• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Problem with GTX 285 BSOD with 30 mins of running any 3d game in Vista 64

Associate
Hi,

I posted this in 'overclocking' by mistake last night, should have been in this forum. Will get a Don to delete that one.

Anyways,

---------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

I've just bought a new system and am having problems with BSOD everytime I run 3d games.

System spec is;

Vista64 Bit
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.32Ghz (it's an shop Overclocked OcUK machine)
BFG GTX 285 OC2 (standard, I've not tweaked this at all)
6GB Ram

Games / 3d apps I've tried are;

Unreal Tournament 3
Crysis
Oblivion
Neverwinter Nights 2
3DMark 06 (which has crashed twice out of four attempts)

The games crash within 30 mins, a lot of the time within 5-10 mins.

The screen goes black then get the BSOD with the message

"Atempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed".

I've updated the drivers to 182.50 (7.15.11.8250) to no avail. Using SpeedFan to look at temperatures and the GPU never seems to get above 70c.

Everything else with regards Vista 64bit runs great, HD video editing, etc. The computer is super fast, love it, just wish we could play games on it, which is the main reason for getting it.

Any ideas ?

Cheers,

Permabanned
If you know to, test the PC with no overclocking at all. So set the bios back to default.

If that solves your problem, then OC have sent you out a PC that's unstable at their own overclock, which means they'll need to replace it for you.

Permabanned
Before you start messing with motherboard settings I’d suggest under clocking the 285 and see if the problem persists.

I suppose that's a good choice too, I didn't notice it was a pre-overclocked one, I just seen it (standard not tweaked).

Though I have seen quite a few threads around where pre-OC cards can't handle their settings.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies. I think, touch wood, we've figured it out.

Generally it was crashing inside 10 (definately within 30) minutes on any game.

I took the side of the case off, its a Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos, and it didn't crash for just gone 45 minutes.

After reading your posts I went snooping, looking at the clocking settings, etc, with some Nvidia performance tool thing I downloaded, then I noticed in the 'Cooling' part, the fan was set to 40%. So I set it to 80% (a bit noisier) and got the misses to test it again, with the case closed.

Started playing UT3 at 10.15pm and she's still happily fragging aliens now at 11.50pm, over 1.5 hrs later. Bingo!!!

Thanks for the advice, pointed me in the right direction to find the fan settings. All I'm wondering now is will setting the fan to 80% reduce it's life drastically or would it have been set to 40% accidentially ?

Cheers,

Back
Top Bottom