1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powering some fans...

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by valve90210, 11 Jul 2006.

1. valve90210

Mobster

Right, this is a bit of a strange question.

I am thinking of building a frame to hold some case fans, probably 120mm ones, to place over my home cinema amp to help keep in cool when watching films in hot weather but I can’t think how I would power them. I did think about the use of batteries but soon dismissed it as being a bad idea. I would like to include a fan controller so I can have the fans running nice and slowly so they don’t make too much noise.

Ideally I’d like to do it via mains power but don’t know how I would go about doing this. Anyone got any ideas? I did wonder about maybe building a box and sticking an old computer poser supply in there and running the power wires from it to the frame…would this be safe?

Valve

2. bitslice

PermaBanned

got any of those black power bricks lying around ?

3. valve90210

Mobster

Probably me being dumb, but what do you mean?

Valve

4. bitslice

PermaBanned

power adapters, generally 240v to 9v DC
    ....13pin plug with switchmode PSU moulded on the back

used for DECT phones, HP printers etc

(...umm, maybe power bricks is an American expression ?)

5. valve90210

Mobster

I get what you mean now, unfortunately I don't have any lying around at the mo. I do have an old computer power supplay that I could use but don't know if it's be safe to do so. Also not entirely sure how I would go about hooking it up to the fans...???

Valve

6. bitslice

PermaBanned

source some 240v PAPST fans ?

some fans include a Molex adapator, just plug that into one of the PSU output cables

-------------
    edit:
    PSU power on frig:

http://modtown.co.uk/mt/article2.php?id=psumod

add one of the fan controllers from Overclockers to control the fan speed

Last edited: 11 Jul 2006
  7. Arthalen

Wise Guy

Easy - use that spare PSU you have!

If it has a switch on the back, you could just use a paper clip on the ATX connector to keep it 'on' constantly and just turn the fans on and off via the switch on the back of the PSU.

I keep a PSU spare - and its come in handy for testing Fans and my water cooling seperately to my main rig.

8. Arthalen

Wise Guy

Forgot to say - unwind the paperclip, then push one end into the green cable connector and the other into a black ground connector.

Easy as pie.