• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Presler, when?

Caporegime
well there is 2x2mb cache on there instead of 2x1mb, BUT unlike what usually happens, new process/chip comes with a speed bump. its not like they got a 200Mhz boost and overclock 200Mhz extra so a 400Mhz boost over the old dual cores. press seem to be mad over the fact that review cores would overclock past 4Ghz on air. tbh i don't know for sure the older dual cores did hit 4Ghz pretty often, but i think they did or weren't far off at all. they don't seem hugely special, but if they are similar prices its a case of why pay about same for less cache, its just nothing spectacular as far as i'm concerned :(

also lack of speedstep really makes no difference in the slightest to 99% of people using them, the odd shuttle user or something might find cooling an issue, but most won't. i find the number of people that use cool and quiet amazing, i have a heavily overclocked rig that i can barely hear when fully loaded, why people run cool and quiet(or any other software) for worse performance rather than buying a case for function over style and getting a huge cooler with silent fan surprises me.

Associate
it's more like a re-merchandising of the same thing. No benefit to enthusiasts. But I suppose if you were ready to upgrade from a 286 then it's be better to have the newer one.

Associate
OP
just got one and testing it atm... doesn't look too bad :D

920D Malay SL94S

on water at 4.2Ghz stable, 1.4vcore at full load, core temp at full load ~50oC with room temp 27oC.

not bad for 185£ :D

Associate
OP
yeah got some basic stuff, x3800 clocked at 2.7Ghz (watercooled)

X2 at 2.7Ghz (on water)
sisoft
cpu arithmetic ~24K
Multimedia ~51K
Memory ~6K

memtest86 memory bandwidth (unbuffered) ~3.3K

PC Wizzard 2006 ram benchmark,
Write ~3K
Read ~4.8K

Presler at 4.2ghz (on water)
cpu arithmetic ~22K
Multimedia ~46.5K
Memory ~7.5K

memtest86 memory bandwidth (unbuffered) ~4.6K

PC Wizzard 2006 ram benchmark,
Write ~3.2K
Read ~7.5K

that's all i've got for now i'm afraid...
it seems that presler dominates in memory bandwidth
It also does 30secs SuperPI, i think a X2 at 2.7ghz does the same.

I'll post results if anything else comes up :)

Last edited:
Associate
thanks for that Byron :) seems to be very little between them and im wondering how many x2`s get to 2.7 mine hits a wall at 2.6 was thinking of getting an intel chip for a change

Associate
OP
mine runs corsair 5400UL CL4 3-2-4 write 2, not bad for 490Mhz... and i'm sure it can do more as mobo is limiting meh or change bios :(
New Mushkin seems to be doing pretty well too... at these speeds u can't feel the difference anyway in between latency CL3 and CL4.

Bet it worth pumpman, i can feel the torque of this chip all the way under its heatspreader
chatsmiliescom8921zb.png

Back
Top Bottom