Problem with cooler, need support.

Associate
Hello everyone. I have a problem with my computer. I recently bought all the components, installed them inside the case and after i started it and played a game to test it, the graphics card just heated way too much. I opened the side panel of the case and it dropped instantly by 10 degrees celsius.
The case is a zalman z7 neo with 4 rgb fans, 3 in front and 1 in the back. I am using the built it fan controller. As i checked the fans, i saw that they blow the air in the opposite direction, so, the front ones get the air from inside the case and blows it out and the one in the back takes it from outside and blows it inside. The built in controller has a molex connector with 2 sides and i plugged it in the power supply connector. The connector from the case has a male and female side, while the power supply only has female connector. I have some pictures attached from web to show you exactly what they are. Also, i would like to know if i can control the speed of the fans somehow as i managed to control just the lights.
rgb-pc-fan-adaptor-with-4-x-6pin-1-molex-aura-controller-mad-offers-cable-technology-electronics_145_1080x.jpg
11w3-04412_02_th.jpg

Associate
I will bite. Simply check for arrows on the fan's frame. Fix the cooler pointing to the desired direction. Or simply unscrew and screw pointing to the opposite direction from what is now screwed.

Soldato
How can i do this?Do i need an molex male to male adaptor to connect in on reverse or is not this a solution?

Most PSUs will come with molex connections. That adapter will take male or female so it doesn't matter - so long as power is supplied.

Case fans should be setup like this...ish

Front - Sucking in
Top - Sucking in
Rear - blowing out

Just remount them in the desired way and you're good to go

Soldato
your 3 front fans should be fitted as intake (irrespective of how they look) though i imagine they will have been in the correct orientation from the 'factory' but they are plonked behind a glass screen so their effectiveness is somewhat limited. the case design isn't conducive to good air flow from what i can see. doesn't appear to be an option to fit any on the bottom of the case, at least what i can tell from looking at the pictures of it. can that front glass panel be removed?

Soldato
Stock photos on Zalman website show it having fans oriented correctly - rule of thumb, if you can see clear blades, air is sucked in. If you can see the frame across the blades, air is blown towards you.

That case has an LED controller board which also powered the fans via 6-pin connector. Are you using that controller? I don't see a way to control speed from it sadly.

Soldato
fans all look correct. front 3 taking air in, rear expelling. i'd go back to my original point, the glass panel at the front will likely be stifling the front 3 fans. can you remove it to test?

Associate
OP
i think that the only thing to do is put some longer screws,even if these are really long tho,and put the fans a little bit further from the glass pannel from the front.

Soldato
I tried to remove it but i can t.It s glued to the plastic front.
shame, but i know what i'd be doing with it. glued or not it'd be coming off ;)
i think that the only thing to do is put some longer screws,even if these are really long tho,and put the fans a little bit further from the glass pannel from the front.
not sure how you'll do that or what if it'll indeed even help. guessing the air can in a bit round the sides of the glass where the plastic grill is? any option to return the case, from appearances it's a style over substance unfortunately. nowt wrong with a front glass panel but without options to add intake fans the air feeding into the case airflow is going to be quite restricted. maybe try a couple of fans in the roof drawing air in. it's not the ideal airflow but at least it will get some cooler, unrestricted air into the case.

Soldato
Try removing the whole plastic front facia with the glass fitted. It should just unclip and pull away from the front of the case. If there are any dust filters in the plastic front facia then remove them to give you a bit more airflow.

Associate
OP
I don t know for sure, but i saw in one of the pictures right now that it has some extra holes for the front fans. I will check them at home because i am at work right now. Maybe i can lut them a little bit further from the glass.I really like that case.

Soldato
Would likely work better if fans from front where moved to exhausts in top etc.
While there are decent grills on sides it looks like marketing clowns with half tightened ties slapped those front fans touching that front panel.
Meaning they're there entirely for that RGB garbage.

Back
Top Bottom