Products to stay away from. (horror stories)

Associate
fenderbass86 said:
I've had my Maxtor for a year and it's so bad. It's just been making my computer crash at rando.. *crash* :D

oops picked one of these for a friend - whos older drive went up in smoke - for real... .. all fine 2 weeks later - windows crash at startup and freeze - drive tested, says ok... can not install Windows 2k either... no other hardware changed... makes me wonder about the maxtor now - although I aint had much success with IBM/Hitachi drives either... good old deskstars :eek:

Last edited:
Caporegime
conuk said:
oops picked one of these for a friend - whos older drive went up in smoke - for real... .. all fine 2 weeks later - windows crash at startup and freeze - drive tested, says ok... can not install Windows 2k either... no other hardware changed... makes me wonder about the maxtor now - although I aint had much success with IBM/Hitachi drives either... good old deskstars :eek:

Maybe you just have a magnetic personality?

Sorry :o Couldnt resist :p

Suspended
Generally been ok with PC components not bad as I've learnt stuff whilst building/using PC's. One unstable motherboard from about 6 systems. I would have to say Maxtor HD's are in my black list, every HD failure from friends/work has been a Maxtor. One unsatisfied purchase was a Voodoo 1- it took ages for stable drivers and fully working DX and by that time poor fps (unstable around DX3, stable at DX5-DX6) Probably also say cheap cases, especially cramped designs. Some midi towers are still cramped that cables and drives squidge around CPU/memory/motherboard. And Windows ME.

Associate
Cricial 2x 1GB PC4000 Ballsitix kits!

I had some....busted (and still waiting 5 weeks later for my replacement)
a friend had some...busted
and 5 billion other peole with them....busted!

Associate
ive had some crap MSI boards, and some crap ABIT boards, said woudnt use any of them again, however others have had issues with asus boards,
luck of the draw sometimes imo

Soldato
Another one for the Qtec's so called PSU.

Mine blew up in my face (which was nice). ( I happened to have head inside the pc trying to fiddle with something and boom there it went).

I have had problems with a single seagate baracuda drive where it just randomly stopped working but I think that was just a one off.

Soldato
oweneades said:
Another one for the Qtec's so called PSU.

Mine blew up in my face (which was nice). ( I happened to have head inside the pc trying to fiddle with something and boom there it went).

Same happened to me with an Olivetti monitor.

Associate
Q-Tec PSU's - My mate got through about 3 of them from his local ****** electronics store. All of them went pop within 48 hours. He then bought a Tagan 480 and hasn't had any issues since

A-Open optical Drives - I had one a while back (I'm sorry, but I cant remember the model) and it was the noisiest drive I have even owned. It was just a 52x CD-ROM but it sounded like an aircraft.....It died eventually unsurprisingly.
A-Open's tech support was non existent. A crap company for sure.

Aopen H600 Tower Case Very heavy, and difficult to work with. Poor airflow, and quite noisey. A nightmare to install/remove motherboards and PSU's

Twinmos RAM I've been through 3 different modules of this stuff. All causing lots of memory related issues with my PC (Motherboard is compatible) All RMA'd, with the last lot getting sold to a friend

Last edited:

J.T

J.T

Soldato
Antec Neo He 430W PSU and Asus NF4 Mobos.

Brought an Antec P150 (from OCUK) case which comes with the Antec Neo He 430W PSU in it and at the same time brought an Asus NF4 based Mobo to go in it.

Worked fine for about two weeks (only a small crash now and then but nothing major) then it started to get random crashes while in games which would reboot the PC.

After testing all the hardware in another PC and not finding anything wrong I monitored the Voltage on the PSU and noticed the 12V rail would sometimes drop to just below 10V.

Didnt think this looked right so I googled my problem and found loads of people where having the same issue.

Replaced the PSU with a Hiper 580W Type R and all problems are gone.

Soldato
xander_uk2 said:
A-Open optical Drives - I had one a while back (I'm sorry, but I cant remember the model) and it was the noisiest drive I have even owned. It was just a 52x CD-OM but it sounded like an aircraft.....It died eventually unsurprisingly.
A-Open's tech support was non existent. A crap company for sure.

Aopen H600 Tower Case Very heavy, and difficult to work with. Poor airflow, and quite noisey. A nightmare to install/remove motherboards and PSU's

Might want to add motherboards to that list. Aopen are ****, low quality stuff that would fit better in an OEM PC.

Soldato
xander_uk2 said:
Q-Tech PSU's - My mate got through about 3 of them from his local ****** electronics store. All of them went pop within 48 hours. He then bought a Tagan 480 and hasn't had any issues since

Q-Tec or Q-Tech? Without wishing to be too pedantic they are two completely different brands.

Q-Tec are the cheapo ones OcUK sell.

Back
Top Bottom