I don't want to go out and buy a new gpu to find it the power supply or the other way around. so could you please help me out.

Thanks

Check the three 12v PCIe power pins in the 8 pin plug, if they are black you have a problem with the PSU.

I had an issue with my PC Black Screening, it got worse over time, eventually the PC just wouldn't start, GPU error lights and beeps.... its would work for a while if i unplugged the PCIe power cables and put them back.

To cut a long story short i though it was the GPU and replaced it, after a week or so it started doing it with the new GPU, after close inspection i noticed the three 12v pins on the new GPU had started to darken, so i looked at the old GPU and the same pins were black, i cleaned the pins on the old GPU and it worked again....

I have now had a new PSU for a week and all is fine. touch wood.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I does seem quite similar to what's going on with my pc. Push the button and it seems like it going to start for a split second and just powers down. I have not checked the pins will do tomorrow. Was thinking of upgrading my PSU anyway so not show if i should just do that and maybe that will fix it. Was thinking of getting EVGA G2 850w or the B2 850w.

Caporegime
I does seem quite similar to what's going on with my pc. Push the button and it seems like it going to start for a split second and just powers down. I have not checked the pins will do tomorrow. Was thinking of upgrading my PSU anyway so not show if i should just do that and maybe that will fix it. Was thinking of getting EVGA G2 850w or the B2 850w.

Why so much power?

The old PSU was an XFX 750 Watt. (4 years old before misbehaving)

The new one is an EVGA 650 GS, it comfortably runs an FX-9590 and the R9 290, tho now runs a GTX 970.

Back
Top Bottom