Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 18 Team PL, little or no more power to the top 6 and save the EFL

Votes: 56 78.9%
  • 20 Team PL and the EFL dies.

Votes: 14 19.7%

• Total voters
Don
OP
A very good podcast here with Matt Slater discussing all the details of this. The background of this, the details of the proposal and looking at the good and bad.

edit: one of the most interesting things from this is how the EFL clubs are more against the bottom PL sides than the top 6, with those clubs looking to hamper the EFL sides more than the top 6.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know what you mean in that first sentence.

What I mean is if all these proposals go through any club that is promoted to the PL would have less power than if they were promoted now. This is a power grab and they are offering money those EFL clubs desperately need in return for less power should they get promoted. I want nothing to do with it in the same way I'd want nothing to do with any European Super League even if my club was in it. Its pure greed by the top clubs.

Soldato
I like the charity shield, it is a fun season opener.

I also like the league Cup, and so do the so called big 6 as they seem to prioritise that over the fa Cup due to the better timing of the big matches in the season.

Don
OP
Can't vote for any of those options. No need for 18 teams, no need for power to change to the big 6, no reason why the premier league can't give more of the tv money to the lower leagues.
How do you suggest persuading 20 club owners to give up £x without offering them anything in return?
What I mean is if all these proposals go through any club that is promoted to the PL would have less power than if they were promoted now. This is a power grab and they are offering money those EFL clubs desperately need in return for less power should they get promoted. I want nothing to do with it in the same way I'd want nothing to do with any European Super League even if my club was in it. Its pure greed by the top clubs.
That's possibly true however I'd suggest everybody listens to the podcast above regarding what EFL sides themselves think and their views on the bigger PL sides and smaller PL sides. According to Matt Slater the talks between the PL and EFL regarding any rescue package have all included lots of conditions designed to protect the smaller PL sides (presumably making it easier for any relegated PL side to get promoted straight back) and this proposal is seen as far more favourable.

It also comments on the reality that this power shift is not likely to pass and the real goal is probably some sort of compromise. They've speculated that the compromise could be changing from a 14-6 majority being required to pass anything to simply any majority.

Associate
I think an 18 team PL and scrapping the League Cup (or making it non-mandatory for PL teams) is a reasonable compromise for 25% of all TV revenue.

You wouldn't necessarily have more clubs being demoted, for two seasons you could have 3 teams getting relegated but only two teams promoted in each division.

Don
OP
I don't think there's too much opposition to this part of the proposal. The opposition is mainly to do with the voting rights. Maybe moving to a simple majority (10 to 8 in an 18 team league for example) would be a fair compromise on that. It still requires a majority but not one quite as big. This could drag on for years before any change actually happens though, what that means for the EFL in the short term I have no idea.

Don
OP
What's Parry done wrong thats upset you so much Woppy? His job is to do the best for the EFL. This deal is groundbreaking and the best thing that's happened to the EFL in years.

You only have to look at the fact that pretty much the entire EFL support these plans.

Soldato
What's Parry done wrong thats upset you so much Woppy? His job is to do the best for the EFL. This deal is groundbreaking and the best thing that's happened to the EFL in years.

You only have to look at the fact that pretty much the entire EFL support these plans.
And he could have done that with the £375m offer for a 20% share, but he knocked that back in the middle of a pandemic to meddle in the PL to ensure the top6 stay just that, like you give a **** about the EFL anyway, all your interested in is how your team can manipulate its way to stay at the top for years to come

Don
OP
And he could have done that with the £375m offer for a 20% share, but he knocked that back in the middle of a pandemic to meddle in the PL to ensure the top6 stay just that, like you give a **** about the EFL anyway, all your interested in is how your team can manipulate its way to stay at the top for years to come
Jesus Christ woppy, no he could not have done!. How on earth is selling off 20% of the League (which means selling off 20% of all future revenues) good for the EFL? All that was is a short term life saver. Long term the issues the EFL have would only be even greater. Sides would be receiving even less money (as 20% is being given to this private equity firm) creating an even bigger gap between them and the PL, encouraging even more clubs to gamble with their lives to make it into the PL.

The main point of "Project Big Picture" is that it's not just a short term life saver for the EFL but a long term deal that makes EFL football sustainable. The gap in revenue between the top of the Championship and the bottom of the PL will be slashed making it no longer sensible for clubs to risk their future and it also puts in place hard spending caps to prevent them too. This needs to be really clear, this deal from the EFL's point of view is amazing. There's not been anything like this since the start of the PL and you only have to look at the reaction from EFL clubs to see they are fully supportive of it. And again, before you say anything, yes the top 6 don't care about the EFL they're doing it for their own gain. That's 100% true and the EFL don't care about the top 6, they're doing it for their own gain too.

The negative part of this deal is 100% at PL level, not the EFL. If the change in voting rights is scrapped or watered down then this deal could be the best thing that's happened to English football since the formation of the PL. It can only happen with an 18 team PL though - cutting the PL to 18 teams goes a long way for paying for the support they're proposing giving the EFL.

edit: This wasn't initially reported when the news broke but it's now come out that the top sides are also proposing selling the overseas rights for 8 games themselves. Overseas rights are currently worth around £1.4bn per season so 8 games (in a 34 game season) would be worth around £320m. Most of that £320m would now end up in the hands of Liverpool, Utd etc (costing other sides approx £10m per season) so that's obvious another issue in their plans.

Last edited:
Soldato

I wouldn't back anything the glaziers back they just want money and power I think the EFL and the rest of prem teams will regret it if they accept this deal what the answer is I dont know I voted no 2

Don
OP
I wouldn't back anything the glaziers back they just want money and power I think the EFL and the rest of prem teams will regret it if they accept this deal what the answer is I dont know I voted no 2
Almost everybody has voted for the 2nd option, which shows you there are discussions to be had around this. Not everything has to be black and white, right or wrong. There are good parts to this deal and their are some not so good parts. At the very least this has started a conversation and hopefully clubs and Leagues will now start devising a plan over how best to move forwards and find a solution that works for more people.

As I've said several times in this thread, the focus is on the evil big 6 but the other 14 PL sides do not want to help the EFL. In fact they are less likely to help the EFL because they're not going to get anything in return from it. Matt Slater said in the podcast I linked yesterday that, according to EFL clubs, it's the bottom PL sides that are trying to put huge conditions on any bail out the PL might offer, designed to protect themselves. And again, Steve Parish made his view clear - why should Tesco help a corner shop or deliveroo help a local cafe, those were his words when defending the PL's position regarding helping the EFL.

The only way to help the EFL is to cut funds to the PL. In the same way John Henry and the Glazers don't want to lose any money, neither does Mike Ashley at Newcastle or Steve Parish at Palace. Cutting the PL to 18 teams kind of resolves this issue - instead of splitting PL money between 20 teams you're only splitting it between 18 team, freeing up funds to pass down to the EFL. The downside is your Newcastle's, Burnley's and Palace's of this world face an increased chance of being relegated but lets be honest, I think we can all get behind throwing Burnley and Newcastle out of the League :p

ps I'm joking about Newcastle woppy, not about Burnley though.
Sky sports reporting Parry should resign.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-should-resign-over-project-big-picture-plans

"A board member at a Premier League club says there is agreement among 14 clubs that EFL chairman Rick Parry should resign over 'Project Big Picture' plans."

This is what happens when you have shady meetings behind the back of other clubs.
It's not the PL's place to decide on who runs the EFL. There's some incredible irony in PL clubs, upset about the top 6 trying to dictate to them, wanting to dictate who runs the EFL.

Parry's job is to do what's best for the EFL clubs, not Burnley, Newcastle or Liverpool. No doubt your Burnley's and Newcastle's of this world aren't happy right now but I'm yet to see a comment from an EFL club that do not support the fundementals of this deal, at least the parts that effect them anyway.

That said, if this doesn't result in any sort of deal forthcoming for the EFL I can't see how he stays. But then again, if this doesn't result in some sort of deal we might not have so many clubs in the EFL either.

edit: The views of EFL clubs below. Some how it's got lost in all this but the views of 72 EFL sides are as important as 14 (+ the big 6) PL sides.

Don
OP
A join statement from the supporters groups of the big 6 sides:

https://www.arsenaltrust.org/feed/news/2020/AST-project big picture

In summary, they're in agreement that reform needs to take place and are supportive of some of the parts of the proposal but are totally against the shift in power to the big 6. I'll file them under option 2 then.

I don't want to take all of the credit for this (joking again woppy) but it appears there is a general consensus among all football supporters that some sort of compromise between what's being proposed and the current situation needs to happen. Now we have the challenge of convincing at least 14 of the 20 PL owners to agree on that compromise.

Soldato
Almost everybody has voted for the 2nd option, which shows you there are discussions to be had around this. Not everything has to be black and white, right or wrong. There are good parts to this deal and their are some not so good parts. At the very least this has started a conversation and hopefully clubs and Leagues will now start devising a plan over how best to move forwards and find a solution that works for more people.

As I've said several times in this thread, the focus is on the evil big 6 but the other 14 PL sides do not want to help the EFL. In fact they are less likely to help the EFL because they're not going to get anything in return from it. Matt Slater said in the podcast I linked yesterday that, according to EFL clubs, it's the bottom PL sides that are trying to put huge conditions on any bail out the PL might offer, designed to protect themselves. And again, Steve Parish made his view clear - why should Tesco help a corner shop or deliveroo help a local cafe, those were his words when defending the PL's position regarding helping the EFL.

The only way to help the EFL is to cut funds to the PL. In the same way John Henry and the Glazers don't want to lose any money, neither does Mike Ashley at Newcastle or Steve Parish at Palace. Cutting the PL to 18 teams kind of resolves this issue - instead of splitting PL money between 20 teams you're only splitting it between 18 team, freeing up funds to pass down to the EFL. The downside is your Newcastle's, Burnley's and Palace's of this world face an increased chance of being relegated but lets be honest, I think we can all get behind throwing Burnley and Newcastle out of the League :p

It's not the PL's place to decide on who runs the EFL. There's some incredible irony in PL clubs, upset about the top 6 trying to dictate to them, wanting to dictate who runs the EFL.

Parry's job is to do what's best for the EFL clubs, not Burnley, Newcastle or Liverpool. No doubt your Burnley's and Newcastle's of this world aren't happy right now but I'm yet to see a comment from an EFL club that do not support the fundementals of this deal, at least the parts that effect them anyway.

That said, if this doesn't result in any sort of deal forthcoming for the EFL I can't see how he stays. But then again, if this doesn't result in some sort of deal we might not have so many clubs in the EFL either.

edit: The views of EFL clubs below. Some how it's got lost in all this but the views of 72 EFL sides are as important as 14 (+ the big 6) PL sides.
Like I said something has got to be done to help out the EFL but I don't know what not got a problem with parry but the glazers know nothing about football and don't care about it there only interested in making money and power havnt got a problem with making the prem 18 teams and the league cup could be played still just missing the teams in European competitions

Soldato

PMSL, TBH when they agree to reduce the league to 18 teams and all the other stuff, I would relegate 3 as normal but only promote the champions that season, maybe pay a bit more of a payment for that season as compensation to the teams may have gained promotion

edit I would ignore most things that are written by Delaney, this is the guy that openly said the Saudis were worse than the nazis

Back
Top Bottom