Prescription VR lenses - worth buying?

Associate
I got the VRoptician ones
They do make it more convenient, but a couple of things worth considering
1) It's a dead investment if you change headsets.
2) It's only practical if you are the only one that uses the headset.

I was tempted to do this for my Vive as it's annoying wearing glasses with it on. But one of my hold backs was how easy was it to changes the lenses in and out as I'm not the only person that uses the Vive.

Associate
I was tempted to do this for my Vive as it's annoying wearing glasses with it on. But one of my hold backs was how easy was it to changes the lenses in and out as I'm not the only person that uses the Vive.

To be fair the quest ones I have are very quick to insert/remove, it's just that you just can't hand your headset to someone else and give them a go, or if you had kids, you don't want them messing up you prescription lenses with their fingers as they take them out and possibly leave them somewhere to get damaged.

You need to be a little careful so that they don't get scratched when they are out, and of course now that the normally sealed side is exposed, that'll get dust etc too, plus the original quest lens themselves are now exposed. So once the person with normal sight is finished you need to clean the quest lenses and both sides of the prescription lenses to get you back to clearview again.

Soldato
OP
I got the VRoptician ones
They do make it more convenient, but a couple of things worth considering
1) It's a dead investment if you change headsets.
2) It's only practical if you are the only one that uses the headset.

Im the only person who uses it, and i have no plans to switch headset for at least a couple of years.

Lets be honest VR is early adopter hell for the next best thing always coming out, I'm happy to stick where i am until things level out.

Im gonna treat it like prescription sunglasses but much cheaper.

Associate
I purchased a valve index back when they restocked in march and as soon as I got it delivered later that month (thankfully I got into the first wave) I instantly bought some lenses from vr optician. It just wasn't comfortable for me for long sessions, not to mention that my current glasses didn't even fit so I had to use my old glasses with older prescription. The pressure on the sides of my head would start to cause pain after around 1 hour. Once the prescription lenses arrived, it was a life changer.

1. I was able to adjust the lenses as close to my face as it would go so max FOV.
2. No more pain from clamping the glasses frame.
3. I now have a built in protector for the delicate lenses. I would much rather replace some £90 lenses than a whole £500 headset .

I went for the Zeiss blueprotect coating. I'm not sure what the difference is as I have not got an uncoated set to compare but it's nice to know that my eyes are at least a little more protected I guess.

All in all, yes. 100% worth it. I will never go another day without lenses for my headset.

Soldato
Going to go get my eyes checked next week as i have had blurry vision past about 6ft for a few years, hoping if i get some prescription lenses for my Rift S i won't struggle to focus on things in VR so much anymore, right now i find thing's can get quite blurry.

Associate
Going to go get my eyes checked next week as i have had blurry vision past about 6ft for a few years, hoping if i get some prescription lenses for my Rift S i won't struggle to focus on things in VR so much anymore, right now i find thing's can get quite blurry.
Lol eyesight test sounds long overdue

Permabanned
Recently got Widmo lenses for Quest 2 and they are excellent, much better than using glasses which while fit were not ideal.

I got a new eye test before ordering just to make sure my prescription was correct, it had changed a tiny bit in one eye.

Associate
Nice bonus about have the prescription lenses is that you can pop them out and give them a really good cleaning, holding them up to the light to make sure every smudge and speck is gone.

Soldato
Nice bonus about have the prescription lenses is that you can pop them out and give them a really good cleaning, holding them up to the light to make sure every smudge and speck is gone.

It also means you don't have to clean the headset lenses which are much more prone to damage.

Soldato
Recently got Widmo lenses for Quest 2 and they are excellent, much better than using glasses which while fit were not ideal.

I got a new eye test before ordering just to make sure my prescription was correct, it had changed a tiny bit in one eye.

Was meant to ask you this but forget. A friend of mine is thinking of buying the Quest 2 and prescription lenses, but he both long sighted and short sighted. Needs glasses for using a computer, reading etc and another set of glasses for driving and looking at things in the distance.

When you ordering lenses which prescription should you use? The reading glasses one or the driving glasses one?

Soldato
Was meant to ask you this but forget. A friend of mine is thinking of buying the Quest 2 and prescription lenses, but he both long sighted and short sighted. Needs glasses for using a computer, reading etc and another set of glasses for driving and looking at things in the distance.

When you ordering lenses which prescription should you use? The reading glasses one or the driving glasses one?
He'd use the prescription he uses for far distance.

Associate
I dont think they do varifocal lenses - probably best to test each set of glasses in the headset to find out which one is best. I would imagine its the driving glasses prescription.

Permabanned

Not totally sure but I think the driving/distance one. Personally I am short sighted.

Suggestion above of trying both sets of glasses out sounds good.

Back
Top Bottom