Powerflush and Central Heating Filter - essential or scam?

Capodecina
Soldato
Further to another post where I asked about the comparative strengths and weaknesses of Hive -v- Vsmart boiler program devices (LINK) I am also puzzled by the alleged need to have my radiators and pipework "Powerflushed" and to have a Magnetic Filter fitted on the boiler return.

Is this all essential? I have never had my existing C/H system Powerflushed and I don't have a Magnetic Filter - just a failing Honeywell motorised valve.

Soldato
How old is the system? A power flush is not usually recommended for a system unless changing a major part i.e. the boiler it's self. A magnaclean is a good addition to any system as they will pull out all sorts of gunk and can be regularly monitored.

Soldato
Chemical flush is preferred and an early first service to clean the magnetic filter. Power flush much too harsh for what is basically unknown quality pipework and fittings.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
I’ve read powerflush can cause more harm than good on older systems
Fair point, I had not considered that.

As it happens, the query relates to the replacement of a (non-condensing) boiler with a new (condensing) boiler. The pipe work, most of the radiators and the boiler are of indeterminate age.
Well yeah but it's a pretty big it depends on a pretty impossible to calculate unknown.
As you say, who knows what the state of pipes under concrete and floorboards might be.

I would have thought that a Powerflush would not be under significantly higher pressure than normal circulating hot water but I would certainly want to confirm that before having anything done.

Soldato
Are you keeping the F&E tank in the loft? If so it is a low pressure system and was always designed to be low pressure. I wouldn't risk it.

Soldato
Are you keeping the F&E tank in the loft? If so it is a low pressure system and was always designed to be low pressure. I wouldn't risk it.

Absolutely this, now knowing they install type I completely agree. Having pipes bedded in concrete with an old property always worries me, concrete eats copper over time when the copper is not sleeved, and early is it sleeved in older properties.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
I'm not sure what "F&E Tank" is but suspect that it may be "Feed and Expansion"?

There is a small red circular cylinder that includes some pressure gauge that I think reads 1.5 BAR? I believe that the system is a closed loop. Does that make any difference?

As to the pipework under the concrete, I suspect that it is wrapped in hessian tape - at least the bits that I can see where it comes up from the concrete.

Feedback that I have had is that modern boilers are more likely to suffer from any debris in the pipework and that a system should always be flushed before a magnetic filter is employed.

Soldato
I'm not sure what "F&E Tank" is but suspect that it may be "Feed and Expansion"?

There is a small red circular cylinder that includes some pressure gauge that I think reads 1.5 BAR? I believe that the system is a closed loop. Does that make any difference?

As to the pipework under the concrete, I suspect that it is wrapped in hessian tape - at least the bits that I can see where it comes up from the concrete.

Feedback that I have had is that modern boilers are more likely to suffer from any debris in the pipework and that a system should always be flushed before a magnetic filter is employed.
Ah right you have a closed loop system which runs under a much higher pressure than an F&E system in any case.

Flush can be either a chemical or power flush. I think given you already have a high pressure system it is up to you but buyer beware. Should be fine unless you know of any dodgy pipework. That should have been evident though if the 1.5BAR was all over the place and needing constant attention (indicating a weap or something).

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Ah right you have a closed loop system which runs under a much higher pressure than an F&E system in any case.

Flush can be either a chemical or power flush. I think given you already have a high pressure system it is up to you but buyer beware. Should be fine unless you know of any dodgy pipework. That should have been evident though if the 1.5BAR was all over the place and needing constant attention (indicating a weep or something).
Thanks for all your advice, I guess that I should discuss (now from a vaguely knowledgeable base) with the boiler installer before committing.

However, I am now inclined to go for both the powerflush and a magnetic filter.

As to the 1.5 BAR being all over the place, so far as I can recall, the only time I have had to open the tap to top it up was after occasionally bleeding various radiators come the Autumn.

Soldato
Thanks for all your advice, I guess that I should discuss (now from a vaguely knowledgeable base) with the boiler installer before committing.

However, I am now inclined to go for both the powerflush and a magnetic filter.

As to the 1.5 BAR being all over the place, so far as I can recall, the only time I have had to open the tap to top it up was after occasionally bleeding various radiators come the Autumn.
Magnetic filter is a given, you will be hard struck to find a plumber who won't fit one of those. Manufacturers require it now I believe too.

The question is power flush versus chemical flush. Power flush will be 600 odd quid on top of your bill and require a device that looks like a wet and dry vac you rent from B&Q. Chemical flush will be 50 quid + labour or something (probably won't even be itemised).

Soldato
The same here, I just had a new Worcester system boiler fitted last week and a filter was fitted and a chemical flush was done as part of the work which includes the 10yr warranty.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
My heating system was proper jammed with crap a few years ago, no amount of power flushing would have shifted that without damaging other parts of the system. I ended up ripping up a floorboard and cutting a good foot of pipe out, there was barely a pin hole allowing water through!

Soldato
Just had a Worcester/Bosch combi fitted and filter was a requirement to get the 10 year warranty, the engineer gave the system it a chemical flush .
Exactly the same for me. He came back this year and changed the filter, all linked to the warranty i believe.

Back
Top Bottom