Power strip and correct fuse

Associate
Hi all guys,
Got a question about my power strip, hopefully I'm posting in the right section.

So I got a power strip where at the moment I have my monitor and the 5.1 system plugged in.
I have the PSU plugged into another plug straight into the wall but I would like to have it plugged into the power strip so to protect the PSU from any power surge.

The problem I got is that the fuse on the power strip pops quite often if I plug the PSU in as well,
would it be safe to put a 13 amp fuse instead of the 5amp one originally fitted with the power strip?

I'm guessing they used the 5amp fuse considering that all the outlets would have been used but I will only using 3, 4 occasionally.

My PSU is a 1000 w Corsair,monitor is using less than 43w ( Asus didn't put the precise value on the manual) then the 5.1 system is drawing 500w and occasionally I use a wheel drawing 480 w.

Thanks

Associate
In order for it to be safe, the power strip and its cable must be rated for 13 amps. If they aren't, then a fault could cause something to overheat and catch fire without blowing the fuse.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply,how do I find out?will it say it on the plug?
There is a sticker on the power strip but it only say that it has got an on-off switch and at the bottom of the sticker it says 3500w max

Thanks

Associate
UK plugs must be rated for 13A, so you don't need to check that (though it should have the rating marked on it somewhere), just change the fuse.

Soldato
UK plugs must be rated for 13A, so you don't need to check that (though it should have the rating marked on it somewhere), just change the fuse.
Plug doesn't matter, if wires are hair thin.
It's their cross section, which defines max current.
For 13A is should be at least around 1.5mm2.

Associate
Plug doesn't matter, if wires are hair thin.
It's their cross section, which defines max current.
For 13A is should be at least around 1.5mm2.
As per Terminal_Boy's calculation, the sticker suggests that everything is rated for 13A (unless the manufacturer for some reason placed a sticker that doesn't apply to the whole assembly, which is possible but unlikely). The plug is relevant because Alex088 asked.

Soldato
Hi all guys,
Got a question about my power strip, hopefully I'm posting in the right section.

So I got a power strip where at the moment I have my monitor and the 5.1 system plugged in.
I have the PSU plugged into another plug straight into the wall but I would like to have it plugged into the power strip so to protect the PSU from any power surge.

The problem I got is that the fuse on the power strip pops quite often if I plug the PSU in as well,
would it be safe to put a 13 amp fuse instead of the 5amp one originally fitted with the power strip?

I'm guessing they used the 5amp fuse considering that all the outlets would have been used but I will only using 3, 4 occasionally.

My PSU is a 1000 w Corsair,monitor is using less than 43w ( Asus didn't put the precise value on the manual) then the 5.1 system is drawing 500w and occasionally I use a wheel drawing 480 w.

Thanks

if the strip is rated for 13amp then use a 13amp fuse. if it isnt, bin it and buy one that is. remember though 5a is still 1250w which is a fair amount for you to be popping fuses - none of those components you listed would draw their maximum ratings all the time (if at all). So it seems..odd. also, what's that 480w wheel?

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, actually I fitted the 13amp fuse and the one that was fitted originally it wasn't a 5A but a 3A.
Cables looking 1.5 mm though.

The wheel drawing 480w is a fanatec DD2 base where a wheel is attached.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom