Pro Cycling Discussion 2020

Soldato
HAHA, funny how much he has come on in the last year, when he got picked over Cav last year and now he is looking like he deserves to actually be in that top tier of sprinters. Today should be interesting, although no doubt a bit of a phoney war that will disappoint us all.

Soldato
Been fascinating so far. Think it's just who can do the least whilst showing strength by jumbo and ineos to get through to thta last week.

Today was so dull until 10km to go then bit of a sign of weakness from jumbo being in the wrong place and then showing a huge display of strength with wva winning after his huge effort on the front yesterday. Not seen what alaphillipe got penalised for yet. But glad Yates is in yellow finally. Forgot how rubbish his luck was in 2015 with the inflatable failing.

Kuss will probably be riding with sivakov for the next week looking at his scrapes.

Soldato
That last 10k was good aye. Ineos causing a bit of a split using the wind.

Thought Bennett could have been onto a win due to no massive climbs. Looked like he did bare minimum to take green tbh.

Soldato
He took a bottle within 20k to go, which is not allowed.

Just seen the highlights. Numpty.

Think that finish with the headwind made everyone be Conservative based on stage 3 and wva just took the initiative with so many trains being out of place/fell apart after ineos work/elevation in that final 10k.

Soldato
OP
Dowsett running some fancy kit on that bike, looks like carbon spoked (tri maybe) disc braked front canyon job not Factor of his supplying sponsor...huge front chain ring and rear jockey wheels . And some wierd spaceship helmet
Didn't see it, so still want a link to pictures or someone investigating all the fancy kit! ;) :D

And la course didn't disappoint. Good close finish, course wasn't amazing with so much flat at the end but was a good split early to leave the strongest there.
It was an amazing race, watched the long 2.5 hour stream from ITV and was glad I did, just for seeing those climb efforts from van vluten, absolutely incredible to see. Great finish too, but dang that was a close one! Edge of seat stuff! :D

I know they had technical issues and it is a tough job to talk solo for hours on end but someone please get Carlton Kirby an HD screen to watch on, he misses so many details and hence gets all sorts of things wrong.
Part of me is glad I don't have Eurosport this time, I'm really enjoying ITV's coverage although have only watched Highlights to get all caught up. Fantastic racing really and everything is so up in the air with the way Alaphillipe and Lotto have been riding. Great to see so many young riders really showing their stuff too!

Are the French a bit well thick, well the cyclists anyway. None of them see to be able to wear a mask and keep it on their face in any way shape or form...
Haha, Alaphillipe is rubbish with a mask isn't he! Although think it's pretty brutal to throw a mask on those guys within minutes of finishing a tough stage and then pointing cameras and interviews at them. Should be some ruling about riders having ~5-10 minutes rest before interviews! :rolleyes:

Although seeing Ala that emotional at a finish is just what we watching cycling for, pure class of his own, then so absolutely drained and emotional it's just so raw.

Dull dull dull, awesome. My summary of today's finish. That sprint was utter perfection of surfing the wheels.
That closing speed from Ewan? Absolutely insane how they can be travelling at that speed , yet he can still kick and accelerate to pass them that fast. Wow. Wanna see the power (+cadence) file for that one! ;) :D

inb4 all the Brits moaning about Jumbo Visma making the Tour boring
/signed

Although Kuss is a joy to watch, quality rider and future GT contender for sure, but Rojlic is in a class of his own at the moment... Bear in mind I'm 2 stages behind lol
yatesyatesyates!

Soldato
Fantastic stage today from the gun it was all go, no holds barred. Pogacjar bit unlucky to get caught out, but top tactics from bora early and good to see some of the gc guys on the front. Especially Adam Yates when it looked like he could have got caught out at the back of the group just before it broke up at 30k to go.

Will put some punishment in the legs for some for tomorrow and Sunday.

Soldato
Love the crosswind stages, very smart ride from Bora and thought the GC teams did well at managing the carnage. A shame for Pogacar and Carapaz but hopefully gives them the incentive to attack. I thought Carapaz and Castroviejo trying to outpace the second group on the road was a daft move, they were never going to hold them off and jut a waste of effort.

Green jersey competition could be as interesting as the GC this year. I know van Aert says he’s not going for it but if he picks up another stage or two then surely he’ll have an eye on it.

Soldato
Interesting day, pogacjar showing he's the real deal, and probably rhe most dangerous man in the race if he can back it up tomorrow. roglic perhaps playing it cool, or not on a good day, either way jumbo looked super strong when they needed to. Bernal definitely not up there but managed to peg it and Yates showing his limitations at altitude.

Soldato
And like that pinot breaks all our hearts.

He’s just not cut out for a GT, on his day he is excellent but his bad days are really bad. I hope he’s allowed to turn his focus to the monuments and week long races now. He shouldn’t be defined by constant failures in the Tour because outside of that his palmares is pretty strong - GT stage wins, Lombardy win etc.

Soldato
Absolutely. He's a fantastic rider and has had a lot of success, just the tdf he can't quite nail it the last few years. Perhaps too much pressure since his podium.

Soldato
Absolutely. He's a fantastic rider and has had a lot of success, just the tdf he can't quite nail it the last few years. Perhaps too much pressure since his podium.

Yeah, maybe. 2014 was a weird year though, I don’t think he’d have been near the podium had Froome and Contador stayed in the race. It was a pretty weak GC field compared to now.

Soldato
True, always thought he suited the giro more as he suits the more steeper climbs that go on for a bit. Hope he recovers well. Bardet is going well as the now unexpected challenger from France.

Soldato
Poor Hirschi and all those like me who had a cheeky bet on him! He’s really announced himself at this tour. I’ve not heard of him before but he’s linked to Cancellara?

Pog looks like the strongest in the race right now, JV weakening and Bernal just warming up in a classic Ineos last week surge. It’s a great edition so far

Soldato
@GSVBagpuss - Hirschi is solid. He won U23 worlds at Innsbruck with a superb attack on the descent!

He's on my fantasy team so a bit gutted he didn't get the win on the stage. He would nail all them lads in a sprint really but having been up road solo so long took its toll.

Incoming UCI warning or complaint I fear for use of long computer and mount to leverage on as aero bars though. And he wasn't shy of a sticky bottle/gel from the team car in front the camera/comm car whilst up the road solo either....

Back
Top Bottom