Pro Cycling Discussion 2021

Soldato
OP
That was some incredible show of strength from bernal, thought it was going to be a bit of a dull finale but that gravel ripped it up. That final steep bit was awful, ciccone and vlasov both looked strong too.

Soldato
OP
Haha. yeah that was some power, great sprint by Sagan for the win, kept thinking Gaviria would come round, but just didn't seem to move/have the legs. Was quite an intense day considering it was so flat! Those little climbs were hard enough to make it interesting at least.

Soldato
As a newbie to all this, someone please explain the crash meaning everyone gets the same time? Is this ever suspicious in stopping a leader from losing time? It feels a little like the crash made the whole thing a waste of time if they all get the same time?

Soldato
OP
So on stages identified as not a summit finish day then any crash or mechanical in the last 3 KM neutralises the result and everyone in the bunch at that time gets the same time.

So if the group is split before the 3km to go or it splits during the final 3km and then a crash happens after this they shouldn't be awarded the same time, which is why you see the GC guys right up there in all the sprints as they cannot risk any sort of gap at the line in the bunch as you could quickly lose 10-15 seconds with a minor split that the commissaires declare as a gap.

The reason being is that the time given is from the first person in the previous bunch crossing the line to the first person crossing the line in the next group, so if you have 100 people in that first group then a small gap you could be losing a lot of time!

Also none of the riders want a crash so they're not going to do one on purposes, mechanicals perhaps...

Soldato
Thanks. So the actual rule is a little different than 'everyone just gets the same time', it's more along, the person that crashed gets the same time as those they were with when they crashed. Mind you, what happens if they split up? Or is that where the 'all of them get the same time' comes from? So, if a group of 10 have someone crash, all 10 of them are getting the same time? But whose? The first across the line?

Sorry for the newb questions, but I'm rather enjoying it, so want to understand it as best I can :)

Soldato
OP
So the time is given of the group they were in and of the first person across that line in that group.

So if you have Group A and Group B 10 seconds apart at 3KM to go and someone from Group B crashes and slows the rest of the group down, and at the finish they finished 20 seconds behind Group A, everyone in the group would be given the +20 seconds time.

If you have one big Group and someone crashes, similar to Mondays Giro, everyone that was in that group at 3KM to go would be given the same time as the winner.

That make sense?

I actually think the 3KM rule is good as most of the time on sprint stages it means there is a bit more going on, if it was just sprint trains it'd be fairly boring, but the mix of GC on the big stage races makes things that bit more interesting. if you gave times from 3km to go it'd just cause more issues and chaos.

Soldato
I didnt watch all of it, do you know what happened to Dan Martin and Formolo?

I think just like most other people they got gapped, split to groups and just could not hack the pace. Nothing specific about them other than the gaps they suffered.

Soldato
OP
Ganna absolutely destroyed the race. A thing of beauty.

That was quite some effort, the way he blew it apart then as soon as the road went uphill he blew up! Making back 5 minutes in 10k was unbelievable. Absolutely enthralling stage throughout. That last climb really blew everything up finally, I thought it'd all come in together, but that was the last straw! Great sprint for the actual win by Schmid too, although that was as expected completely glossed over! Any news on why Remco just died a death or was it just cumulative fatigue from having to bridge constantly?

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-eases-rules-to-break-bidon-bottleneck-at-giro-ditalia/

Finally some sensibility by the UCI!

Soldato
OP
Just watching back the last 70km, Carthy was mighty impressive yesterday I must say, as was Vlasov obviously. Saw on the results that Martinez snuck into the top 10 for Ineos too, hardly seem to see him yesterday! After Ganna nailed that first sector they seemed light on numbers but they regathered quickly and Bernal reaped the benefits.

Back
Top Bottom