Problem Formatting External HDD

Associate
I have a WD My Book with two FAT32 partitions. I am trying to use Disk Utility to format/erase one of the partitions to use HFS+ however the Disk Utility hangs and when I quit the program the volumes become unreadable (though I have managed to rebuild them in windows). Anyone had this problem? Are there any other programs which I could try instead of Disk Utility?

I want to avoid destroying/formatting the other partition.

Soldato
Very strange, try booting from the OS X install disks (hold down C at boot up) and go to Disk Utility in there and try it.

Associate
OP
This is from the log file:

Disk Utility started.

Preparing to erase : “Time Machine”
The volume could not be made bootable during erase
This new volume may not be bootable in the future
newfs_hfs: /dev/rdisk1s5: No such file or directory

Volume Erase failed with the error:

The underlying task reported failure on exit
Erase complete.

Mounting Disk
Erase complete.

Soldato
Hmmmm that is a bit of a doozy.

I have been googling around for you to try and find if doing it by the terminal would be of any extra benefit but it turns out that it isn't.

How about you do the formatting in two steps?

Erase the drive completely - then reboot, then plug it in and format to the required type (HFS in your case).

It may work if you break it into two stages - but I am just spitballin' ideas with you here.

Rich

Associate
OP
I somehow managed to fix it. Not entirely sure how though. I went back into windows and reformatted the partition and added a couple of files. In Disk Utility, I then erased the partition and selected the option to write zeros to the partition and it worked.

Back
Top Bottom