Project: Measure twice cut once! (56k no!)

Soldato
OP
right-o!

shoot once and scored, taken the 6800ultra out, used the onboard vga and it's working now..

So, do we think the psu isn't up to the job or is the only 2nd hand bit knackered?

I'm going to try running it off it's own psu.. unless we think that could be dangerous?

Opinions quick!

EDIT: decided I couldn't wait and hooked the 6800 up to my spare 480w psu all on its lonesome.. did exactly the same so there's 2 options..

1) flt gfx card.. not the end of the world, I'll try it with the stock heatsink on, if that doesn't work then I'll RMA it.

2) flt pci-e slot (eg mobo) fairly unlikely but will be sorted when I get a new gfx card.

I think I might take this opportunity to cut and run with nvidia too.. might get hold of another x850 just for ease of driver downloads etc...

Progress though!

Last edited:
Associate
WOW :eek: Im sure I looked at Overclockers lol but I couldnt find it. Thanks :D

EDIT: Ah I never bothered to look in the 'Value' Section.

Soldato
OP
right, quick update (got a bit bored so haven't done anything for a while)..

identified the 6800 as the problem, asumed it was borked but it works fine in my current pc (5900 3dm 05 sound about right?) so my next plan of attack is to get a 20 to 24 pin atx adapter for the mobo because I know the xtra 4 pins are to power the pci-e slots but I assumed that wouldn't be a problem seeing as it has an adapter taking power from 2 molexes..

If the adapter doesn't stabilise the power then its a new psu and that gets very interesting.. not much choice in high end matx psus!

Going to get the OS on tonight hopefully and maybe do bit of clocking without the gfx card in confusing things (thank god for on board video!)..

Associate
oh well - your unlucky again - are you sure you cant fit a full size atx in their - solve any power problems you had...

i have read the entire thread and from what I can workout it sounds like your psu maybe overloaded (btw - not the best choice of graphics for a matx - very hot and a huge power draw - would have been better of with an x800xl methinks....)

nice case though - and the lian li sticker is not needed as soon as they see the watercooling lol (prehaps stick it on your car lol)

maybe the bend in your board maybe causing your problems - motherboards dont like being bent (said from a man who knows)

good luck man....

Soldato
OP
m3csl2004 said:
oh well - your unlucky again - are you sure you cant fit a full size atx in their - solve any power problems you had...

i have read the entire thread and from what I can workout it sounds like your psu maybe overloaded (btw - not the best choice of graphics for a matx - very hot and a huge power draw - would have been better of with an x800xl methinks....)

nice case though - and the lian li sticker is not needed as soon as they see the watercooling lol (prehaps stick it on your car lol)

maybe the bend in your board maybe causing your problems - motherboards dont like being bent (said from a man who knows)

good luck man....

x800xl+2405fpw=:(

kind of limited on the gfx card by the stupid monitor I have, I've managed to discount the bendy mobo by removing components and the only time it starts rebooting is with the 6800 in.. I measured, I full atx will fit but only if the outlets are in the right place (eg a ocz modstream would fit, enermax/tagan wouldn't) but then I'd need to reroute all the tubing and hide it under the psu which isn't the point.

Or have it poking out the back about an inch but then I'd have to make some way of bracing it, that might be a go-er in which case I'll go running for another hiper modular because the one I already have is awesome and looks the business.

My next thought was 2 shuttle psus strapped together.. that might work :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
:p its a thought!

Thats why i think it must be the non atx v2 of this psu, those 250w shuttle psus can run anything so its not a power thing.

and atx on its side? a) too easy and b) too big :p

Soldato
OP
ARGH!

wtf is it now??

Installing windows, get to the point where it asks you what drive you want it on and it restarts... everytime.. press F8 to accept licence.. press f8.. reboot.

No matter how long you leave it..

I'm becoming more convinced this psu is a piece of **** and is causing this.. it's too definable where the faults are, I can't see any reason for it rebooting other than that.

Any suggestions? (cpu temps in bios pre install attempts 35ish, straight after reboot 37-39 by the way, also felt the back of the mobo by the cpu and its warm but not cooking by any sretch)

Soldato
OP
Don't know how to do that in bios, I have used the memory before (its my pre 2gb upgrade stuff) but any pointers on how to test it would be gratefully received.

Soldato
OP
Bundles said:
memtest86 can be run from a bootable floppy/CDROM, you can download it HERE and read about how to use it etc HERE.

Or if you would rather test your RAM from inside your OS, try THIS ONE.

Hope that helps mate.

cheers dude, I seriously doubt its the memory but if all the psu tests fail then its another avenue.. ;)

monkeypants said:
Could you not use a different (full ATX) PSU outside the case to test whether it is the antec one in there that's causing the problems?

Its an aspire, I doubt I'd have these probs with an antec! Short answer is YES! I received my 20-24 pin psu adapter today and thats installed waiting to be tested, if that doesn't work I'll get hold of a proper atx 2.2 psu (I've got a feeling the 945G chipset technically requires that atx 2.2/btx standard anyway which might explain a lot) and test that and if that doesn't work I'm going to junk my current pc and get the 955 asus atx board and stick this cpu in my current pc and get a socket 939 NF4 matx board, an amd x2 4400 and try that instead from scratch. Or maybe just bin the lot in a fit of rage :D

I was extracting some files on this pc last night (not an OS m'lud honest) and it suddenly dawned on me how a dual core would stop my 4.3ghz animal from draggng itself to a hault... I'm set on dual core now thats for sure.

Back
Top Bottom