Preferred pronouns

Soldato
All over our workplace. Seemed weird for about 5 minutes and carried on with our lives.

The outrage in this thread is rather predictable. Culture wars really do work.

I think you'll find outraged people literally cry in the streets, go on organised demonstrations to tell the rest of the world why they (or the people they have decided) are victims, inflict violence on anyone that doesn't share their view and then devote their time and energy to cancelling people... Spending 30 seconds on a forum saying how irrelevant it is does not constitute 'outrage'.

Bugger :)
Not easy and even when I read my reply 5 times because of my dyslexia.

One of my daughters friends transitioned from 'female' to 'male' (if we where to heinously generalise) when they where 14 (now 17), he can't stand gender politics and gets upset every time random people starting asking for his pronouns etc because it completely undermines why he transitioned.. He views most people obsessed with pronouns as just narcissistic queer types, i.e. their entire lives revolves around their gender which is not a healthy activity.

He knows most people refer to him as 'they' anyway since most people struggle in conversation with him.. I am mindful, I've known him for 8 years before he transitioned and so I screw up every now and again, however it's more of a running joke now, he doesn't get offended by it as he knows I have been very supportive, but I'm human and so my brain sometimes struggles!

Man of Honour
I don't really see outrage in this thread. Just people who think it's a little pointless and adds very little to society / work environments.

It's just strange we live in a society where people have to now choose pronouns and if the wrong one is used they get "offended". I mean I get getting offended for calling someone a **** or character assassinate the person (even then I think people have become a little more fragile?), but getting offended because you refer them to he / she incorrectly is a little pathetic no?

Most people don't go out of their way to offend people, and most people come into work not to be a dick to others. So what if you get the pronoun wrong? Is it a really a big deal? And how many "non-binary" people are out there anyway? Are we not pandering to the minority?

Anyway, pronouns are relatively new concept for most people (at least most over 40!) so I think people who feel it is important just need to be patient and realise this is quite a new concept for a large percentage of the population. We do seem to have become overly sensitive and unnecessarily fragile about stuff these days.

Capodecina
Soldato
Anyway, pronouns are relatively new concept for most people (at least most over 40!) so I think people who feel it is important just need to be patient and realise this is quite a new concept for a large percentage of the population. We do seem to have become overly sensitive and unnecessarily fragile about stuff these days.

I would imagine that's because people need something to get worked up about: tension, resistance and problem-solving is part of what makes us working, worthwhile and stronger organisms. I think it's a sign of our times and culture that pronouns and gender identification are becoming problematic, and I think it's because we have fewer issues in the West, so we end up inventing them.

The old adage "nothing better to do" is actually true in this context.

Caporegime
Makes you wonder - what email signatures are going to be like in 20 years' time :p?

[she], [hu-woman], [European Caucasian], [Level 1a vegan].

I was too harsh in my earlier criticism, but have an inkling how threads like this end up - usually just a matter of time.

Soldato
Not everyone pays attention to or reads signatures (I dont usually), so it will have to go in a banner at the top of the email :D

Maybe it can also go on their foreheads, so we know before speaking.

Caporegime
So to not indicate a gender one picks the identifier, identifying you as non gender, absolutely brilliant logic.

Wouldn't it just be as easy to write Efour, rather than Mx Efour? For example?
Or does that not stand out screaming, look at me I'm so special, bask in my non-binary Ness.

Drama.

But whatever I live in a land with he, she and a 3rd identifier, what do I know... I call people it sometimes for lols then blame my bad Swedish.

Associate
I may be thick, but why put she/her of they're already female/she /her or is it to do with identifying?

Tbh, it doesn't bother me, I'm more intrigued just so I know!

My wife is of Punjabi origin and most Punjabi names are gender neutral so you don't get from the name that you're conversing with a lady...

I have no problem with people putting their preferred pronouns. Not something I want to do yet but if they want to.. fine by me

Is anyone using the Futurama "schle/schler" yet? :)

Soldato
So to not indicate a gender one picks the identifier, identifying you as non gender, absolutely brilliant logic.

Wouldn't it just be as easy to write Efour, rather than Mx Efour? For example?
Or does that not stand out screaming, look at me I'm so special, bask in my non-binary Ness.

Drama.

But whatever I live in a land with he, she and a 3rd identifier, what do I know... I call people it sometimes for lols then blame my bad Swedish.
It is rooted in that fact that the weirdo generation that decided women needed their own prefix 'Mrs' to indicate they were married. Then they gave us 'Ms' to indicate they didn't want to say - which was even weirder; so Mx is "what's it to you"; as it should be.

Soldato
The answer is, it depends on who is counting and it is deeply political. Nice try with the facetious link to LMGTFY though. If we can't even agree on number of countries how else do you propose we draft a list of official pronouns and only use the ones that are officially accepted? (And who decides who is official?)
You seem to have missed the point of what I said, so are presumably now paraphrasing the very point I made in an effort to try and school me on something...

But to answer your question - Easy... Just adopt those that the majority agree on and abandon all the outliers proposed by the minority organisations. Same way most other things work, really.

Anyway your replies are worse than dowie-holes so I won't be continuing the discussion, but I hope you learnt something
Are you're saying I'm wrong, and that the HR department does get to decide what peoples' pronouns are?

Associate
Declaring your preferred pronouns is definately a bit strange when your gender matches your sex.

Are people who do this virtue signalling or are they trying to be supportive? Perhaps this is the same thing.

I've only ever spoken to two people whose gender didn't match their sex. My wife was a secondary school teacher until recently and she had told me that there were a substantial number of trans children at her school. The world is indeed changing and this sort of thing will become increasingly prevelant. Its probably easier to get on the bus sooner rather than later...

Man of Honour
One of my daughters friends transitioned from 'female' to 'male' (if we where to heinously generalise) when they where 14 (now 17), he can't stand gender politics and gets upset every time random people starting asking for his pronouns etc because it completely undermines why he transitioned.. He views most people obsessed with pronouns as just narcissistic queer types, i.e. their entire lives revolves around their gender which is not a healthy activity.

To be honest the drummer who corrected me loads of times is also like that and always said it with a smirk.
She also doesn't get involved in all that malarky, just wants to get on with life.

Associate
I don't get it.
You send someone an email and use the wrong pronoun (they're called Kim for example as it can be used by both Men and Women), they reply back that they're a 'him' not a 'her', you apologise and carry on with normal business.
What's the terrible crime committed?

Man of Honour
I don't get it.
You send someone an email and use the wrong pronoun (they're called Kim for example as it can be used by both Men and Women), they reply back that they're a 'him' not a 'her', you apologise and carry on with normal business.
What's the terrible crime committed?

You've upset the woke generation.

Which deserves a life sentence.

You monster.

ne0

ne0

Associate
I've considered putting "Sir / MyLord" but it will get shot down by HR as not one of the "acceptable" pronouns - which would be quite entertaining as I thought the whole point was you should be free to choose your pronoun to make you feel more comfortable and accepted.

This has me lolling big time I have no idea why :cry::cry::cry:

Back
Top Bottom