1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prices now falling below $70

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by teaboy5, 8 May 2006.

1. teaboy5

Soldato

Oil prices have now started to fall below $70 which seems to be a good sign. Reasons being an increase in fuel stocks in the states and tensions over iran dying a little. Good job as i am looking at buying a v6 lol

2. Tommy B

Sgarrista

As far as I'm concerned oil prices should be kept high, especially in America.

Otherwise when they do surge all the Americans are screwed.

3. Slam62

Sgarrista

oil prices need to rise to ensure a smooth transition to new cleaner forms of energy and less dependence on the middle east.

The higher the better

4. teaboy5

Soldato

The higher the better lol. You wont be saying that when you have no job now will you.

5. Slam62

Sgarrista

look i've been in a situation where i've had no job ... in the late eighties under the mad tories, i did what i had to and got another one (as bonkers Norman Tebbit said, i got on my bike), you lot want everything served up on a nice plate... you have got it so easy at the moment.

Now is the time to sort things out and get rid of this addiction to oil.

6. Tommy B

Sgarrista

Say oil was $50, but the Gov't added $50 tax.
    When the oil went up to $90, the Gov't would only add $10 tax.

This allows a smooth transition if oil prices were to rise.

Actually, wait a sec... Brown is in charge of this. Oh great, forget about it. Once he's popped, he won't stop.

7. teaboy5

Soldato

Yes thats all well and good. But theres the point, people in this day are different to your day. They wont just get up and do any job to try and get by thats the point. To-days age is just bone lazy.

8. Slam62

Sgarrista

what do oil companies do with their profits

9. teaboy5

Soldato

Well some is used to try and find new fields. But like any other company they pay shareholders and try and make a profit. And why should they not.

10. Slam62

Sgarrista

because its a cartel and they should be taxed more then tories wouldnt whinge about income tax so much.

11. teaboy5

Soldato

Why tax them more are you mad. If i ran one i would say to myself. Well lets stop spending money find more oil, because of we do and start to pump it we going to be hit with taxes. Yeah great idea.

12. madmaxx

Hitman

Using corporation tax or whatever to increase tax on profits, and reduce the tax we pay...interesting concept. So when the shareholders divi / profit per share / troce / whatever measure of corporate wealth generation you care to use starts to go down, whats going to happen?
    : looks on the not too distant horizon for a nice price hike....

13. Etaqua

Gangster

Prices aren't high in America compared to here! Are you mad?

On CNN last night, I read that they were concerned that prices were so "expensive" when prices were $3/GALLON. How much do we pay? £0.96 or so a litre. That's $1.78/litre, $7/gallon. Stop whinging, tbh. :p

14. DRZ

Soldato

Q: Do you know what happens when you tax a company so hard it stops making a profit?

A: They leave, taking ALL of their taxes with them. What is the point in staying and not making a profit when leaving will leave them just as well off?

Do you know what will happen to the UK when that happens? When the taxes go, government spending decreases or the tax burden increases (or some combination of the two). This is clearly not a good thing. Without oil, you are going to struggle to get your shopping, heat your home or generally do anything at all, so perhaps taxing the knackers off the oil companies isnt such a good plan after all?

It strikes me that you are coming out with these statements without any depth of thought whatsoever, unless somehow you think that these huge "cartels" will just accept a £10bn increase in thier tax burden just like that?

15. Hybrids

Hitman

I'm not lazy? Where you getting you information from? Explain please

Hybrids

16. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

Buy cheese.

Wait, WTF? I thought this was GD.

17. VIRII

PermaBanned

I am not convinced that blaming the tories for anything and everything in each and every post makes you seem totally sane or rational or adds any value to your posts. I would argue that it makes you appear obsessed and irrational and leaves your posts as meaningless hatred.

18. Slam62

Sgarrista

Well most voters these days werent born when Maggie took power and the vast wastelands of destruction and hardship she created were truly awful. As a past victim of this evil and having witnessed many others suffering even more than i did, i feal it is my duty to try and inform people of what they might expect.....

Particularly as tories such as Ken Clarke have a tendency to continually bleat away with a load of utter lies and nonsence ... i just dont wont the young people of today to learn the hard way like i did... although i do also blame the labour party at the time for being unelectable and hence providing no competition to the old cow.... shame she was eventually completely shafted in a typically underhand way by her own power at all costs party who stabbed her in the back while she was in france at a euro summit... i would trust them as far as i could wee...

sorry back to topic i really would like oil to go up a lot in price because we would be forced to use other technologies which 'hopefully' would be a lot better for the environment and produce more stability in the world....

19. robmiller

Capodecina

Whatever the bloody hell they like, and so they should.

We shouldn't change the rules for oil companies just because we have an insatiable thirst for oil.

20. Slam62

Sgarrista

because its a cartel and they make rather a lot of cash :p

but it was a reasonably serious question which no one has answered