1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems With My PC

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by robhough, 22 Jul 2006.

1. robhough

Gangster

Hi,

When i run my pc it loads up fine but after a while some times it restarts itself. i reformated about 2 months ago to get rid of some rubbish on it but it keeps doing it.

Does Anyone know what the problem is?

I am running Windows XP SP2

2. semi-pro waster

Man of Honour

Does this problem occur at regular intervals or only under heavy use? e.g. is there any sort of predictable trigger? Have you tried running memtest86 or prime95? What sort of voltages are your rails?

Sorry lots of questions but at this stage it could be almost anything. As a shot in the dark I'd suggest memory as the most likely cause because memory is often the most flakey component.

3. robhough

Gangster

It happens mostly when im playing music or on msn or both. i thort it was my pc overheating but i checked the temp and it was fine.

4. shimy182

Mobster

checked the the Power supply voltage?

5. sugoi

Gangster

Everest is a good piece of software for you to check your Voltages and temperatures...

6. xirokx

Mobster

check your memory is in the correct slots.....

7. [email protected]

Wise Guy

Assuming you didn't go inside the PC and play around with hardware, and that it was fine before the change (and that it started doing this as soon as you had reformatted).... I know lots of assumptions...

... my guess would be a software / driver issue.

It's more likely than a hardware fault that just happened to occur at the same time as you made a software change (although this isnt impossible).

M