Pre-Binned chips: Physical or Software Vcore

Soldato
This follows on from my thread here: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/asrock-extreme-4-vcore-reading.18825307/

Which begs the question: With your pre-binned chips it says, for example: "*Guaranteed minimum overclock of 5.1Ghz with an AIO 240mm cooler with 1.35-1.425v*", is this BIOS/software reading or physical (multimeter) readings?

Reason being my ASRock Extreme 4 with a 8600K gives a difference between the output from the PWM and software of about 0.06-0.08V, i.e. if the software shows a load voltage of 1.408V, the multimeter shows 1.498V(!). Some of the difference in HWINFO seems to be that the Vcore shown increases in 16mv steps which doesn't help...

Could you make some physical readings of Vcores for your binned chips to confirm the voltage they are actually receiving?

I'm fairly sure I can get this chip Prime95 stable at 5GHZ if I use the software reading, but I'd need ~1.5V physical reading which is too high given Intels spec...

I've dropped down to 4.9Ghz and 1.4V physical reading in the mean time. (~65C load)

Soldato
I think 99% of people only just software

Would be interesting to know if werew all killing our chips slowly?

I've always overclocked and always pushed my chip to either to the "safe voltage" or just over. I've mostly water cooled so temps have never been a problem.

I wouldn't buy a binned chip but I would like to know if we are over volting?

@8 Pack

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
I have never used multimeter on Asrock board. But I have on ASUS where actual and software is very close. In general we are using software for this. Also that Asrock board is not in our list of boards we certify with these CPUs. Ofcourse it should work but we did not try it.

Back
Top Bottom