Prescription VR lenses - worth buying?

Soldato
I've been playing more VR again at the moment but I find my glasses while not impossible an irritation, mainly for pushing onto my eyes or steaming up.

I've been looking at online VR prescription lenses for a Rift S.

Anybody used them? are they worth the outlay of around £60 for the ones i've looked at.

Associate
Yes I have them for valve index - well worth the purchase imo.

I found VR with specs on too uncomfortable and was a pain having to pit contact lenses in just for vr.

Only down side for me is everything is a blur when I take the headset off.:p

I went with the blue tint also which is supposed to protect your eyes but more expensive. Not sure if this is old wives tale or not.

Soldato
OP
Yes I have them for valve index - well worth the purchase imo.

I found VR with specs on too uncomfortable and was a pain having to pit contact lenses in just for vr.

Only down side for me is everything is a blur when I take the headset off.:p

I went with the blue tint also which is supposed to protect your eyes but more expensive. Not sure if this is old wives tale or not.

Which supplier did you go with VR Optician or WidmoVR seem to be the 2 most talked about.

Associate
I went with vr optician in the end can't remember why. One of the lenses is not a great fit but nothing a bit of sellotape could not sort out

Associate
I've had a good experience with my Vive wearing glasses, seems like I am the lucky one! Will make a mental note of this in case I get another headset and it doesn't work as well :)

Soldato
I've been playing more VR again at the moment but I find my glasses while not impossible an irritation, mainly for pushing onto my eyes or steaming up.

I've been looking at online VR prescription lenses for a Rift S.

Anybody used them? are they worth the outlay of around £60 for the ones i've looked at.

I went for them and glad I did because they diagnosed high eyeball pressure and caught early stage glaucoma ! I had them for Oculus CV1 and so much better than glasses. Only hassle then is having to take them off or other folk to use your headset

My only gripe is now having sold my CV1 and possibly leaning towards the valve index down the line ( or better yet some new iteration ) they are not adaptable between different headsets so will have to outlay again when getting new VR setup.

Soldato
My only gripe is now having sold my CV1 and possibly leaning towards the valve index down the line ( or better yet some new iteration ) they are not adaptable between different headsets so will have to outlay again when getting new VR setup.

That's the annoying issue - each time I get a new headset I have to shell out £60 for new lenses. Worth it for the convenience though.

Associate
£60 seems like a bargain. My regular glasses are varifocals and while I don't use vr yet, I do use a curved monitor that means the whole screen is the same distance from my eyes/glasses so is perfectly in focus. My glasses are a lot more than £60 and it isn't all frame cost?

Soldato
There was a company selling glasses that were on a elastic strap and were like swimmers specs,i`ll see if i can find it again

Got it it was vr lens lab
I suppose you can use these lens with a different headset so long as your presciption does not change too much

Last edited:
Soldato
£60 seems like a bargain. My regular glasses are varifocals and while I don't use vr yet, I do use a curved monitor that means the whole screen is the same distance from my eyes/glasses so is perfectly in focus. My glasses are a lot more than £60 and it isn't all frame cost?

You don't need varifocals for VR. The focal length is set at between 1.5 and 2 metres depending on the headset, so you only need a distance prescription which is much cheaper.

One of the cool things about VR is due to that fixed focal distance I can read things close up that I can't read in real life without varifocals or separate reading glasses.

Associate
You don't need varifocals for VR. The focal length is set at between 1.5 and 2 metres depending on the headset, so you only need a distance prescription which is much cheaper.

One of the cool things about VR is due to that fixed focal distance I can read things close up that I can't read in real life without varifocals or separate reading glasses.

Thanks for confirming what I was guessing.

I was trying to say that with a large flatscreen monitor I have to move my head to focus, just as I do when driving, but with a curved monitor I don't and with VR I thought I wouldn't.

Soldato
OP
Got my yearly eye test booked for the weekend so will order some after that to make sure its my latest perscription, guess they will measure my IPD as well so I can check setting as well.

Thanks for the input, no-one else uses my headset really so popping them out every once in a while wont be an issue.

Associate
I got the VRoptician ones
They do make it more convenient, but a couple of things worth considering
1) It's a dead investment if you change headsets.
2) It's only practical if you are the only one that uses the headset.

Back
Top Bottom