• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PROBLEMS WITH RYZEN5 INSTALLATION AND AMD MSI B450M MOTHERBOARD

Associate
I have a new Ryzen 5 processor with a screw - on heat sink which is sold together in a box. I have attached it to my new compatible AMD msi B450M motherboard. I also have a new 8 GB RAM card slotted in to the first position away from the processor / heat sink. As far as I can see all the cables are connected correctly yet only the lights on the motherboard lit up and the cooling fan of the heat sink started working. Nothing else! No BIOS message or page on the monitor screen. I handled the processor with care like an egg only holding it at the edges and with plastic gloves. I am certain I never damaged the golden pins beneath (if they are so sensitive then they should be protected so that it is impossible to touch them with fingers) What am I doing wrong? I tried several times. In the instructions and on the motherboard there is inadequate information for the correct positioning of the CPU. Only a small golden triangle on the processor but no corresponding golden triangle on the board. Just a white dot with wires leading away. I am a trained technical author and consider this a major blunder and omission of whoever wrote the instructions and designed the motherboard. Presumably the processor sits with the triangle at the corner where the white dot is on the board? Only 2 orientations seemed to be possible because there are 4 rectangular shapes on either side of the square hole in the middle both on the processor and the board which presumably must also align with each other. Each time I took off the heat sink to check the position of the CPU, it was stuck to the bottom of the heat sink. I suspect that the uneven screwing on of the heat sink at all 4 corners is the problem as it must move the processor around while it is being lowered down by the screws unevenly? Maybe a simple and more conventional heat sink which is just put on and clamped would have been better or maybe one of the components is faulty? I don´t know and it cost me a lot of money. What should I do?

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like the board needs a bios update to support the processor.

Had the issue of nothing on the screen even though pc started up fine. Mine was a 2200g and a Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 AMD B350 (Socket AM4) DDR4 Micro ATX Motherboard.

I had to log a rma with AMD and ask for a boot kit which they sent a compatable processor so I could update the bios and send the processor back. This was all free of charge as well.

As I'm on my phone I am unable to check if your board supports the processor as standard.

Associate
I know this might sound a bit silly but you don't say which Ryzen 5 you have installed. Assuming its a non-G CPU you do have a graphics card plugged in, as the rest of the CPUs dont have inbuilt GPUs, and thus plugging your monitor into the video output on the motherboard wouldnt work. If it is a model an inbuilt GPU then of course it should be fine but I thought I would ask just in case.

Soldato
There is only 1 way a CPU can physically fit in the socket, so if you've managed to insert it in 2 different ways AND managed to close the retention latch then you're probably trashed your CPU and/or motherboard. Similarly, you've run the risk of destroying the CPU and/or board if you've managed to remove the heatsink and the CPU is stuck to it, because that means the CPU has been pulled out through the retention latch. Also, the manuals are perfectly clear. Looking at the manual for the B450M Mortar, the quick-start diagram indicating the CPU triangle and socket triangle should align is a little vague, but page 27 quite clearly states what the triangles mean and how to align your CPU.

In the offchance you haven't destroyed your hardware, which Ryzen 5 are you using? Have you plugged your graphics card in? Have you connected the 4 or 8 pin CPU power connector correctly to the motherboard?

Caporegime
I just googled it and you're right there is no corresponding mark on the Foxconn socket.

But they can only fit in one way, once lined up correctly it should fall in under its own wight, it may need a light push to make it flush, as long as you didn't force it, it should be correctly socketed.
Check the CPU pins for damage.

The only other thing i can think of, is that as others have said perhaps you have bought a Ryzen CPU without Integrated Graphics, the 2200G and 2400G have iGPU's, the Ryzen 5 1400, 1500, 1600 and 2600 don't have integrated graphics so you will need a discrete GPU and make sure your screen is attached to that discrete GPU, not the Motherboard IO.

PS: when removing the cooler twist it and slide it off to one side, never ever pull it up, the paste creates a vacuum seal which can rip the CPU out of the locked socket, doing this does not necessarily damage the CPU or the socket, check the pins, it might be ok.

BSJQIeZ.jpg.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a new Ryzen 5 processor with a screw - on heat sink which is sold together in a box. I have attached it to my new compatible AMD msi B450M motherboard. I also have a new 8 GB RAM card slotted in to the first position away from the processor / heat sink.

Please clarify whether you mean an 8GB (video memory) graphics card or an 8GB DDR4 (memory) stick. It sounds like you mean memory and as others have suggested you may not have a necessary graphics card for the Ryzen 5 in question. So ideally confirm which Ryzen it is.

Soldato
Is now a bad time to mention my ASUS C6H boots my 1700 (no iGPU) happily without a GPU present? Not sure this is standard behaviour for other boards, but in my case it’s a server, so no great loss.

Back
Top Bottom