Projector screens - 80"ish?

Soldato
We use a projector for our TV viewing needs in our living room. We have always had this displayed directly on a painted wall, but now she's decided to paint the wall a darker colour I've finally won the argument and she's agreed to let me install a screen.

I'm not looking to spend a fortune (up to £150, but it would have to be electric for that budget). I've seen the cheap £30 ones from Amazon which look to unfold and then hang off the wall by a hook. I like the idea of these as they could be taken down when not in use making the room a bit nicer but appreciate you may get what you pay for. There's also the more expensive manual pull down which also seem OK.

Alternatively, I like the idea of an electric one. It would have to be wall mounted rather than ceiling mounted though.

Any recommendations welcome, before I just buy the cheapest thing I can find!

It's not a very good projector, we're not film buffs, so don't need super fancy but want something better than the wall!

If it was up to me, I'd have a TV table and a TV and get rid of the projector but it's not up to me.

Pulldown - https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasi...031&rnid=419157031&rps=1&s=electronics&sr=1-3
Cheap and cheerful - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Projector-...031&rnid=419157031&rps=1&s=electronics&sr=1-2

Man of Honour
The advantage of most walls is that they're flat. That's the problem with cheap -pulldown or -electric screens. To get the costs down to the sort of prices you've seen means cutting corners... a lot of corners.

The ways to get a flat screen surface all run counter to what cheap screen compromises require. It's either a thick surface - which means it's too heavy for the weedy motors or springs of a cheap mech; or a heavy counter bar to pull the surface flat which doesn't always work and has implications for the mech strength and shipping (can't stand them upright without risking straining the surface), or you have a screen with tab tensioning which costs way more than budget screens allow.

All cheap screens ripple. Some it's straight away. Others it's more gradual so after a couple of day's you have curly edges and bumps in the surface.

Soldato
OP
The advantage of most walls is that they're flat. That's the problem with cheap -pulldown or -electric screens. To get the costs down to the sort of prices you've seen means cutting corners... a lot of corners.

The ways to get a flat screen surface all run counter to what cheap screen compromises require. It's either a thick surface - which means it's too heavy for the weedy motors or springs of a cheap mech; or a heavy counter bar to pull the surface flat which doesn't always work and has implications for the mech strength and shipping (can't stand them upright without risking straining the surface), or you have a screen with tab tensioning which costs way more than budget screens allow.

All cheap screens ripple. Some it's straight away. Others it's more gradual so after a couple of day's you have curly edges and bumps in the surface.

What's the solution then? If I have to spend £150 on a non mechanical one that won't ripple I'd be OK with that I suppose. Is there anything to look at here or am I going to have to spend a lot more or paint a white rectangle on the wall?...

Soldato
You're trying to buy something that just isn't attainable at the price you want. You're trying to bend the universe to what suits you, sorry but no decent motorised screens that will stay flat at that price point.

Like you want a new lambo for fiesta money, not going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom