prenuptial agreement

Soldato
Pretty sure they hold minimal to no standing in U.K. Law. I believe they are taken into consideration but it's not binding.

Overseas bank accounts are the way forward.

Caporegime
Are these still valid in a court of law?

Thinking about protecting my future wealth in case anything bad happened

Dont get married, Make sure your name is on the deeds and have separate bank accounts...

Have all untilty bills in your name and get her to pay you and in tun pay them off

If you truly love her..then who cares...:p

Caporegime
Are these still valid in a court of law?

Thinking about protecting my future wealth in case anything bad happened

If you're wealthy enough to require one then I'd speak to a reassuringly expensive solicitor about it.

There was one case where a prenup was upheld by a UK court recently, though they'd definitely need to be reasonable. Don't expect to be able to simply abandon your spouse if he/she's not independently wealthy or able to provide for him/herself and especially not if there are kids involved.

There is another rather obvious factor which isn't anything to do with the legal aspect - you've proposed to your beloved partner, you're all excited about the wedding etc.. and then you're going to present them with some legal documents that basically say I think there is a risk here and I don't want you to get very much if it all goes wrong - that in itself could well kill the mood and cause a few arguments before you've even got married.

Man of Honour
The idea of getting married.

If you start out with the attitude it'll fail, it will. Either go all in, enjoy the ride and if it goes boobs up then so be it, deal with it at the time or just don't get married.

If that's how you start, your best bet is not marrying.

Over 40% of marriages end in divorce in the UK. That's nearly half. It's like flipping a coin and saying "heads I'll be OK, tails I'll lose half of everything". In just about every other legal contract (which is what a marriage is, first and foremost) you'd be mad to take those odds without trying to protect yourself. I'm not suggesting he doesn't marry. That's obviously a choice for him. But I do agree he should do everything possible to protect his future. I've no idea whether pre-nups actually work though.

Caporegime
The idea of getting married.

If you start out with the attitude it'll fail, it will. Either go all in, enjoy the ride and if it goes boobs up then so be it, deal with it at the time or just don't get married.
Sadly, this is idealistic nonsense. There is now a high chance of any marriage failing, and protecting your assets is completely fair. The UK is one if the worst countries to get divorced in, men get royally screwed, so having a plan in case the worst happens is just basic common sense.

Sadly, pre nups in the UK are not consistently upheld. It's a bonkers place when it comes to law, sometimes.

Caporegime
Oh can we not do the standard reddit thing where women are awful money-grabbing bitches out to screw all us men? It's appropriate on that dumpster fire of a forum but it's a bit distasteful when imported wholesale into this one.

Soldato
Sure it is if you take it to an extreme - most things are. I will say this though, having been through a divorce there is no way I would ever consider getting married again.

Caporegime
If that's how you start, your best bet is not marrying.
That's a nice cliche, but things change and nobody can see the future. Seems sensible to me.

My wife and I are equal contributors overall so if it did go belly up, a 50/50 split of everything would be fair. The bit I don't like is that custody seems to default to the mother in divorce situations (I think?).

Caporegime
Sure it is if you take it to an extreme - most things are. I will say this though, having been through a divorce there is no way I would ever consider getting married again.

Having witnessed one of the worlds worst divorces I am also hesitant to get married until I am older and life becomes extremely settled, and even then probably with a woman who is financially independent with a stable career.

When are you and the lucky lady getting married?
Guessing when her VISA is approved? :D

Soldato
What would be the source of this "future wealth" ?

Validity is going to depend hugely on the circumstances at the time. Two examples off the top of my head:

- You get married, are given a lump sum from family on the wedding day, consummate it and then she immediately files for divorce, then sure - money grabbing 'ho deserves nothing.
- You get married, have a few children, build a successful business while she looks after them and divorce happens as she never sees you and wants a career back, then yes - you hand over a big pile to the hugely supportive wife and also pay maintenance for the children until they are old enough to stand on their own.

Even Dowie's "reassuringly expensive" solicitor isn't going to save you if the other side's legal team can argue well when it comes to the settlement. Decide what's more important to you, the person you are going to marry or the money you don't yet have.

Caporegime
What would be the source of this "future wealth" ?

Validity is going to depend hugely on the circumstances at the time. Two examples off the top of my head:

- You get married, are given a lump sum from family on the wedding day, consummate it and then she immediately files for divorce, then sure - money grabbing 'ho deserves nothing.
- You get married, have a few children, build a successful business while she looks after them and divorce happens as she never sees you and wants a career back, then yes - you hand over a big pile to the hugely supportive wife and also pay maintenance for the children until they are old enough to stand on their own.

Even Dowie's "reassuringly expensive" solicitor isn't going to save you if the other side's legal team can argue well when it comes to the settlement. Decide what's more important to you, the person you are going to marry or the money you don't yet have.
Come on use some common sense instead of going all drama llama for bad effect. A pre-nuptual agreement is in 99% of situations to protect existing wealth at the point of marriage. It is only right that a partner gains 50% of what has been accrued during the marriage by both partners, as well as being entitled to a reasonable amount of maintenance pay in the event that you have children. However, pre-existing wealth should be exempt from this when it comes to a divorce.

Thankfully, I live in a country that enforces that exact sensible rule as default.

Back
Top Bottom