Pre season friendly thread - keep em in here please

Soldato
wow watched 5mins and saw the rooney sending off, i couldnt believe my eyes, as said yes he did lead with his forearm, but it was a natural movement for the jump, and he didnt take his eyes off the ball for one instance, the referee was perfectly sighted. Very Very harsh decision, yellow at most but even that i believe that would have been unfair.

Soldato
Awesome goal by Solskjaer - I'm really hoping there'll be a glut of goals from him this season :D More excellent work by Park, VdS and Foster and Carrick still did nothing.

Scholes sending off was very harsh imo. It was a stupid challenge but there was very minimal contact and to give a straight red for that beggars belief. Second yellow maybe, but not a straight red. That ref was a joke, no card for Adriano despite slamming into the keeper three times in about 20 minutes.

Don
Hope Liverpool sort them self out by Wednesday, we're 2-0 down to some small German side atm. :(

edit\ it gets worse 5-0 :o :( :mad:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Friendly or not, that's a shocking result days before we play in the CL qualifying round. We only just beat Grazer AK in 2004 and only just beat CSKA Sofia in 2005. Hope we don't slip up at the first hurdle.

Don
4 of the 5 were scored (i suppose all, as Riise and Finnan didnt play) when the first choice player were taken off, but a 2nd or 3rd div German side shouldnt be better than our reserves/youth players. From the sounds of it they were very slack and were treating it as a bit of a kick about

Soldato
It's all good and well saying it's just a friendly - but I don't want the CL Games and start of the Premiership season to be the games were we begin to get into the flow.

I'm pretty annoyed at how we've gone about the friendlies - absolutely embarrassing.

Associate
Slogan said:
It's all good and well saying it's just a friendly - but I don't want the CL Games and start of the Premiership season to be the games were we begin to get into the flow.

I'm pretty annoyed at how we've gone about the friendlies - absolutely embarrassing.

How come? Pre season is about giving every player a chance to gain some fitness and giving fringe / youth players their chance to stake a claim for the season ahead.

Rafa like every manager has used pre season to try out different things, try different players in different positions and give every player a chance.

Ok its never good when your team looses, friendly or not, but its better to get a kick up the backside and get the complacency out of the system before the start of the season than to let the players and fans think that because problem areas such as right wing and strikers have been sorted that all of a sudden Liverpool are going to win the league and there is nothing to worry about.

Rafa is no ones fool he knows what he is doing and he has a clear idea of where he is going with things, if he says things will improve then they will just wait and see.

Reading the players interviews over this pre season its clear that all of the players are putting in a lot of hard work and they are feeling the strain but thats what pre season is all about. I mean the team has been doing intensive training sessions the same day as playing these matches so its no wonder that they are getting tired later on in games and mistakes start to happen. Might not be good for them now and its not but 40 / 50 games into next season they will reep the benefits of an intensive pre season.

I am glad we are getting beat, it helps bring a lot of supporters down to earth and helps take the presure off the team for the new season as now the fans don't have as high expectations as they once had. Like any manager Rafa is happy to loose in friendlies just so long as the team doesn't loose in real games that actually mean something.

Permabanned
Over the years Liverpool have had amazing pre-seasons and then gone on to be completely average when the season starts.

You should be glad your pre-season has been rotten, it's a sign. LIVERPOOL D@ TREBLE!!!11111 OMG NOES.

:)

Man of Honour
Chelsea lost 1-0 to the whole of the USA last night & to be fair they were the better prepared team. Everyone looked out of sorts or unfit, except JT & Essien who good games.
Worryingly though Cole came off after only 7mins or so with what appears to be knee ligament damage:(

Back
Top Bottom