Associate
My PC freezes suddenly and I have to switch off the socket. On the next reboot, I've received the post message "ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit". I guess a power surge just happened in my house.

The problem is, my OS wouldn't load. It stuck at the Windows 10 logo. After few reboots, it finally booted into Windows but everything was very slow. I tried a few reboots again (getting stuck at the logo) and finally I got SMART check failed during post, but the PC booted normally.

Reallocated sector count on my SSD was showing 370 (raw value) and is slowly increasing by 1 or 2. SSD must be dying.

I would like to know if my PSU or other parts are still okay. Voltages are fine and everything is still working except system is slower than before and the reallocated sector count is increasing. Thanks.

Associate
OP
Hi, thanks for the reply, I'm posting this for my friend.

His psu is new it's a FSP Hexa+ 450W. It's a new system not more than a month old.

I'm more concerned about the socket as there were a lot of loads on the sockets in his room, about 6 electrical appliances excluding air-conditioner and lamps. He was using a socket splitter and I have told him to stop using that thing and get a power strip.

Associate
OP
The anti-surge message only appeared once. Would this be caused by switching off the socket as the PC is freezing? I've googled and saw it somewhere that hard powering off the PC would trigger this anti-surge thing.

Associate
OP
My PSU has no issues running CPU and GPU stress tests with stable voltages. My PC is a new system.

Fyi, the SSD has zero reallocated sector count when I the PC booted and ran very very slow. The reallocated sector count only spiked up to 370 after few reboots. It became 372 and now back to 370 again and the system is running fine.

I have another guess that it's the SSD that caused my PC to freeze, where a same case happened to me in 2012 before the SSD completely died. Therefore I would like to know if the anti-surge message can be caused by switching off the socket, because the PC was frozen and the only thing that I can do is to switch off the socket. The anti-surge message only appeared once.

Back
Top Bottom