Pro Cycling Discussion 2020

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well until the next one at least :) I guess it stems from youngsters who manage to stay the sport and be very successful over the rest over a long period of time. But who knows its a brutal on the body at this level.

Things I have also learnt over this tour is Wiggins is a crap presenter and generally gets on my wick :)

Soldato
OP
Things I have also learnt over this tour is Wiggins is a crap presenter and generally gets on my wick :)
He's good for some anecdotes and 'inside the peloton' type stuff but I don't really rate him as a presenter. Like you - I found he gets annoying very quickly!

I was pleasantly surprised on how good the ITV coverage was and the presenting has been great, Ned Boulting has been great this year and David Millar is always fantastic. They work well together. Not sure I'm a huge fan of Chris Boardman, but he's not as annoying as Sean Kelly and some quite good out-segments with him discussing other things 'cycling' which have been great I guess rather than just complete coverage and nothing else. Some 'dumbed down' bits about modern bike tech for the masses. Pete Kennaugh has been good, Gary Imlach is pretty much second to non for a highlight show. The only 1 of them I don't overly like is Mat Rendell (older guy, he's a bit dithery) but mostly as he comes across as more of a journalist and slimey at times, than a commentator (which he is). Still some good bits and off-hand comments/questions kinda prove why he's there.

Then because ITV with their catchup app had full coverage as well as the Highlights meant I could dip in and out of some of the best stages when I had the time to watch more than an hour. So I didn't feel the need to go for the GCN sub. Shame the ITV team don't do the whole Pro calendar really, as it'll only be a matter of time until Sean Kelly sends me bonkers in the Classics. I give it maybe 45 minutes of the first race.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I do not mind Boardman he has mellowed a little in recent years, but Sean Kelly is muted after 10mins of him wittering on about something that never happens.

Soldato

I went to see his theatre tour and it was a fun evening. But then you hear him being interviewed and he tells the same stories in the same way so I guess the tour was very rehearsed.

Soldato
Cor, big old crash for Dygert in the womens time trial today. over the barrier and down a bank at who knows how fast. Meant I won some money on Van Der Breggen though! :p

Soldato
Rumour to be a tubeless front wheel tyre/wheel fail or a complete freak resonance issue caused by a small bump which couldn’t be controlled.

Soldato
What do people think about these crashes - a sign of the pressure of limited racing and the need to push at every chance or just how racing is and it seems worse as the season is compressed so the opportunities to crash are compressed as well?

Soldato
In this case. Just how it is.

Looks like equipment failure or rider taking unnecessary risks/misjudgement in this case.

The course will have been ridden and recon done highlighting any particular bad corners.

She will have been getting time checks from the car and known she was ahead by a fairly substantial amount at that point.

Soldato
What do people think about these crashes - a sign of the pressure of limited racing and the need to push at every chance or just how racing is and it seems worse as the season is compressed so the opportunities to crash are compressed as well?

This is something that ned Boulting and David millar brought up on their podcast a few weeks back, think post Dylan g and remco but pre tour and they concluded it was the condensed season meaning it seemed like thre had been the same amount of crashes but just in much less time.

Listening to the luke rowe/geraint Thomas podcast earlier. There were 88 people who fell on stage 1 of tdf in nice. Due to the fairy liquid vehicle!

Soldato
This is something that ned Boulting and David millar brought up on their podcast a few weeks back, think post Dylan g and remco but pre tour and they concluded it was the condensed season meaning it seemed like thre had been the same amount of crashes but just in much less time.

Listening to the luke rowe/geraint Thomas podcast earlier. There were 88 people who fell on stage 1 of tdf in nice. Due to the fairy liquid vehicle!

Have you listened to the most recent Never Strays Far podcost (Ned & David)? Ned crashed his Brompton after the last stage of the TdF and is in hospital waiting on surgery :eek:

Soldato
Have you listened to the most recent Never Strays Far podcost (Ned & David)? Ned crashed his Brompton after the last stage of the TdF and is in hospital waiting on surgery :eek:
Ah no not yet, will listen tomorrow. Speedy recovery before the vuelta so he's back in the commsbox hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom