Printing a Flyer

Soldato
Hi guys,

I've created a flyer for a part time pc repair company im starting.

I created it in Photoshop, and then when i printed it there was still empty space around the flyer (I would like it to fill the hole page)

The flyer is A4 size, and ive tried using fit to page, but still the unprinted areas?

Associate
I doubt it will tbh, that's the reason people use external printing companies: they can cut to compensate for the size. The only real alternative is to get an external printer's to get the flyers cut and finished.

why aren't you using a company like vistaprint? would be far far cheaper then diy. sign up to them and tick the box about recieving promotions, you'll uickly get emails everyday giving you free flyers, just have to pay vat and postage.

Soldato
OP
Yeah my cards and flyers will both be done at vista print. But i wanted to see the flyer on paper first (Seeing in photoshop is one thing)

Just didn't understand why it wouldn't fit the page, but aslong as it's to do with the printer and not my flyer then all is good :)

Cheers guys

Soldato
If you're doing artwork for print, you need to allow 3mm bleed all around the job. That way, when the job is cut to size on a mechanical guillotene (no commercial presses print directly onto A-sizes) it allows for minor variations in sheet position throughout the ream.

Create your artwork at 216 x 303mm for A4 + bleed, just treat the bleed as an extended 3mm margin area.

I've used the following companies without any problems:

www.aubergineprint.co.uk
www.priniting.com
www.vistaprint.co.uk

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Pefect. So if i take my A4 sized flyer and copy/paste it on a new A4 sized file with the extra 3mm around it for the bleed i should be good to go?

Associate
Nope, it makes no difference. Your artwork won't cover the entire page unless your printer can print borderless. Either way it's probably cheaper to use a professional printer than your own.

Soldato
and remember , the bleed is an area that gets cut off, so if you have text near to the edge of your A4 and then just increase its size, the text will still be near the edge and get cut

the 3mm bleed should just be extension of the background of your image.

assuming your sending it to a printer (which i recommend).. they will do a nicer job of printing it than you will at home

edit:

also, depending on what you are going to do with them, i would say A4 is too big for a flyer....

Last edited:
Soldato
Pefect. So if i take my A4 sized flyer and copy/paste it on a new A4 sized file with the extra 3mm around it for the bleed i should be good to go?

Provided you print it on a bigger bit of paper, and then guillotine, it, yes.

Either outsource the printing to a printers, or make your flyer smaller than A4, unless your printer can handle paper bigger than A4

Associate
It will probably be cheaper to do it externally, I just got 5000 a5 flyers printed for 20 quid on yellow paper for my company. I use A4 for posters.

Soldato
OP
Provided you print it on a bigger bit of paper, and then guillotine, it, yes.

Either outsource the printing to a printers, or make your flyer smaller than A4, unless your printer can handle paper bigger than A4

Yeah i will be, what i ment was will doing it that way make my flyer be A4 sized from the company with me adding the bleed as empty space, cheers.

Back
Top Bottom