Pro Cycling Discussion 2020

Soldato
I'm not surprised they aren't going after the Dauphine but it is very odd to see that team going with one British guy.
Along with the kit and sponsor change for that stupid big car I honestly just cannot feel the same about that team for this tour. They really have lost all form of identity to what we are used to I feel.

Jumbo have simply stepped up to replace them as the cyborg super team. I place myself firmly in camp Pinot for the tour. The thought of a Frenchman in yellow, attacking everything, pulling faces and thrashing his bike about out the saddle up the alps just fills me with joy. We need that this year.

Soldato
I'm not surprised they aren't going after the Dauphine but it is very odd to see that team going with one British guy.
Along with the kit and sponsor change for that stupid big car I honestly just cannot feel the same about that team for this tour. They really have lost all form of identity to what we are used to I feel.

Jumbo have simply stepped up to replace them as the cyborg super team. I place myself firmly in camp Pinot for the tour. The thought of a Frenchman in yellow, attacking everything, pulling faces and thrashing his bike about out the saddle up the alps just fills me with joy. We need that this year.

I think I'm with you for Pinot. Last stage of the Dauphine he was throwing out some epic gurning and was all over the bike :D

Soldato

Yeah real shame, still got a strong British contingent but just not the top tier for le tour any longer. A shame, hopefully it'll be a bit more open but if roglic is fit then can't see much beyond him. But that third week is going to be bloody interesting.

Seen Simon Yates has signed for another few years, be interesting to see if Adam stays or goes. Think it may be good for both of them to split apart, although they don't race too often together they seem to have that eternal link.

Soldato
Good last day on wallonie. Demare looking on form, not sure if he going to tdf but will be ashame to some extent if he is and pinot loses support because of him.

Soldato
OP
If I wanted to 'dip my toe in' so to speak, is there a YouTube channel that has the highlights of all the big races?
ITV4 catch-up app has stuff but it's only there a short time. A week or so.

'The Tour Revisited' from Thomas' win in 2015 just finished, but unsure if another one will follow? Probably not?

The highlights of the dauphine are on there. Can't think of the other guys name commenting but with David Milliar (ex amazing British rider) they're a great combo and some great insights from David too which can really help you to understand what's going on and why certain things are happening. Even great insights when you do and he's got a good eye for catching things happening on the edge of camera or will say he spots things you don't see on screen. Although he does get riders names wrong sometimes!

Ag2R signed Jungels now.
Next year they will have GvA, Naesen and Jungels. Total focus shift from GC as per previous years as Bardet moves on.
With Naesen x2 and they also took on Harry Tanfield as a TT'er but also aiming him at the classics. Will be a good team to watch I think but I am a fan of Naesen & Jungels.

No froome or Thomas at le tour. Didn't think both would ever be dropped but obviously the numbers aren't there for either. Still looks a strong lineup for ineos looking at the form of the guys who have been picked.
Have to agree. I like Sivakov and Bernal but neither of them have much 'character' for me yet, not like G and Froome.

I can see why Froome was dropped, to be fair he's done well considering what he came back from and the huge reduction in racing as we all know the more he races the better he seems to get. But quite gutted about G, not just because he's a Welshman, but he was looking ok in the Dauphine, riding better than Froome much of the time and I think the two youngsters would benefit from a bit of an experienced guy up there with them. Kwait is there and can perform that role, particularly how well he is riding, but still feel like he's one of the troops rather than a genuine road captain. I know Rowe normally is captain, but he's never there in the high mountains... Maybe Castroviejo? He's a phenominal rider, but did seem to be struggling a little for form like Froome.

Have to agree. I quite like Ineos as a team, but once you take Froome & G out, giving Bernal and Sivakov leadership I dunno, I do feel like they miss something. Especially if they're attempting the usual Ineos/Sky tactics...

JV are too strong for that this year and the Dauphine was a good example of their own tactic used against them by a stronger team with better tactics. Really a taste of their own medicine. I wonder how long until the French are boo'ing JV from the roadside on the TDF... Probably won't as they don't have any British riders. Talk about bearing a grudge. And to think we saved them from speaking German. :rolleyes:

Pinot has got something to prove, he's great to watch but always seems to come unstuck on a 3 week GT. He has the same luck as Froome/G, ie rubbish. Either crashes or has a bad day or 3 when it really matters. Alaphilippe is still my favourite french rider by far, I think he has to be the best thing to happen in French cycling the last couple of years? Would be really good to see him able to compete in the high mountains and into that 3rd week as he does seem to be making the change from a fantastic 1 day into more of a multi-stage GT contender well. Bardet had so much promise (still does) but never quite on that same levels as most of the GT winners when getting into that 3rd week. I do like him though, comes across as a very genuine and modest guy.

One to watch out for could be Richie Porte, with Ellisonde now there he has got a very solid team around him. Would be fantastic to see, but equally don't think they can complete with JV.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another vote for my heart wanting Pinot to win; the route is chaotic which could play into his natural attacking tendencies but he also doesn’t have the team to keep him safe through the chaos so it could play both ways. There something incredibly romantic about a Frenchman winning the Tour after / during covid.

Ineos have jumped the shark for me. It’s kinda silly how we support because they are British but would hate on a Spanish team with the same boring tactics and unexplained medical mistakes. But it’s clearly a vanity project now for Jim Ratcliffe - how can you advertise a thirsty and probably dangerous to cyclists 4x4 car (that won’t release until 2022) in a bike race with the ongoing current climate crisis

Soldato
Good old UCI commies ruining Der Plus' start in the TT with their stupid measuring of the bikes which meant he was off late, and awful awful drafting in the womens event earlier today for the first and second placed riders. Not seen anything about a decision to punish either but both were guilty.

Soldato
Dowsett running some fancy kit on that bike, looks like carbon spoked (tri maybe) disc braked front canyon job not Factor of his supplying sponsor...huge front chain ring and rear jockey wheels . And some wierd spaceship helmet

Soldato
Dowsett running some fancy kit on that bike, looks like carbon spoked (tri maybe) disc braked front canyon job not Factor of his supplying sponsor...huge front chain ring and rear jockey wheels . And some wierd spaceship helmet

Very odd to see a rider be allowed to do that. Perhaps as it was Euros and not in his teams kit is why it was OK.
He has been training on the Factor as well.

Soldato
POC Tempor lid is the dead giveaway Dan Bingham is working with him then.
And the front end is that new Anemoi system from Wattshop as well.
Not seen picture of him yet with wheels/rest of bike. But I do know there is a fancy dancy new Revolver tri spoke kicking around. Kyle Gordon is running one as an upgrade for the nats (he's on Huub track team with Dan, so adds up).

Soldato
Think it happens every now and then Rohan did it last year in the worlds, although I can't remember if he had been released from his contract by then. I've tried to find a picture, but the greek girl out first had the most amazingly colourful bike. Didn't matter she was dead slow.

Saw Pidcock came 4th in the U23 TT and is in the elite road race tomorrow, which could be interesting if they are getting the same weather as down here.

In actual Pro news I see Sagan is now starting Le Tour. I thought he was all in for the Giro but guessing the injuries to BORA have played a part in team selection.

Soldato
Today is the day! :D Whetting my appetite with La Course, although I'm racing this afternoon so will have to avoid the result until I'm back tonight.

Soldato
And la course didn't disappoint. Good close finish, course wasn't amazing with so much flat at the end but was a good split early to leave the strongest there.

Soldato
No chat over today’s stage? Absolute madness!

I know they had technical issues and it is a tough job to talk solo for hours on end but someone please get Carlton Kirby an HD screen to watch on, he misses so many details and hence gets all sorts of things wrong.

Soldato
Sorry was out until 11.30 racing then beering! Interesting first stage and looked absolutely deadly in places with that rain, good final sprint in the end for Kristoff, just muscled his way better than everyone else in reality. That finish didn't look too clever for day one though being so narrow and that crash was so so close to being outside 3k. Hope everyone that went down today slid rather than landed and gets back on for stage 2 with no lasting effects.

Astana.....

PS as above Hence why I'll always watch Itv4 where possible, cannot stand ck.

Soldato
Are the French a bit well thick, well the cyclists anyway. None of them see to be able to wear a mask and keep it on their face in any way shape or form...

Another interesting stage, the way that sprint played out was just awesome, and a good point by kennaufh in the Itv4 programme in that jumbo and ineos are looking so inwardly at each other it could blow everything apart with a bit of misfortune. Dumoulin got lucky with his fall but looked strong joining back on.

Soldato
I think Nizolo could legit be strongest right now. But his leadout is EBH and that is literally it.... Yesterday EBH deposited him at like 480m to go so he was sprinting for about 2 hours before everyone opened theirs :p

Back
Top Bottom