Project: LavaStone Nimitz-03 (04-08-06)

Associate
Please carry on keeping this updated. After seeing all these amazing modding thread recently it's really tempting me to make myself something unique.

I like the idea you've got with the acrilic sheet under the grills, looks good already and with glow will be even better. Who cares about airflow when it looks good :p

With the radbox where are the fans going to be? I think i've seen similar where it's all sealed with a fan at the back/side so air is pulled through the rad but not directly, i imagine this isn't a good as have dedicated fans though.

You're system is stunning so far, an amazing looking case (oh how i wish i had the money :(), a high spec rig and a very nice watercooling setup. I have always wanted to try WCing but can never justify it, do you think it's worth it?

Soldato
Hmm i cant see why my post was deleted :mad: , i didn't link to anything.

The gist of my post was keep up the good work its looking great. There are a fair few modders on here but i can see what your saying.

Mark

beh

beh

Associate
Yewen said:
Not all forums are competitors, if you check the stickys modding guide you will see places like bittech are linked to.
As gr1mey points out its not just other forums, but suppliers. Its often impossible to ask "Where can I get this?" or "Where did you get that bit?" which obviously is a bit of a hindrance.

It is nice to see more modding projects in CC but as with many others I've usually little to comment beyond a generic "nice work" or something so I tend not to.

Anyway, nice work gr1mey :)

Soldato
You cant mention suppliers, but just listing a full product name usually suffices. ;)

Competitor thing is a pain I will agree, but these are a shops forums so it makes complete sense to why they are there.

Associate
gr1mey said:
quite frankly, the lack of interest in this project from these forums is disheartening, so I will not be continuing to post updates here, those of you who wish to follow the project can do so from my log on the 'other' well known project-logging forums.

If OcUK Forums are seriously intending to grow their hardcore modding community there is no other option than to create a seperate modding forum, imo.

regards.

g.

I'm sorry but i find that comment a bit over the top.

You posted the same project log on bit-tech a day before you posted it here on OcUK. That post quoted above was post number 22 and it was posted yesterday.

Over at bit-tech as of just now having gone had a look, you have 22 posts in your thread, however you have added more to the log.

So going by that having had your log up on bit-tech for an extra day and reaching 22 posts today on bit-tech - your log is doing much better here on OcUK, having gone up a day later and having reached 22 posts yesterday without your extra work being posted.

Total comments by members of OCUK before yesterdays post quoted above = 7
Total comments by members of Bit-tech as of just now = 10

Not bad considering you have updated the bit tech thread and had you updated here i'm sure you would have had more comments.

but i would also like to comment that these forums are not as fast moving as others are, and many people here are also there and may have already commented over there and so not commented here.

This is my first chance to have read this log, and it's a shame you wont be bothering here any more

Associate
OP
Harib0 said:
but i would also like to comment that these forums are not as fast moving as others are, and many people here are also there and may have already commented over there and so not commented here.

Clearly not as the amount of posts following my decision to not post here seems to have generated huge interest in this thread. I will continue to post here now, as it would seem that I am wrong about interest in the project, but how am I supposed to know if I get so few replies, if people just showed interest in it then I wouldnt think that nobody cared :)

Soldato
Because OcUK is the only forum on the net that I know where people only post when they can contribute.

Nobody wanted to see this thread go to death, just you seem to know as much as anyone else, more than me, on what you are doing so its very hard to recommend anything past cosmetic changes, and you have gotten all that spot on so far.

Take the views as the interest, and that is not low. :p

Associate
gr1mey said:
Clearly not as the amount of posts following my decision to not post here seems to have generated huge interest in this thread. I will continue to post here now, as it would seem that I am wrong about interest in the project, but how am I supposed to know if I get so few replies, if people just showed interest in it then I wouldnt think that nobody cared :)

Sorry but you didn't make such a comment on bit-tech. And your comparing here to bit-tech, when both before and after your post you had a better response here than you had a bit-tech

Associate
Get the updates posted then! looking forward to see how much you've done, I personally don't read the bit tech forums so haven't seen any further updates. :)

Associate
OP
Back by (popular?) demand? lol!

Well, what a difference a day makes, the radbox is all painted, in the end it got 5 coats of black, and 4 coats of clear, and considering my painting skills arent much to write home about, I dont think it came out TOO bad!

side.JPG

Today in the post I recieved:

120.2 Neoprene Gasket
120.3 Neoprene Gasket
PowerPlant II Pump Relay
90' 1/2" Barb

So on with the gaskets, and on with the fans, I then went ahead and mounted the rad into the box, only placed the pump for the time being, and I hooked all the fans to the modded rheobus and turned it all on to check all the new fans were working fine, which they are.
rad_fans_pump.JPG

heres a quick sneak peak of whats to come when Im nearer the end, firstly the case on top with no sidepanel, notice I also got round to drilling a nice big hole to take cables behind the motherboard - thankfully the TJ-03 came with XL risers as standard.
I also fitted the case feet from the TJ-03 to the bottom of the radbox.
together_no_panel.JPG

and secondly with the black side panel on :D

together_with_panel.JPG

not too bad at all I dont think! cant wait to get the rest of the heavy work done so I can mount those tasty grills and put the front bezel back on!!

Associate
OP
Ive ordered the FINAL parts that I need to complete the rig today, they are:

Repack Res Black
Alphacool NeXxXoS NB-SLi
5mm Red LED (for res)
25 Red Cable ties
4 x G1/4" to 1/2" Barbs
1/2" Y Splitter
6ft 1/2" ID Tygon
Water Wetter

Might try and get the day off tomorrow and head off to the merchant to get the last load of bits I need from there, that will be:

Some self-tapping screws to mount 120.2 in the case top
3.6m 15mm OD Copper Pipe
20 x 90' Copper Solder Elbows

My good friend is a plumber, so hopefully I can bribe him with a few beers to let me borrow his Blowtorch along with some flux and solder ;)

If everything goes to that plan ( sure ) I will have time tomorrow to make up a blanking plate for the upper 80mm exhaust so that the CPU_IN feed can come from the back of the case and into the CPU block.

Then over the weekend I can crack on and knock the main amount of pipework out, it will take some time getting it all nice and neat, and a bit of planning, and a few crucial holes to be drilled, then I should be well on my way :)

Comments, as always are welcome :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
yeah, thanks guys, its not the easiest to paint at all, its sucks the paint like its going out of fashion lol - next time I build sommet for the PC it will be out of aluminium lol.

Associate
Should look the bizz when it's all together. Matches with the case very nicely!

Have you got a grill on the other side of the radbox to the rad for the air to be pulled in?

I like the look of those fans, how are they noise/airflow?

Soldato
Reading threads like this always makes me cry - i'm too scared of injuring myself / my girlfriend / my flat / my pride to mod or build anything on this kind of scale (wish I did have the knowledge though :))

The whole thing looks flippin' awesome so far though. :D

Soldato
You can get MDF primer, I'm not sure if you can get it in spray form though. Its basically a white primer that stops any further coats from soaking in. Its looking very nice, i love the look of them HIFI feet with the black :cool: .

Mark

Back
Top Bottom