1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

printer problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Willbo, 6 May 2006.

1. Willbo

Wise Guy

hey again everyone. last couple of times ive tried printing with my r300 on cd's the colours have come out more blue than anything.

the image im trying to print is a yellowy/orange shade, yet it comes out a mixture of blues.
    the epson monitor says all my cartridges are more than half full and ive even put the cartridges in recently without using them much so i know theyre not empty. any ideas to what is causing this? is my printer on its way out or has a setting been changed i dont know about.....

2. ajm

Wise Guy

Try taking out the cartridges and put them back in again this sometimes does the trick,

3. McNutter

Hitman

Do a nozzle check (it's like a test print). That will tell you if all the nozzles for each colour firing correctly. Also use ICM in the colour management.

4. Tomsk

Soldato

Key words highlighted.
    The print heads are probably blocked. All the Epsons I've had experience with have suffered from blocked heads, especially if they're not used frequently.

Do as McNutter suggested, then dump the Epson and buy a Canon (or wait until HP bring out a printer that prints on CDs)

5. Willbo

Wise Guy

what kind of prices are the cartridges for canon printers though? i've only stuck with epson because of getting replica cartridges for couple of quid. :D if i was to change, is there a decent canon you could recommended which is either all in one including cd printing, or a standard printer with cd printing?

6. okimanoob

Gangster

I usually find that running Head Cleaning about 6-8 times in a row followed by Nozzle Head check corrects this on my R300.
    ;)

7. McNutter

Hitman

Forget about replica carts, go the whole hog and get a Continuous Ink System. You'll save a fortune if you use your printer heavily. They cost around £45 delivered with 100ml (10x carts worth) of ink in each colour. After that runs out, just buy bottles of ink which are cheap as chips. Here's mine:

[​IMG]

8. ajm

Wise Guy

You would have no ink left in those cartridges as they use ink each time it is done (Ink charging).

9. Willbo

Wise Guy

well i've tried nozzle checks, cleaning....everything....and the nozzle check pattern has since got more breaks and gaps in. so i dont know what is wrong.

turned on icm and tried other settings and the only ink printing is like a blue.

but since reinstalling that cartridges this morning, the epson monitor is now telling me (12 hours later) that the yellow and magenta ink is low. would this be the cause?

10. McNutter

Hitman

Instead of head cleaning try giving the printer a thorough workout. Save a picture from the net, open it with Photoshop, blow it up so it covers a full A4 page and print it. If that doesn't clear the heads nowt will and that uses less ink than head cleaning.

Also you might find this website and this utility helpful.

11. pcknight

PermaBanned

This happened to me when i used to have an Epson. In the end i had to buy a new Printer. Got a superb Canon ip4200 now!

12. Willbo

Wise Guy

yea i've tried printing off the image for the cd on a full page sheet of a4 instead and it still came out all blue. it might just be that the yellow ink is low, its cheap enough. so will try ordering one i think and find out from there. not sure which printer to go for next though as the epson all in one with cd printing is what id love but just to expensive.

13. Energize

Caporegime

How do they work though when the cartridges use a chip on them?

14. McNutter

Hitman

The chips in the carts automatically reset themselves to 95% full when they get down to 5% so the printer always thinks there is plenty of ink.