Preferred pronouns

fez

fez

Caporegime
I was pondering Lord/Master.

Oh please do and see what happens. I am a programmer and there was a massive ho hah when all the BLM stuff was kicking off last year where people wanted to change the terminology of certain computing terms because they had either the term master or slave. Which obviously made POC feel horrible and put them off a career in computer and its just another micro-aggression that they have to deal with etc etc. If you don't agree with changing this you are part of the problem or are just a bigot.

Its quite impressive what people can take far too literally and seriously and kick off about.

As others have mentioned, its not the people who think the gender lunacy should stop that are kick off about it, boycotting businesses and generally being a menace, its the other side who have far too much time on their hands and are bullying everyone they can into adopting their doctrine.

Soldato
Here's a radical suggestion which I'm sure you'll get triggered by:

Perhaps you could try asking people why they don't obey your commands about how they should think rather than making up a reason and ascribing it to them.

"Always yell with the crowd, that's what I say. It's the only way to be safe"

I like to hold out hope that this could be the state of mind of people that go along willingly, while attacking those that don't. The other explanation is that they do not like other people thinking for themselves, which is quite a scary place to be.

Caporegime
preferred pronouns seems to be the dumbest crap ever.
people just want to feel "special"
use the name it's what it's for anyway

people whom are going out of their way to be offended can spin on 2 fingers as far as I'm concerned

just how weak and pathetic are people that someone accidentally saying the wrong pronoun is so offensive? you know it's a bloody accident...... depending on the setting and the context... rub a few brain cells together

Caporegime
The "everyones a winner" generation grew up and this is the result.
yea you can certainly tell who was raised as a "winner" and everyone's "special"

you know what I was told at school?
Bright but doesn't make the effort, should try harder etc in all my reports.

I knew I was crap at sports, I absolutely hated PE.

I don't know how it works now but when I was at school in the 90s it worked like this.

PE teacher says what we are doing, then either tells everyone to find a partner..... I was always the guy stood seeing who was unfortunate enough to be left over and stuck with me, or if we had uneven numbers I'd be ALONE...
the horrors....

if it would be a team sport like football, 2 of the best kids would be picked and then take turns picking their teams one by one.
I was obviously crap at sport so always one of the last few to be picked....

yea it was a crap experience, did I cry ? no I was used to it, I knew I was crap so why would I be wanted?
lifes not fair deal with it and grow a thick skin or learn to ignore people

Last edited:
Soldato
Same. Never good at football or rugby, so never got picked lol. But smashed everyone at racket sports. I suppose that just means a team holds me back :p

Caporegime
Yeah i got "forced" into playing rugby as a 13 year-old as i was extremely big for my age, They even put me in the seniors team a couple of times. Those are the teenagers that really care, i got the crap beaten out of me tbh. People that wanted to play lol.
Our PE teacher was some rugby obsessed welsh c word.
No one gives a **** about rugby in east London let me tell you that right away.

Even though i was particularly good at it, crushing kids half your size isn't really hard, i took zero joy in it.
In fact it probably turned me off team sports for life.

So GG Mr. Bowen, thanks for making years 7-10 at school a little more miserable :p
The other PE teacher was trying to get me into basketball for similar size reasons but that was even worse than rugby.

paedophile c words, wonder what they are upto now... probably in their 70s/80s

Caporegime
I'm not sure what difference it makes either - I can't really think of a situation where I wouldn't refer to people at work by name.

True, I guess it's perhaps old-fashioned but it used to be considered rude even to refer to people by pronouns, thus the odd expression "who's she, the cat's mother?"

For example:
https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/403263/whos-she-the-cats-mother
A rebuke especially directed towards children for having referred to a woman as "she", instead of using her name or an appropriately respectful title.

I guess these days though people do casually use pronouns in conversation and so it becomes relevant, where the issue arises perhaps is with bizarre made-up pronouns... it's one thing to address people as he/him, she/her, or they/them... it's potentially getting a bit silly if there are about 100 other possible variations and if you have some people who decide to use unique ones and/or change these semi-regularly too - like Fae/faeself, zi/zer etc.. or whatever gobbledygook they want to choose.

I think that on one hand, you shouldn't intentionally misgender someone as he/him if they wish to be referred to as she/her or vice versa, on the other hand, when it comes to the rest, I think it needs to be kept in mind that they/them is a generic reference that can be applied to literally anyone regardless of pronouns and you can always just use that.

Associate
Same. Never good at football or rugby, so never got picked lol. But smashed everyone at racket sports. I suppose that just means a team holds me back :p

I couldn't hit the ball in any bat and ball type game. And then at uni I tried to play pool a few times and could rarely hit anything. Zero co ordination and balance.

But I was always expected to be able to do everything perfectly and quickly like a macho macho man.

Soldato
I don't really see outrage in this thread. Just people who think it's a little pointless and adds very little to society / work environments.

It's just strange we live in a society where people have to now choose pronouns and if the wrong one is used they get "offended". I mean I get getting offended for calling someone a **** or character assassinate the person (even then I think people have become a little more fragile?), but getting offended because you refer them to he / she incorrectly is a little pathetic no?

Most people don't go out of their way to offend people, and most people come into work not to be a dick to others. So what if you get the pronoun wrong? Is it a really a big deal? And how many "non-binary" people are out there anyway? Are we not pandering to the minority?

Anyway, pronouns are relatively new concept for most people (at least most over 40!) so I think people who feel it is important just need to be patient and realise this is quite a new concept for a large percentage of the population. We do seem to have become overly sensitive and unnecessarily fragile about stuff these days.

How many times have you been called she instead of he?

New concept…. You’ve been called he your whole life I gather, and so have every other person, defined by their gender daily, it’s part of language and identity. Two very important factors, which I imagine are quite annoying to be consistently referred to as the wrong one.

Back
Top Bottom