Powerline Networking Recomandations

Soldato
Hello All,

I'm a little clueless when it comes to performance and Powerline Networking, i know its dependent to some extent on the wiring but specifications of the Powerline plug is obviously a big factor. Could someone recommend me a pair? Used to supply the internet and network between 2 PC's. Used with a Sky Q router if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Soldato
Performance is generally very touch and go but of the brands I've dealt with and customers have insisted they use. Devolo is usually the one that comes out at the top of the tree for ease of use, performance and reliability.

Soldato
I’ve used them a lot and the fastest ones I have found so far are tplink av2000.

I get around 220mbit when downloading from multiple FTP sessions.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've used various TPLink models in a new build and Victorian house with no issues.

You can always return them if they dont work for a different manufacturer.

Associate
Victorian property often has thicker copper cabling as they were "doing it properly" back then, least in my experience trying to strip the wiring.

*mumbles about it's not made like it used to be*

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
^ as @bremen1874 says. Mine was re-wired in the 80s I believe so the 2.5mm T&E will be pretty much the same but I'm sure deteriorated in some way. Interestingly, I've got a tonne of 2.5mm T&E in the shed from recently re-wiring the kitchen ; I'm tempted to knock up test to see what speeds I could theoretically get with some fresh wiring, see how well these can really perform under the right conditions.

Soldato
I'm using the Pa9020P kit. I get ~200mbit sustained when downloading, old Victorian place with decades old wiring.

I always wonder if the quality of cabling has peaked at all - with the massive population and housing boom, surely they've not been able to produce quality copper wiring for more recent properties? The older stuff is more likely to be closer to 100% copper

Soldato
^ as @bremen1874 says. Mine was re-wired in the 80s I believe so the 2.5mm T&E will be pretty much the same but I'm sure deteriorated in some way. Interestingly, I've got a tonne of 2.5mm T&E in the shed from recently re-wiring the kitchen ; I'm tempted to knock up test to see what speeds I could theoretically get with some fresh wiring, see how well these can really perform under the right conditions.

Save yourself the agro and just plug them into the same double socket - it removes the cabling from the equation.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/30833400/

That’s what I got when I spent a few mins testing on a TPLink AV500 product, admittedly it’s only sync speed reported by the app and the 100mbit ports make it a moot point anyway, but powerline can produce acceptable numbers, i’d just not want to move a few TB over that particular kit if running a cable was even remotely possible.

Soldato
My extension is on different circuit, any way to get better speeds with power line after adapters?

That depends on what you class as better and what speeds you have - just following common sense doubled my sync speeds (see my post above). Running a cable should always be your first option, but in theory (and depending on your layout), you could run a network cable to the extension, then power line on circuit to wherever you need without penalty. Thing is, if you're going to do that, then you may as well run a cable, if internal is impractical then run externally, it's quick and easy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom