Project Diamond Black: 100% Complete AT LAST!! - Tons of Pictures

Soldato
OP
The aquatube IS the res:D The only bit that would be black is the actual tank bit, the plate would be untouched. When I look over the top I can see parts of the tank so it wont be totally unoticeable.

Im really liking the idea of a aquatube-plate styly for the radiator grill, essentially It would just be a bigger version of the aquatube plate, and the actual mesh attached underneath but with the screws on the top as you say. That would look very smart, all I need to find now is a sheet of 2mm aluminium and get a light brushed effect so it would match. The screws are no problem because I can get some more of those from the uk aquacomp supplier.

That idea would certainly look better than just plain old chrome edge and mesh:)

Any idea where I can get the aluminium sheet from? Also if those places can cut and brush it too?

/edit I think I may have read your reply wrong, at the moment the aquatube tank part is titanium, as in this picture,
02.jpg

I will try and get the part that is titanium, anodised black. The steel plate is going to stay silver because I think it looks decent like that on the outside of the case.

Last edited:
Associate
Where are you going to send these things to be anodised? Does just anywhere do this, or a specific place?

Do many places do custom jobs for customers, cos i have a few ideas, and would love to know if there are places out there that will help?

--- Z ---

Associate
i meant rad sorry :) as if the rad is black, and the aquatube tank is black they would match...

regardless, i think it would certainly look very good if you anodized it black, but leaving the plate silver as you say - it looks very smart as it is.

as far as brushing is concerned, www.kellysearch.com ? ill have a look now. 2mm aluminium can probably be bought from b&q i would have thought, otherwise ill look for aluminium sheeting suppliers on kelly as well

edit - tbh, i should have thought of this earlier - surely you can find a place to provide brushed aluminium sheet, so i suggest looking around on : http://www.kellysearch.com/results.asp?search-type=prodcat&search-text=aluminium+sheet and seeing if any of them can provide a finish as well. Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
z, I done a search on kelly search for local anodisers.

shroom, thats an execellent idea, I will have a look see what on offer. My radiator is Silver and black by the way:D So its going to match sweet too:p

I agree the aquatube looks smart as it is now, but when the tank is black, it will look ever smarter AND match the rest of the system:)

Soldato
OP
Now lets not argue, Robert was infact talking about himself;) Im only 16 whereas he is 17 so he was talking about himself:D

Anyway I have been speaking to a good friend of mine and he can get me a sheet of aluminium the correct size and also can get a 120mm hole cut dead centre at his college. That will give me a nice radiator plate to accompany the aquatube plate. Ive spoken to aquacomputer supplier and he is looking for some spare nuts/bolts so that when I mount the radiator plate it should match it in terms of looks. Whats even more is that I have decided to zinc the aquatube plate and the aquadrive front plate so it will match the zinc'd parts of the case. At the moment they have a brushed effect, while that still looks nice, I dont think radiator plate will match in terms of colour tones so im going to just get the lot zinc'd.

I havent spoken to the metal plating guy recently because im pretty busy helping the parents out with a gathering we are having on saturday (150 guests:eek:) so I hope you can appreciate the lack of updates till after then. I hope im not to shocked about the zinc'ing and anodising prices. Anybody had anything done before? what sort of prices is it?

Soldato
OP
I have some more goodies that have arrived today:D

Danger Den Z-Chip Northbridge Waterblock
09.jpg

Its so small! Ive put it next to my Oz-imported original cathar lrww to show a comparison:D

Also I ordered some more hose clips and a pump anti vibration kit
10.jpg

I have loads more stuff arriving this week so stay tuned:D

Soldato
OP
Originally posted by Malt_Vinegar
How did i miss this thread?!?!?
Uber 1337 system s'ah :D

Cheers:D Hopefully I will aquire a dremel tomorrow to do my uber big window. Then its off to the spray works.

Using the dremel I will also cut some holes in the motherboard plate for the cpu and nb waterblock so I dont have to remove the motherboard to remove the blocks. Easily done and 200% more practical.

Im waiting delivery for some nice barbs, 1gig of ram, zalman heatpipe, ratpadz mouse mat.

Waiting to be ordered is some y splitters, aquacomputer white led kit for aquatube and a nice keyboard.

Once the barbs have arrived I can get my aquatube holes enlarged which will be drilled and taped at dads work.

After that the aquatube is going to be sent to be anodised black.

Then the final touches will be the zinc plating process for the following items:-

Case Chassis
Aquatube Plate
Aquadrive Front

Soldato
OP
Some more progress-ish photos......

The cage in its total stand alone state, this is the whole section that will be zinc'd
10.jpg

Rough guide to where the pump(eheim 1250) will be placed, replaced the original plastic barbs with brass ones
11.jpg

Here is the top section of the case that is ready to be off to be sprayed, I removed it from the cage by drilling out the rivets.
12.jpg

Here is the current working conditions of the garage, little messy I know! But we just had a big function with 150 guests so a lot of the stuff is ready for the tip
13.jpg

We got 3 tubes fitted yesterday so it brightens up the garage nicely, I can actually work in there without opening the front two garage doors : - D
14.jpg

Soldato
OP
Originally posted by Matteh
not as bad as i thought it was going to be, youve got some nice kit there.

I know what you mean, when I say £360 on cooling, £130 - 36gb raptor, and all the other quality components, there are things which I have saved big bucks on, such as the processor only cost me £60 (1700+).

I could have made it £360 cheaper and got some noisy fans but where is the fun in that?:D

Im about to fit the zalman on my r9000pro now so keep tuned.

/edit cant fit the zalman at the moment due to the cpu duct in the dell. I will just have to wait for my case to be finished.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Here is the pricelist of my components, going from the invoices from each store, the listed prices are excluding vat.

Store 1
Abit NF7-S v2 - £71
Western Digital Raptor 36.7gb sata 10000RPM - £99
Antec Trueblue 480w psu - £74
Logitech MX700 Mice - £42.65
Akasa Serial ATA psu converter - £2.95
Akasa Serial ata 45cm silver data cable - £3.80
Rounded floppy cable - metal braided - £3.50

Total inc vat - £362.09

Store 2
Panaflo 120mm FBA12G12M - £12.99
1/2" Dangerden Clearflex 60 tubing - £13.50
Worm Drive Hose Clips - £7.25

Total inc vat - £45.82

Store 2 again but seperate order
Dangerden Z Chipset Block - £28.50
Antivibration pump mounting kit - £5.99
Worm Drive Hose Clips - £2.90

Total inc vat - £50.12

Store 3
AquaDrive titanium - £69.99
AquaTube titanium - £40.50
AquaTube steel plate - £7.99

Total inc vat - £132.48

Store 4
Zalman VGA Heatpipe cooler - £24.99
Ratpadz GS - £13

Total inc vat - £44.64

Other things
Original Cathar Little River White Water #92 - £60
HTP2 Single Rad (second hand) - £35
AMS Gmono Black Case inc 300w psu - £65
1700+ DLT3C 0310 handpicked - £60

Things I bought which I never needed
30m pvc tubing - £25
Wrong set of barbs - £11

Things which are arriving
2x 512mb Twinmos w/ winbond chips - £166

Things I need to pay for
MS Cordless Natural Keyboard - £65
New set of barbs - £15
Anodising and Zinc Plating - ????dont know yet????

Total price of everything that has been paid for and will be paid for exlcuding the anodising and zinc plating :-

£1137.15

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom