Power/Weight Thread

Soldato
OP
I've done 5.25w/kg for a 10 up here and didn't even break 21 :p :p
I'd like to do a sub 20:30 up here this year but in all honesty, other than a ridiculous floaty conditions, I don't know how I can achieve it.

Soldato
That’s the trade off for weighing less than a paper bag. Uphill quick, flat and windy, not so much ;)

I don’t really have much mass to lose, it’s just being taller.

Soldato
@Berger I need to try that course of yours, it is so damn flat! I've pushed 290W for a 20:35 on the A3 which is hardly flat, hoping to be able to get at least 310W out for a 10 this year. Would hope for more based off my recent numbers. @xdcx for those numbers your course must have an horrendous surface!

Soldato
Thing is apart from the A3 and A27 all the ones I do down here are on pretty awful surfaces, but now the Sporting TT series is well supported you get some great challenging courses and end of the day everyone has to ride the same roads which is why I am targetting going sub 20 on the A3 and the A3 alone whereas I know a load of people who have gone to Hull to get sub 20.

Soldato
I've only just noticed that Strava has it's own Power Curve. I then notice it estimates my FTP to be up around 300?

ijQt1NR.png

How accurate is this? Any time I've done an FTP test on Zwift (which, tbf, I've not done for about 6 months) it came out closer to 250?

Soldato
.....and 1800W peak power! Is that right too? :p:eek:

Yeah, I've tried to find that as I initially assumed it must be false? When I look through the raw data of that ride, it never goes over 1,000W from what I can see? It was from a ride with my 4iiii crack power meter if it matters. I'd love to be able to remove that one bit if it was possible... assuming it's an error.

Soldato
64kg? You need to eat more boyo.

Well done for the hour though, well beyond what I can do. Probably about 4ish w/kg for an hour at 78kg which would be about the same NP as you but I'm 'fat'.

Soldato
OP
Thanks @Jonny ///M
I was 62.4kg that morning I think and it was 314w avg but 318w NP.

I'm still 8 watts down 20min wise this year but I'm 20w up over an hour.... and that's with very little base miles and mostly just smashing zwift races all winter. In theory it makes absolutely no sense to me at all but reckon it must be due to that mini base period of 2 months I done in middle of summer when I got made redundant.

Soldato
Beast mode. How you finding training currently @xdcx with no racing on the horizon. I'm expecting a busy cx season this year with everyone trying to make up for their lack of summer racing.

Soldato
Annoying that there are no races but in the grand scheme of things it's not that important so I'll get over it.

Legs are a bit sore after 12 hours last week, haven't had that amount of load in months!

Soldato
OP
Beast mode. How you finding training currently @xdcx with no racing on the horizon. I'm expecting a busy cx season this year with everyone trying to make up for their lack of summer racing.

I think you are right that CX will be ridiculous this year. Good from a numbers/participation level but with that comes the negative of it being full of absolute choppers wanting to play on their bikes. Like you see on the early spring (or more so late winter) road races where you can't even get a ride because they're all chomping at the bit.

I'm honestly just riding Zwift and that is it. My girlfriend still recovering from c-section, 2.5 year old is perma here as no child minder or grandparents allowed to have him plus the 3 week old means 2/3/4 hour rides are never going to be allowed. So 90mins is all I am getting so just doing as much SS and higher end stuff as possible as it is better than nothing and keeps me sane.

At this point, I am just churning away with no hope for anything race wise until HC season in October now. I'd like to hope that come August and September we can get some 10's/25's and maybe even a road race or two in before winter starts to come again. Be horrific if there is nothing at all this year!

Soldato
I think you are right that CX will be ridiculous this year. Good from a numbers/participation level but with that comes the negative of it being full of absolute choppers wanting to play on their bikes. Like you see on the early spring (or more so late winter) road races where you can't even get a ride because they're all chomping at the bit.

I'm honestly just riding Zwift and that is it. My girlfriend still recovering from c-section, 2.5 year old is perma here as no child minder or grandparents allowed to have him plus the 3 week old means 2/3/4 hour rides are never going to be allowed. So 90mins is all I am getting so just doing as much SS and higher end stuff as possible as it is better than nothing and keeps me sane.

At this point, I am just churning away with no hope for anything race wise until HC season in October now. I'd like to hope that come August and September we can get some 10's/25's and maybe even a road race or two in before winter starts to come again. Be horrific if there is nothing at all this year!

That's no different from every year though, some fat knacker from the road that has a good sprint getting way too involved at the start then dnf'ing every week.

Fair enough that sounds pretty manic! Definitely the right way to go if thats the only time you've got. @One More Solo I can't see there being nothing this year on the road, but suspect it will be limited to August and September when the rest of the sport goes back to normal. I'm going for the opposite of some big miles/saddle time with SS or just over Threshold as my Max with big chunks of Z3, but then bit easier with no kids! I'm enjoying being on the bike by 16:30 after work and getting everything done and away by 18:30 most evenings. Also adjusted my schedule a bit from a weekly plan to 3 on 1 off (17.5 hours last week....), seems to be working ok, rest/recovery week this week and my legs were fairly shot, so hopefully I can recover sufficiently by next week to get back on it. If not will need to tweak. Probably another block of SS/Z3 majority and then hopeful we'll have an idea of when things are returning to normal, but most of my focus is already on CX season.

Last edited:
Soldato
Reading through the past couple of pages makes me feel like the Conor Dunne of the OCUK peleton!

Anyway, my first ever power test with a proper PM:

Username - #Chri5#
Age - 40 and a bit (too many youngsters around here!)
Height - 6'1
Weight - 84kg (Mrs Chris's mince pies are just too damn good)

5 second - 998w; 11.88w/kg
1 minute - 453w; 5.39w/kg
5 minute - 325w; 3.86w/kg
20 minute - 262w; 3.11w/kg

Gear - Assioma Duo PM pedals, Garmin 800, Kinetic Road Machine
Test - Sufferfest Full Frontal 4DP (will link a Strava workout once I've synced my Edge though I only share with followers by default). Have previous Full Frontal test results from 2018 but they are all virtual power so not sure of the relevance in comparing them.

Five second power surprised me with a figure that high. Weight will come down (though we've not even started the Christmas Cake yet!). Best I got to last summer was 80.3kg, so targeting 80kg again.

I had a crack at the new Sufferfest ramp test called Half Monty on Sunday. Compared back to 7th January above:

Weight - 80.7kg last Tuesday, 81.6 today - hopefully that's water retention, not cake retention!

5 second - 998w; 11.88w/kg (no change - not tested)
1 minute - 453w; 5.39w/kg (no change - not tested)
5 minute - was 325w, now 350w (4.32w/kg)
20 minute - was 262w, now 285w (3.5w/kg)

All the morning TT sessions during lockdown are obviously helping. Not sure if I got the ramp test protocol correct - are you meant to stop as soon as you can't hold the target? Even if you could surge back up and hold it for another a short window?

Soldato
Ramp test tonight puts me at exactly 3.50 w/kg.

Aiming for 3.60/3.65 by the end of the summer, it's a big ask of myself, but I'm pretty determined!

Back
Top Bottom