Project: Whatchamacallit!

Soldato
Great case - picked up an almost identical one off Fleabay about 5 years ago - just a coat of glossy black makes it look good - some decent modding and it can be stunning. As you said - great solid construction and plenty of space for extras!

Mine's wasted at the moment as it's been stolen to house my WHS box (love all the drive bays) - hope yours gets a more appropriate use. :D

Associate
Ooooh, there's a case almost identicle to this on fleabay right now, just with a slightly different front panel £40 postage included though, been tempted for ages to get an old case & give it a big make over, trouble is with £40 I could buy aluminium bars & pay for postage to make a quality frame so I just cant justify buying it, if it was £20 or £30 I'd go for it, just type in "server case" without the quotes in fleabay any budding modders interested ;).

Soldato
OP
Hey guys,

Never expected such a response for this! :)

I'm still in the planning stages for this, it's very much in the front of my mind but I've been busy recently as I'm training as a supervisor at work. Hopefully I'll have some updates asap!

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Probably going to need a paint job on that as a matter of urgency :) Looks like a potentially interesting build, good luck!!

Soldato
OP
Got a bit of an update on the system as a whole...

One of my dads work-mate's mentioned having some parts from his old PC since buying a laptop after they were talking about me needing components for a WHS.

He agreed to bring it in for me to have a look and then offer him something. Turned out to be Gigabyte motherboard on a VIA KT600 chipset, an AMD Athlon XP1700+ and an ATI 9550. So I had all of it! All in great condition too, couldn't see a spec of dust anywhere.

The next day I won a XP-M 2600+ Barton! :D Then I bought some Corsair Platinum DDR400 memory.

So now I have all the bits for not a lot of money.

I'm gonna start sanding down and primering the tower within the next couple days, so watch this space. Also ordered a couple 80mm fans for the back to cool the HDD's.

Soldato
OP
Holy thread revival etc...

Finally sorted out the components to put in to this case, Getting on a bit but still very usable today. Comprised of either things I had laying around, and parts I bought from MM (Thank you to those sellers! :))

Been drawing up plans since before xmas and I'll scan those in once they're finalised. Colour will be metallic blue exterior and satin black interior with a side window.

Anyway, specs:

Abit NF7-S v2.0
Athlon XP-M 2600+ Barton
Alpha Cooling PAL 8045 heatsink with an Arctic F8 80mm fan (around 30c and very quiet!)
Super Talent PC4000 2GB Dual Channel
ATI X1950 Pro 512MB
Western Digital RaptorX 150GB
Enermax Liberty Modular 450w PSU
2x Arctic F8 Pro 80mm fans for HDD exhaust.

P1000472Web.jpg

P1000477Web.jpg

Associate
Is it just me or can I not find the PSU, it looks like its at the front in that drive bay but that would make it really short, im just going by the braided cable going that direction.

The only other place I could imagine it would be going it below the hard drive cage up top.

Also, if your going to be cutting and painting etc why not make some holes for bigger fans, you could probably fit some 140mm in there with some creative cutting, there are a few nice metal grills that can be bought to cover the cut edges too. bigger fan, more airflow at lower speed, also quieter

Soldato
OP
I didn't have the PSU installed at the time of photo's as I was using it to test another system. It's placed between the CPU and the top hard drive cage.

140mm fans are too big as it's a rather narrow case. It'll have at least two 12cm's on the front and one on the top for exhaust.

Soldato
Awesome :D

It;s an Aopen HX-08 is it not? I had the exact same case many years ago with custom water-cooling.

Was epic! The top of the case always rattled for me :D

I had 2 X 80mm fan holes cut into the side panel and I think I had one cut in the front as well!

Removable motherboard tray made it a pleasure to build in.

Damn those photos bring back memories!

Back
Top Bottom