1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing a Flyer

Discussion in 'HTML, Graphics & Programming' started by Neodite, 14 Mar 2010.

1. Neodite

Mobster

Hi guys,

I've created a flyer for a part time pc repair company im starting.

I created it in Photoshop, and then when i printed it there was still empty space around the flyer (I would like it to fill the hole page)

The flyer is A4 size, and ive tried using fit to page, but still the unprinted areas?

2. Daegan

Wise Guy

Will your printer actually print A4 edge to edge?

3. Neodite

Mobster

Im not sure, im using my works computer to see what it looks like.

It's a Dell 948

4. bigsharn

Hitman

I doubt it will tbh, that's the reason people use external printing companies: they can cut to compensate for the size. The only real alternative is to get an external printer's to get the flyers cut and finished.

5. Apex

Capodecina

why aren't you using a company like vistaprint? would be far far cheaper then diy. sign up to them and tick the box about recieving promotions, you'll uickly get emails everyday giving you free flyers, just have to pay vat and postage.

6. That Guy

Gangster

I have an old Epson R200 which does borderless printing.

If you printer does not support it I would suggest: http://print24.com/uk/

7. reflux

Capodecina

Yeah, you need a borderless printer or to get it done professionally.

8. Neodite

Mobster

Yeah my cards and flyers will both be done at vista print. But i wanted to see the flyer on paper first (Seeing in photoshop is one thing)

Just didn't understand why it wouldn't fit the page, but aslong as it's to do with the printer and not my flyer then all is good :)

Cheers guys

9. UncleBob

Mobster

If you're doing artwork for print, you need to allow 3mm bleed all around the job. That way, when the job is cut to size on a mechanical guillotene (no commercial presses print directly onto A-sizes) it allows for minor variations in sheet position throughout the ream.

Create your artwork at 216 x 303mm for A4 + bleed, just treat the bleed as an extended 3mm margin area.

I've used the following companies without any problems:

www.aubergineprint.co.uk
    www.priniting.com
    www.vistaprint.co.uk

Last edited: 14 Mar 2010
  10. whitecrook

Sgarrista

Yes. You need to print it on a paper bigger than the final size, with crop marks, and then cut it down.

11. Neodite

Mobster

Pefect. So if i take my A4 sized flyer and copy/paste it on a new A4 sized file with the extra 3mm around it for the bleed i should be good to go?

12. Samione

Wise Guy

Nope, it makes no difference. Your artwork won't cover the entire page unless your printer can print borderless. Either way it's probably cheaper to use a professional printer than your own.

13. Paul11

Capodecina

and remember , the bleed is an area that gets cut off, so if you have text near to the edge of your A4 and then just increase its size, the text will still be near the edge and get cut

the 3mm bleed should just be extension of the background of your image.

assuming your sending it to a printer (which i recommend).. they will do a nicer job of printing it than you will at home

edit:

also, depending on what you are going to do with them, i would say A4 is too big for a flyer....

Last edited: 15 Mar 2010
  14. whitecrook

Sgarrista

Provided you print it on a bigger bit of paper, and then guillotine, it, yes.

Either outsource the printing to a printers, or make your flyer smaller than A4, unless your printer can handle paper bigger than A4

15. dl763

Gangster

It will probably be cheaper to do it externally, I just got 5000 a5 flyers printed for 20 quid on yellow paper for my company. I use A4 for posters.

16. Neodite

Mobster

Yeah i will be, what i ment was will doing it that way make my flyer be A4 sized from the company with me adding the bleed as empty space, cheers.

17. Craig R

Wise Guy

An A4 flyer?! Crazy talk.